1979 Opel Manta Berlinetta Sr 2.0Lt Restoration Project

This will be a very good buy for someone,

yes it needs work, welding and a respray, but the areas of rot are limited ( one rot spot, lower rear quarters,inside the boot, look good ) and there are repair sections or fabrication is possible.

The best part about this Manta is trim and fittings. The car is complete, no hunting round for obscure bits of trim,  Then look at that interior, it appears in near mint condition, nothing missing, nothing broken or worn.

this could be an easy project for someone.

• Like 1

The price of this Manta is higher than some might expect for a project,

but think about this, the interior would not need any work, to get an interior re-upholsterd would be over £1k, buying rare trim would cost more money, basket case welding would cost huge amounts...

if you add together the purchase price to the likely restoration cost, this Manta stands a good chance of being cheeper than other resto projects

• Like 1

Not that expensive at all - the interior is worth half the price of the car so good luck.

Signing up to the OMOC will give you access to the spares section for sale by members & lots of good free advise.

Yours will turn out like my ex Manta some day :)  

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/37540-opel-manta-b-sr-25k-miles-1980-£4850/

hi thanks thats great need a pair of sills, your manta looks great,

do you no if the wheels on my manta are standard, as i have only seen those wheels on a manta gtj, i really want to keep the manta as original as possible, so if they are not right, i will be looking for an original set of alloys. 

• Like 1

Hi Russ

I believe you've got your self a great car there.

It would be nice if it could stay largely original as early Manta "b's" that are original are now rare beasts.

The wheels are the first thing to ditch IMHO, the car would have originally come with Rostyles or you could have optional ATS alloys, either will look good depending what you prefer.

If you want to change the auto box for either a 4 speed or later 5 speed conversion then plenty of people on here can advise.

My Manta is an auto with the same interior as yours & is on Rostyles & my Ascona sits on ATS classics which were an option.

Welcome to Manta land  :)

20140111_131106.jpg

Here are what the ATS classics look like.

20130512_090142.jpg

Edited by Rapierdave

thanks i like the look of the alloys, i will have to look for a set of them,  also im going to give the auto box a try first see how i get on with it, i would have preferred a manual, but i will just see how it goes,

how do you find the auto box on your car ?.

i really want to keep it as original as pos,

i have bought it to use as a second car, so hopefully if all goes well i will have it on the road for spring.

planing on doing the bodywork, and just blending the paint work in for now, just to get me rolling, then hopefully get a full respray next year 

im hopping i can get the dent out of the front bumper, has anyone had ago at getting the dent out of the bumpers,

The GM 3 speed box fitted is a generally reliable unit, having an auto is like Marmite you either like it or hate it.

A lot of older surviving Auto B's tend to be in relatively good nick probably due to them being owned by elderly people who garaged them & didn't "boy race" them.

I find that on the 1.9 engine having the auto box does not affect performance that much & pootling about around town is very relaxed but at motorway speeds around 75mph the car is revving at 4000 rpm which makes it a bit noisy on long journeys.

The 4 speed manual box as fitted to pre 1982 Manta's & Cav MK 1's does not really offer much advantage over the auto imo, my Ascona has a 5 speed getrag box fitted but retaining the original 4 speed stick & console so giving a look of originallity & it does make for a more relaxed trip up to Billing from Bristol  :)

Paul Newport (paulmanta on the forum) used to own my Ascona & can give you very good advise on the gearbox & stick conversion.

The only problem with having a 5 speed is that spares are becoming hard to find including clutches.

On the Auto box spares like the kick down cables are difficult to find, but you can always get them re-manufactured.

I had a distortion in a bumper on a previous Manta (PYC) i owned & i took it off got a plastic mallet on it & made it look better but not perfect.

Here is a pic of the front bumper on PYC just before i bought it & then after a bit of hammering.

Manta%2520B%25208.jpg

017.jpg

Edited by Rapierdave

I've got. 4 ATS Classics here in Bristol They need to be blasted and painted, yours for the price of shipping to you if you want them for free.

That's the benefit of being a member of the OMOC, consider a free set of wheels a "taster" of life in this brilliant club!!

• Like 4

thats great, i will pick them up, if they are free thats really great, thanks, is it ok if i collect them next week,

as really busy this week, got to sell my fiat strada abarth, that i have owned for 4 years, to make way for my manta always wanted a early manta sr

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza

I've got. 4 ATS Classics here in Bristol They need to be blasted and painted, yours for the price of shipping to you if you want them for free.

That's the benefit of being a member of the OMOC, consider a free set of wheels a "taster" of life in this brilliant club!!

Well done Strada, nice gesture  :thumbup

• Like 1

Great car you got there,this and the silver gte on ebay are the best restoration/project cars i,ve seen and at real world money to. :thumbup

Untill last year i had a mint front bumper for this model,however inspired by stradacabs generosity,i have a mint o/s front wing which i am more than happy to donate for your project.

And the brucey bonus is i live in telford to  :)

jason

• Like 1

thats great i was not looking forward to repairing the wing on the car, it will save me hours of work, really generous, but im not a free loader i will have to give you something for it.

have you lived in telford all your life, my brother used to work at greenhouse telford, and my father used to dismantle vauxhall chevettes and vivas when i was a kid, we used to live in coalport, 

thats great i was not looking forward to repairing the wing on the car, it will save me hours of work, really generous, but im not a free loader i will have to give you something for it.

have you lived in telford all your life, my brother used to work at greenhouse telford, and my father used to dismantle vauxhall chevettes and vivas when i was a kid, we used to live in coalport, 

ok,just give us shout (pm) when your ready for the wing and i will dig it out for you.

I was born in shrewsbury,then moved to telford :)  .greenhous telford is where my manta was originally bought from as it happens.

Ah the the viva,my first car and the chevette was the bread  knifes first car both still love them.

Have you got or had a droop snoot firenza,thats the one i really wanted,but a viva 1800 gls is as close as i got,there used to be a black v8 firenza knocking round telford but not seen it for a while.

yes i had a droop snoot for around 4 years it was an awesome car, i was always really worried with the parts situation

I sold the hp firenza, then bought my strada abarth, which was also a great car, but i sold that today, to make way for my manta

but i want a classic i can use all the year round, and a car thats a bit more comfy on long journeys, that is why i bought the manta, i thought if i do not get one soon the price could go crazy, as they are really going up in value.

i owned a manta gte coupe in the 90s, gun metal grey, i always regretted selling it. i do not no why i sold it,

i have always wanted an early manta, as i remember them in the 70s. a friend of mine had one, and i have great memories of going out in that car, it felt like a rolls royce in the 70s compared with many other cars of that time.

the manta was such a great car but getting one with a good interior is not easy, 

i may come for the wing sunday if thats ok

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza