Clutch Kit For A Gt/e 1984

Jack

Didn't think this was a problem myself until i read this thread, i could try another line of attach, tomorrow i'll send an E-mail to Roy in the Netherlands ( comes to Billing every year ) they might have a supplyer because there are more Manta's still in the low countires and Germany.

The other issue is which clutch, there are two different input shaft spline styles, i think they changed over just before the exclusiv came out.

My local parts place had a full QH clutch kit on the shelf in September last year and its most likely still there (as the only person around here who would buy it is me)

I can check later and see if its still there and what the price is.

Hello and thanks for all the responses its all appreciated. Well I have to say the parts are a big issue with old cars and my manta is an example of that. I am considering selling it at some point because I think it needs someone who knows more about them than I do and can keep it properly. I am using it everyday and I have to question myself whether or not it actually likes being used every day. Its a thought I have had for a while but I will see what happens.

My local parts place had a full QH clutch kit on the shelf in September last year and its most likely still there (as the only person around here who would buy it is me)

I can check later and see if its still there and what the price is.

If you could find out how much it is and I can afford it I will buy it for sure so could you ask them for me please?

I never knew they made a four speed gte b series?

Yes this was only available in Europe, fuel injected Manta's started with the A Series GTE and continued on with the B Series, the UK did not get the GTE till the Manta was face lifted

1975_Opel_Manta_SR_GTE.jpg

1975 Manta SR GTE - this would have used the four speed gearbox, the five gearbox arriving with the face lift.

Well I have to say the parts are a big issue with old cars and my manta is an example of that. I am considering selling it at some point

I really do not think it is as big an issue as people make out. People post on here all the time asking where to get new parts that are freely available at any motor factor, instead of trying the motor factors first and then resorting to here. Not saying we aren't happy to help but perception is it is harder than it in reality is.

One of the main problems is these cars disappear out of parts catalogs, old catalogs give the part nos and separates which often are used on newer cars if people only knew.................

Kit, Pressure Plate, Friction Plate, Release Bearing

QKT173AF, Q90150, C998AF, CCT105

QKT1114AF, Q90150, C998AF, CCT314

Some sort of change over around 85 / certain chassis no.

I don't know either it just said that on the advert and it says the bearing is different so doesn't fit a 5 speed. hopefully i can get another bearing and fit it.

For example the later CCT314 release bearing is in a load of the Astra F upto 98 and some Astra Classic G up to late 2002, Corsa B to 2000

The earlier bearing is on some cars up to the mid 90s.

Now lets take the clutch parts of a traditional clutch:

Flywheel - Pretty much last forever

Clutch Pressure Plate - Single most expensive and complex part of a clutch kit. However, these easy last 4 or 5 clutch plates

Friction Plate - Wearing part, relatively frequently replaced and the most common single part making you change a clutch

Release bearing - Used to be £5 cheapest part and was always daft not to put one in because they were so cheap. Some have a plastic surface and need the pressure plate to have a slip ring on or they get ripped up so metal ones are best.

The point here is about 15 years ago people started not to warranty clutch parts bought individually and as labour was more than parts people started buying kits instead of just what was needed. Great for garages, no more work but more profit on the difference between trade and retail parts. More parts fitted same effort.

Most clutches I have ever fitted have been a friction plate and a release bearing only and never had a premature failure and I keep cars for decades so it was not like it was sold on and I don't know.

Most factors will have an application catalog that cross references one manufacturers part to another manufacturers part no, so that can help if you know part nos.

Finally many motor factors will have a supplier that does remanufactured or recon clutches. They will also typically not warrant individual parts or only do them as a set / set with warranty. What you probably get here is a skimmed pressure plate a new bearing and a clutch plate with new friction surfaces riveted on and new springs inside so all fine. The above will usually be available up front with a surcharge refunded on returning your old ones, or if they don't have one, if you ask, a helpful motor factor will have yours sent off and remanufactured for you.

For example Andrew Page in Bolton sent off my wife's Kadett rack for a recon for me as supplier didn't have an exchange unit.

Now the main thing to avoid is running your old clutch down to the rivets as that does score the pressure plate and flywheel, though again I have used scored ones many times with no judder and adverse affects but that's just me.

Hope that helps if you are stuck.

Oh and don't throw your old clutch away. I repack mine in the new ones box for future use or recon.

I knew there would be advantages to owning an Automatic.

Seriously though Jack i am sure you'll be able to source a clutch, don't sell the Manta but consider getting another cheap modern car as your daily driver when funds permit.

Edited by Rapierdave

Just want to make people aware as maybe some of you who read it might have taken it the wrong way. My point was that being the car nut I am and what I mean by that is I cant think of anything else but cars for any amount of time so I know as well as anyone else that with passion you can have any car and the road no matter how rare it is so please don't think I was meaning to sell because I cant find a clutch. I want to experience different cars in my life as I think I would feel wasted only having one and there is no way I can have a second car as well for a few reasons. No way can I afford one and to be honest I want to use my Manta otherwise I would miss it dearly. Last night when I was imagining if I actually sold it, even thinking about it broke my heart so much that I could have sobbed all night. Can anyone tell me if my clutch that I bought will fit if I get the right release bearing if mine cant be used again? Good news is my clutch is on its way. 

Just want to make people aware as maybe some of you who read it might have taken it the wrong way. My point was that being the car nut I am and what I mean by that is I cant think of anything else but cars for any amount of time so I know as well as anyone else that with passion you can have any car and the road no matter how rare it is so please don't think I was meaning to sell because I cant find a clutch. I want to experience different cars in my life as I think I would feel wasted only having one and there is no way I can have a second car as well for a few reasons. No way can I afford one and to be honest I want to use my Manta otherwise I would miss it dearly. Last night when I was imagining if I actually sold it, even thinking about it broke my heart so much that I could have sobbed all night.

Understood.

TBH you are on a lose / lose

If you sell the manta it will take on a magical nostalgia and in years to come you will buy one again and it not measure up to the memory and if you keep it it will drive you mad from time to time.

Since My Manta has been off the road I have bought a 1995 328 (non sport on style 32s LSD) It's just like a quicker better handling Manta but you need to back off the throttle from time to time with the LSD which you never had to in the Manta.

Should have got one years ago. Then bought an M3 Should have bought one years ago.

You see a load of people that have quick car after quick car - more about the chase, they probably should collect something small and save money :) as the purchase itself never keeps them happy for long.

When the Manta is finished a mate of mine is probably borrowing it for a year - idea being I won't have to see the darn thing for a while :)

Can anyone tell me if my clutch that I bought will fit if I get the right release bearing if mine cant be used again? Good news is my clutch is on its way.

To be honest, and not trying to sound harsh, but read the long post I did earlier. It appears at least one manufacturer lists 2 out of 3 parts the same, difference being the release bearing and I've listed some recent cars the later bearing is found on and the part no a decent factor can cross reference.

If the seller says the friction and pressure plate fit also (which they do from your earlier posts) that looks like it fits from at least 2 sources. However, no one on here knows if they have the right stuff in the box.

Regarding release bearing if it is not whining or screaming and when you lightly put your toe on the clutch you don't feel harsh vibrations through it, then it's working fine. Barring some of the caveats in my earlier post, if you haven't another, at present there is no reason to believe you need another one.

That said, we don't know what has happened to your car in 30 odd years. You could have an older engine, someone could have fitted a Monza flywheel for a slightly bigger clutch, you could have a performance clutch (most of this makes no difference).

You may even find performance clutch kits for the manta to be more freely available than standard.

• Like 1

Nothing in this world or life is permanent you can spend all the time in the world worrying but it will end up in the scrap yard and you will be in the ground one day regardless of how much time and trouble you take looking after it.

Best enjoy it (and life) because its a tiny flash of time in an infinite vast universe of time, I have no idea where the last 20 year have gone.  I was there but I don't recall pushing the fast forward button.  :)

Regard to the clutch, the best thing to do now is get hold of a handy good garage who will remove your gearbox and take the clutch out and look at it, then if its not worn out just put a new release bearing in to stop the squeak or fit a new friction plate and bearing if there is wear on the friction disc.

this is the best advice.  you are now needing to get eyes on the thing.

Nothing in this world or life is permanent you can spend all the time in the world worrying but it will end up in the scrap yard and you will be in the ground one day regardless of how much time and trouble you take looking after it.

Best enjoy it (and life) because its a tiny flash of time in an infinite vast universe of time, I have no idea where the last 20 year have gone.  I was there but I don't recall pushing the fast forward button.  :)

Regard to the clutch, the best thing to do now is get hold of a handy good garage who will remove your gearbox and take the clutch out and look at it, then if its not worn out just put a new release bearing in to stop the squeak or fit a new friction plate and bearing if there is wear on the friction disc.

this is the best advice.  you are now needing to get eyes on the thing.

Good news to the advice from everyone my clutch arrived today :) unkown if it fits but will have to see. My Manta is coming to petrolhead heaven with me and knowhere else :D I have to say I cant explain how much my life has changed since 2008 to now. Reason I say 2008 is that's y second year to Billing ever, I went in 2007 too and I was still at school back then, This is less than 10 years ago but cant tell you how long ago it feels, it is as though it is a different life ago. I turn 23 on the 20th of this month and the next thing I know I will be 30!

:) I bought my first Manta before you were born, only by a couple of years. Bought my Wife's Opel Kadett Before you were born too. Still got the Kadett and the circuit board and temp volt gauge out of that first 1981 Manta are in my current one.

10 years will feel along time to you now, it's nearly half your life, when 10 years is less than a quarter it become roughly how long welding a Manta takes :)

(I think I have T shirts nearly as old s you :) )

• Like 1

Its so scary I cant imagine years going by so fast and it just shows how much I have to learn. I wouldn't have thought to have achieved a dream at the age of 22 back in 07/08. time needs to slow down and my manta turned 30 in December so im sure it can teach me a thing or to!