79 Sr Coupe Project

droop snoot hp firenza

WOW !!! your turning this Manta round quick !!

When you first got it you were so worried about buying a dud, now look at it all shiney sat there on ATS Alloys, swop the gearbox and your on the road with a very decent Manta.

Be interesting to add up the total cost, I will guess that it will be well under £2k, in which case this will a cheep Manta for this quality !!

• Like 1

Hi Russ

That's amazingly quick progress on your car, are those ATS wheels from James already been repainted ?

For originality don't forget to fit headlight wiper arms & blades, have you got centre caps for the wheels ?

If your planning on bringing the car to Billing & i hope you are then please hook up with us in the South Wales & West section.

Great results, what paint did you use? The photos of orange mantas above are not mine, they are in ireland though! My favourite orange manta is mates ywx. Its got widened rostyles and totally changes the car. I think manta need the arches filled, right to the edge. Otherwise they look like a e type jag, not a good look!! I just like wider wheels. I can see your car turning into a gem, looks the biz. You need to slow down and chill, u work too fast.... but keep the pics coming.

Hi Russ

That's amazingly quick progress on your car, are those ATS wheels from James already been repainted ?

For originality don't forget to fit headlight wiper arms & blades, have you got centre caps for the wheels ?

If your planning on bringing the car to Billing & i hope you are then please hook up with us in the South Wales & West section.

Hi yes defiantly going to billing in the new manta I will bring the tent and stay over,

Yes these are the wheels from James, I have only done a quickie on the wheels.

No I have not got any centre caps, if anyone has any for sale, I would be grateful.

Any ideas where I can get the wiper blades from,

Just taken the inspection plate of the gearbox, the 3 bolts where lose, tightened them up, the rattle noise has gone great, went for a test drive

But the transmission is still very jerky and really snatchy on take of, and slips to much when going up hills,

I'm going to do an oil change, what oil should I use, is it just standard auto transmission oil, are there any filters, I'm hoping it might be ok with new oil, any thoughts.

Also how do I check the oil level, is it running and in gear

Great results, what paint did you use? The photos of orange mantas above are not mine, they are in ireland though! My favourite orange manta is mates ywx. Its got widened rostyles and totally changes the car. I think manta need the arches filled, right to the edge. Otherwise they look like a e type jag, not a good look!! I just like wider wheels. I can see your car turning into a gem, looks the biz. You need to slow down and chill, u work too fast.... but keep the pics coming.

Hi the paint I used is 2k acrylic jawel paints straight out of the rattle can it works out more expensive using rattle cans at £10 a go and it does not set as fast as using 2k with separate hardener added, but I prefer to do the work at home, so I just paint a panel at a time, flat back, then buff up with g3 and a damp sponge,

I bought some max Meyer first but the colour match was not as good, as jawel, they where having problems getting the correct mix.

Hi there just read all through this project and I love your Manta its a really nice looking early B. The work you have done on it is great too and you did it so fast! Very interesting project and I will keep reading with enthusiasm.

Keep up the good work

Jack

Hi Russ

I think you check the transmission oil level with the engine running & warmed up with the selector in the park position.

The wiper blades and arms may be available from Paul Barrett who you got the gearbox off as i believe he took them off of his Manta B.

Centre caps should be available from ebay or maybe James has a set he could sell you?

• Like 1

hi added some photos of new sill fitted, repair to the arch, rear quarter painted,, had to paint the door also as the paint match did not look right. straightened front bumper.

had to imprevise on the next jobs for now. the headlight wipers are non genuine blades of ebay £2 pair, the arms are just home made for show,

non genuine centre caps fitted,  Â£10 set of 4 ebay had to make them fit, but they will do until i can get the right set of centres and headlight wipers for the car.

Picture%202623_zpsk9is3kgg.jpg

Picture%202630_zps1bec3n3r.jpg

Picture%202624_zpsxxjatsa2.jpg

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza
  • Like 3

Your making a fine job of that car, I like the fact also the paint finish not just the colour matches well, to many time people use the 2k paint up against the old and looks to shinny.

Glad James and some of the others have helped you out.

Keep an eye on my post of the HPF as having exhaust made this week!

the body work is just a quick job to get it looking tidy and on the road, in the summer i will go over some of the work again, as the filler on the wing has already started sinking, so hopefully come summer it should have all settled down,

its great getting help. i would have probably ended up buying another car just to break. and that would have meant more money, my car would not have been done until next year, with the help and advice i have received from the members, the car should be on the road next month all being well, thanks for all your help, i will bring some crates of beer to billing  :thumbup.

sent you a pm Paul great

has anyone got an old red door card, so i can cut some material of the patch mine up, as i only need to do a small repair on the door cards

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza
  • Like 2

hi added some photos of new sill fitted, repair to the arch, rear quarter painted,, had to paint the door also as the paint match did not look right. straightened front bumper.

had to imprevise on the next jobs for now. the headlight wipers are non genuine blades of ebay £2 pair, the arms are just home made for show,

non genuine centre caps fitted,  Â£10 set of 4 ebay had to make them fit, but they will do until i can get the right set of centres and headlight wipers for the car.

Picture%202623_zpsk9is3kgg.jpg

Picture%202624_zpsxxjatsa2.jpg

Youre doing her proud this Manta couldnt have gone to a better home :thumbup

Just to remind everyone of how this Manta arrived on the 19th February -

Picture2575_zps6d23c6c5.jpg

and now, 4th march

the body work is just a quick job to get it looking tidy

WOW !!! if i sent round one of mine could you do a 'quick job' on that !!

This Manta looks as good as any other classic car you would see at a show, Major 'hats off' for doing this so well in such a short space of time.

• Like 2