79 Sr Coupe Project

droop snoot hp firenza

thanks for the kind words, my hands are getting battered with all the work i have been putting in, but im really happy how its coming on,

there are a few faults that are not showing up in the photos, there is a run on the door that i have got to sort out, and the filler has sunk on the wing, but im happy how its coming on, sorted this miss fire today, changed plugs leads points condenser dizy cap, and got hold of an  nos original coil, its now running great.

Picture%202645_zpstgregegl.jpg

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza
  • Like 2

Of course now you have just given yourself more work showing all of us a picture of the engine bay.....

We will now expect you to strip off all the ancillaries from the engine, paint it engine black, then recondition each item before re-fitting them, all before next weekend !!!

Joking aside, if you do get the engine bay fettish then i have found stainless steel pan scourers are good for removing alloy corrosion and for the cam cover and air filter housing Hammerite Smooth Black from a spray can comes out as good as identical to the original Opel Black ( the block was a matt black type paint )

thanks for the advice will paint the engine bay next.

just finished welding the other sill.

also set the timing on the car with my strobe light, and it was set way to far advanced, so i have had to alter the carb to slow the tick over down now,

there was also 2 vacuum hoses split,

found out also the second choke was not working on the carb, due to the manual choke not shutting of completely, and that was stopping the second choke on the carb cutting in, the car is much faster now, well pleased,

the only job left now is prime and paint all the suspension arms and the underside of the car. i was thinking of painting the inner arches red, and the suspension black.

also got to check all the brakes, it all looks good though.

Picture%202648_zpsooreqwex.jpg

• Like 1

painted engine bay, primed and wax oiled underneath, that was hard work the manta is massive,  

jobs to do replace exhaust, fit new steering rack gaiters, hopefully should be ready for the mot,

still want to fit the tube in the head to make an oil bath,

before i get the manta on the road, as i do not want to trash the camshaft, the car runs really well, its quit fast, want to look after it

Picture%202669_zpslmdt50ec.jpg

• Like 3

thanks for the kind words, the car was quite tidy when i got it,

i was very lucky really, esp with the gearbox help and advice i received, and the help with getting the missing parts together, thanks guys,

i bought the manta to use as my main car so it will be getting a lot of use, its not going to be a show car. the pictures make it look better than it is, the wheels, i just rushed them, so i will go over them again , the filler on both wings is now sinking so i will have to go over them again when its all settled in. and stopped sinking,

the paint on the roof is quite faded, as i have not touched that.

painted engine bay, primed and wax oiled underneath, that was hard work the manta is massive,  

jobs to do replace exhaust, fit new steering rack gaiters, hopefully should be ready for the mot,

still want to fit the tube in the head to make an oil bath,

before i get the manta on the road, as i do not want to trash the camshaft, the car runs really well, its quit fast, want to look after it

Picture%202669_zpslmdt50ec.jpg

engine bay looks brill mate,you got the black finish spot on with that factory fresh look. B)  :thumbup

got in touch with the previous owner of my manta today Tony harris omoc member, a really nice genuine guy, who owned and cherished the car for over 10 years,

he sold the car a few months back, to someone who said they where going to restore it, 

the car came with 7 ats alloys in mint condition, multi cd player, service book and loads of history and old mots,  they offered him £300, he sold it for £600,

turns out the guy just sold the wheels of kept the radio then put it up for sale for just under  Â£1300, Tonys not to happy

i really can not understand why the person has kept the service books and history back, i really do not think you could get more than £30- £40 for them, so really gutted he has kept that. makes no sense to me at all. just penny pinching.

if who ever has got the service history, i will gladly pay for it, just to get it back

Why didn't Tony Harris come on to this forum we could have advised him what his car was worth & if he had put it up for sale on here it may have been sold to a genuine enthusiast.

I'm pleased that you now own the car Russ, it's just a shame that Tony sold his car to cheaply.

Why didn't Tony Harris come on to this forum we could have advised him what his car was worth & if he had put it up for sale on here it may have been sold to a genuine enthusiast.

I'm pleased that you now own the car Russ, it's just a shame that Tony sold his car to cheaply.

yes Tony has not got a computer, and from what he has told me, i do not think he has ever been on one, so he was there to be taken advantage of shame.

its the same guy who sold this manta

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/37059-87-18-gt-auto-hatch-for-sale/

just been trying to trace the service history last night,

the person i bought the car of bought the car from an auction house called copart, here is a link to my car in there auction listing

http://ww2.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/30176874/Photos.

i will give the auction house a phone in the morning to see if they have the history for the car in there office.

it turns out also that the torque converter was fine when it left the previous owner tony, and the car has never been taxed sense tonys ownership so should not have been used much.

so it had come lose ether whilst in the owner ship of the person who bought the car from tony harris first. or most likely the auction house, i suspect someone was doing burn outs in it, and drifting around in it, by doing the old auto trick of slamming it into gear with the revs up, and thats what made the converter come lose :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

got the mot in the morning so fingers crossed,

the headlight reflection was to shot for the mot, so i bought a set of quad lights.

i no i will get some hate for fitting quad lights on my 79 manta,

but i like the look, and they do there job better than the square lights,

i can always change it back at a latter date. if i wanted.

also fitted new steering gaiters and track rod ends

[url=http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/lukestradaabarth/media/Picture%202854_zpscxihq7vz.jpg.html]Picture%202854_zpscxihq7vz.jpg

Picture%202856_zpssdlmhalh.jpg

• Like 8

That Manta is looking nice, i would have said "quads on a chrome bumper Manta?? Errrrr !!!"" but for some reason i can't quite put my finger on they look less out of place than they do on some Post Facelift Manta's and of course you can now actually see where you are going at night, (unless it is cold and raining, because then you can't have the lights, heater fan, wipers and rear screen heat on at the same time !! the alternator can't cope !!)

You should have no problem with the rear springs, they are easy to change, it's the fronts that are a swine.

One thing i will say is be carefull for a few hundred miles untill the springs 'settle' it will probably look high at the back for a while and handle like it's been fitted with castoring wheels on the rear.

I put new springs on my Carlton, made a huge improvement to the ride but the handling was comedy car style for a couple of months, sideways on roundabouts even when i was not 'playing with it' One day in mid Wales to keep momentum i straighten out a slight kink in a dip and didn't lift, well didn't lift till i found myself at 60 mph, about 20o to the road between two stone walls !!