1979 Opel Manta Berlinetta Sr 2.0Lt Restoration Project

I've got. 4 ATS Classics here in Bristol They need to be blasted and painted, yours for the price of shipping to you if you want them for free.

That's the benefit of being a member of the OMOC, consider a free set of wheels a "taster" of life in this brilliant club!!

hi could you ship the wheels out and let me no how much you want for the costs,. i can send you payment by paypal, bank transfer cheque, what ever suits you.

im trying to get the car on the road asap, as i need it for our second car. as i have sold my fiat strada

i have got to go and collect a gearbox for the manta now so going to be flat out, did not bank on having to change the auto box but it is making loads of noise, and not pulling away properly,

yes i had a droop snoot for around 4 years it was an awesome car, i was always really worried with the parts situation

I sold the hp firenza, then bought my strada abarth, which was also a great car, but i sold that today, to make way for my manta

but i want a classic i can use all the year round, and a car thats a bit more comfy on long journeys, that is why i bought the manta, i thought if i do not get one soon the price could go crazy, as they are really going up in value.

i owned a manta gte coupe in the 90s, gun metal grey, i always regretted selling it. i do not no why i sold it,

i have always wanted an early manta, as i remember them in the 70s. a friend of mine had one, and i have great memories of going out in that car, it felt like a rolls royce in the 70s compared with many other cars of that time.

the manta was such a great car but getting one with a good interior is not easy, 

i may come for the wing sunday if thats ok

pm sent :thumbup

I've got. 4 ATS Classics here in Bristol They need to be blasted and painted, yours for the price of shipping to you if you want them for free.

That's the benefit of being a member of the OMOC, consider a free set of wheels a "taster" of life in this brilliant club!!

hi im collecting the gearbox in the morning, from northampton. would it be ok if i then headed over to bristol and collected the wheels, if i can get all the parts together sunday that would be great, as i have got everything else i need, the wheels are the last thing on my list.

regards Russ

Nice to see another getting saved and most importantly used. Hope you get that wee gearbox problem sorted. You can always change it later to 4speed or 5 speed. Quite easy to gather bits up and do it later. The way you use the car should depict what gearbox. I find the 4 speed manual great, not too many motor ways here, its great for b roads. Keep her in 4th, lift when showing, power is there just accelerate again. No need to drop a cog. But as said above a screamer above 70mph. 5 speed for motorway, stick her in 5th and cruise. Auto for surburban cruising. Health to enjoy!

Edited by brady

The GM 3 speed box fitted is a generally reliable unit, having an auto is like Marmite you either like it or hate it.

A lot of older surviving Auto B's tend to be in relatively good nick probably due to them being owned by elderly people who garaged them & didn't "boy race" them.

I find that on the 1.9 engine having the auto box does not affect performance that much & pootling about around town is very relaxed but at motorway speeds around 75mph the car is revving at 4000 rpm which makes it a bit noisy on long journeys.

The 4 speed manual box as fitted to pre 1982 Manta's & Cav MK 1's does not really offer much advantage over the auto imo, my Ascona has a 5 speed getrag box fitted but retaining the original 4 speed stick & console so giving a look of originallity & it does make for a more relaxed trip up to Billing from Bristol  :)

Paul Newport (paulmanta on the forum) used to own my Ascona & can give you very good advise on the gearbox & stick conversion.

The only problem with having a 5 speed is that spares are becoming hard to find including clutches.

On the Auto box spares like the kick down cables are difficult to find, but you can always get them re-manufactured.

I had a distortion in a bumper on a previous Manta (PYC) i owned & i took it off got a plastic mallet on it & made it look better but not perfect.

Here is a pic of the front bumper on PYC just before i bought it & then after a bit of hammering.

Manta%2520B%25208.jpg

017.jpg

As an elderly person with two auto Mantas I second Dave's comments. :o   A bit revvy on the Motoway but you get used to them and they temd not to have been driven as hard as manuals.