South East 'drive It Day' Run 26Th April Anyone?

smiffy220

Ok for Kent section how about from edenbridge we pick up the A264 towards tun bridge wells,onto A227 then onto A20 up pass brands hatch then onto the dartford crossing,ready to head over into Essex.

Exactly around where I was thinking Brian, sounds good. Can you find somewhere for a comfort break somewhere before we head over the crossing?

This is such a great thing to do but I don't know if I can actually get down there or not due to distance. I don't know which way I would come down because I have never been that way before so I would have to go by which way the sat nav took me. Never been in a Manta convoy so this for me would be thoroughly enjoyable and I will have to see if I can get down there first.

M1 then M25 down Jack, simples. A14 then M1 going back. Made it easy for you!!!

Ok, so it looks like meeting somewhere near Caterham or Godstone ideally circa 10am, we've yet to come up with a suitable start venue. A good easy to find layby that has a good brekkie burger bar there would suffice to be honest? Any suggestions?

Then head off about 10.30am down the A22, across to Edenbridge, then Royal Tunbridge Wells, back up passed Brands Hatch, and on towards the Dartford Crossing, stopping somewhere for a comfort break!

Once through the crossing, I was thinking to take the Lakeside junction and drive passed the Karting track, just south of the A13, through Grays, and then join the A13 further along near Basildon for the new bit passed Pitsea and onto the Junction with the A1245. Take the A1245 Battlesbridge bypass to the Rettendon Turnpike, then drive through South Woodham Ferrers, finding somewhere to stop for lunch, then up to Danbury onto Maldon, then pick up the B1022 all the way to Colchester. From Colchester, I need to work a route taking in some of the nicer parts of North Essex, some lovely little roads and villages there, and ending up into Suffolk, somewhere just north of the A14 around Bury St Edmunds for about 4pm ish.

Does something like this work for everyone interested?

Ok, so it looks like meeting somewhere near Caterham or Godstone ideally circa 10am, we've yet to come up with a suitable start venue. A good easy to find layby that has a good brekkie burger bar there would suffice to be honest? Any suggestions?

Then head off about 10.30am down the A22, across to Edenbridge, then Royal Tunbridge Wells, back up passed Brands Hatch, and on towards the Dartford Crossing, stopping somewhere for a comfort break!

Once through the crossing, I was thinking to take the Lakeside junction and drive passed the Karting track, just south of the A13, through Grays, and then join the A13 further along near Basildon for the new bit passed Pitsea and onto the Junction with the A1245. Take the A1245 Battlesbridge bypass to the Rettendon Turnpike, then drive through South Woodham Ferrers, finding somewhere to stop for lunch, then up to Danbury onto Maldon, then pick up the B1022 all the way to Colchester. From Colchester, I need to work a route taking in some of the nicer parts of North Essex, some lovely little roads and villages there, and ending up into Suffolk, somewhere just north of the A14 around Bury St Edmunds for about 4pm ish.

Does something like this work for everyone interested?

I guess we'll need to make sure there's adequate fuel stops en route for Karls car also huh??

All sounds good Dave. Not sure what you ment with your comment I think I missed that joke!

Lay-bys ?? I thought you knew all the best ones in the south?

We better make sure that the guys that are meeting there don't start flashing there lights or it could turn out to me a totally different day

All sounds good Dave. Not sure what you ment with your comment I think I missed that joke!

Lay-bys ?? I thought you knew all the best ones in the south?

We better make sure that the guys that are meeting there don't start flashing there lights or it could turn out to me a totally different day

Haha, good point Karl, although I'm not sure you'll attract too much attention at that time on a Sunday morning! Is that how it works mate? You seem well versed? Lol.

I was meaning maybe heavier right foot and therefore likely to use more fuel than me, that's all fella! Just hoping you can make it!

Just seen this thread, thanks for the heads up Dave. I am so up for this it will be the cars first long trip. Caterham is not far from me. The burger vans don't open on a sunday in the two nearest laybys to the M25. I will try and find somewhere that fits the bill for a start point.

All, I have the offer of reserved parking and a Sunday carvery at The Three Rivers country club in Coldnorton in Essex. I'll need to book asap, so ideally need confirmed numbers of people and cars coming so I can book. They need also deposits of £10 per person. What are thoughts all? Yes/no, cost ok please?

Really gutted I can't make this - supposed to be in a concert in London during the afternoon and it's tricky to get out of - but maybe I'll try.  Other trouble is that the Manta's off the road at the moment for the first time since I've owned it - sheared bolt in the driver's seat so the back won't stay upright and, so far, I can't get the rest of the bolt out of the hole  :(

Stuart

Edited by 74009

Really gutted I can't make this - supposed to be in a concert in London during the afternoon and it's tricky to get out of - but maybe I'll try.  Other trouble is that the Manta's off the road at the moment for the first time since I've owned it - sheared bolt in the driver's seat so the back won't stay upright and, so far, I can't get the rest of the bolt out of the hole  :(

Stuart

It would be good to have you join us Stuart, hope you can get out of your concert. Having a date like this in your diary should give you the push to get your seat fixed. I did an oil change on mine yesterday and now need to sort the back brakes.

A quick update for you, Simon P has very kindly agreed to host our finish of the day at his Farm/Workshops near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. Many thanks Simon.

This means a long drive up from Caterham way, but hopefully it will be good fun and with a couple of stops, including our carvery and reserved parking here www.threeriversclub/carvery it will make for an interesting run.

So I have confirmed:-

Me

Brian + 1 Paid

Richard Paid

Karl Paid

Jay + 1 (and baby) Paid

Martin Paid

Dom Paid

Darren Paid

With possibles who have shown interest but not confirmed:-

Mark

Stuart

Jack

Wendy

Cost for basic carvery is £9.95, but extra for dessert etc. Hope that's ok with everyone? I need to pay deposits for this, so if you can pm me, I can give you address for cheques, or details for paypal etc?

Thanks guys. Now the hard bit of writing up the route, doing a recce and finding suitable start point!

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

Looks like a 6 car convoy then all, possibly with Karl in a modern, and I'll need to book the lunch venue for about 12.30pm, so I'll book for 6 cars and 8 persons (assuming Dom will want to eat?). Hope that's ok with everyone.

I did some quick route planners and we're going to be tight on time, so I reckon we'll need to leave by 10am on the road, so maybe 9 - 9.30am meet, then head off at 10am. Hope ok with everyone?

I might re-jig parts of the planned route onto faster roads here and there to allow for a bit of traffic. Would rather be at lunch early and have a drink, than late and lose our table!

Planning to arrive at Simon's about 4 - 4.30pm. Then up to you all to make your own ways home.

Hi

I'm very interested in this run ,im in gravesend kent , I was also hoping to come to the pub meet this month .is there one on ?

Hi Wendy, I'm not sure about a pub meet this month. I have family arriving from the US on that Sunday so hadn't planned anything. I might see what everyone thinks and consider it.

The end of April meet will effectively be this run, so you'd be more than welcome. Please can you confirm ASAP and re the lunch, as I need to book this shortly?

Thanks, be good to meet you and see you at some of my meets.

Dave

Hi Dave et al

Just looking at start points tonight whilst I was out. Not sure how many are coming to the start point. Anyway we could meet at the car park in Godstone at the green over looking the village pond or if coffee and snack is required the shell petrol station in Godstone has a Costa machine. Both these sites are only minutes from the Caterham M25 tturn off albeit on the south side of the motorway.

Anyway just a couple of ideas.

Ok, following the pub meet on Sunday, I may have to bring the start venue back towards Kent a bit or we won't have time to get to the lunch venue, which I wanted to get to for 12.30pm.

So far, there are four cars paid including me, and 5 people. I really must have confirmed numbers and deposits by this Sunday (5th) please or you will miss out on lunch! Sorry to put a timescale on this, but I must book this and pay the deposits.

Dave

So we're at that seemingly impossible number of 6 attendees that we just can't seem to beat. We've only ever managed a maximum of 6 cars at any one meet or at the Battlesbridge show last year. It seems 6 is the magic number, so thank you all for your payment. I'll get cracking on the route now and will hopefully have everything ready to get to you before the day.

Any other latecomers, let me know ASAP and I'll see if the table for lunch can be extended.

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1