79 Sr Coupe Project

droop snoot hp firenza

I looked back over this thread yesterday and it really brought it home what you have achived and in such a short space of time, your first post was on the 19th February and now it's the 25th May and this Manta is on course for a MOT pass. You were so worried you had bought a dud, to quote you original post -

taken delivery of the manta today, a bit gutted really,

the door cards are thread bare the rear seat is really faded, so a bit gutted,

broken cracked torque converter, wish he would have said that in the listing,

it is my own fault for not viewing before i bought it, but the guy seemed quite honest, so i can only blame my self

This is how the Manta looked when you first bought it -

Picture2575_zps6d23c6c5.jpg

And here is how it looks now -

Picture%202854_zpscxihq7vz.jpg

If overall you have spent less than £3000 then you have made a profit on this Manta as well as having a superb Classic Car to enjoy

my wife is going mad.

Time for her to eat a large slice of humble pie !!! her husband is a real 'smart cookie' not only because you have transformed this Manta but in the future if 'the chips were down' you could sell this car and make a profit greater than if you'd left the money in a savings account, i wonder what she could do to thank you....... !!!!

• Like 1

thanks i will show this post to my wife,she will be well pleased, im not selling it, i would like a manual box in it, eventually, 

so i will gather all the parts together i need to change the box to a manual, maybe do it next year,

i want to have some fun in it first before i tackle a gearbox change.

the project only came on so fast with everyone's help, with out it the car would probably have sat in the back of the garage collecting dust.

thanks for the advice on the torque converter, James

the free wheels. James again

the spare auto box. and centre caps Paul

the sound advice and photos of the bumper repair done by Dave Bolton rapier Dave,

the front wings Jase

and thanks to everyone else who has helped me along the way.

also photos of the repaired door card, i cut some fabric away from behind the wooden trim to use it as a patch, but when i taken it all apart i found i did not need it, i just made a cut behind the wood, then stretched the fabric, this is how it looks now, the top of the door card fabric before was shot above the wood

Picture%202637_zpsdl517cix.jpg

Picture%202635_zpsgmk8yk2u.jpg

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza
  • Like 1

got the mot passed now, i wil tax it the end of the month,

the springs i have fitted are way to high, looks rubbish,

can anyone recommend some lowered springs to make my car the correct hight

you could go for spax russ with a 40mm drop ,that's what I have on mine.

I would imagine your 13" ats's would be able to cope with that quite well. :thumbup

jase

got the mot passed

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can make plans for the Billing weekend, Have you got a tent??

See if the springs settle first, when i did my Carlton it sat really high, the running joke was i had created the Carlton 4X4 !! but now it sits at the normal hight, though having to put up with the Manta being 'Rse in the air' for ages might not be an option.

Just put loads of beer in the boot when you bring it to Billing it will look the right height then :)  

that sounds like your best option to me russ :D, and just to add well done on the final hurdle on getting an mot for the old girl. :thumbup

the beer method sounds great, how many 24 packs can the manta boot hold. will there be enough beer for the full weekend, to keep it low, when it gets drunk, then i sober up the car will look like a 4+4 again by sunday,

i will take a look at the 40mm spax springs, they are really easy to fit.

The manta looks real bad high, im not into lowering cars but the manta looks great at gte height. 

yes i have got the tent sorted, i will book the billing trip in the morning.

• Like 2

the beer method sounds great, how many 24 packs can the manta boot hold. will there be enough beer for the full weekend, to keep it low, when it gets drunk, then i sober up the car will look like a 4+4 again by sunday,

i will take a look at the 40mm spax springs, they are really easy to fit.

The manta looks real bad high, im not into lowering cars but the manta looks great at gte height. 

yes i have got the tent sorted, i will book the billing trip in the morning.

as for the springs mate it was a very cost effective upgrade for me, and not just for show, it transformed the handling :) .I would not go any lower than 40mm though,30mm seems to be the optimum drop if you can find the springs. :ph34r:

Also just admiring the pic of your manta I noticed that it has not got a lip/spoiler now that would be a nice cosmetic upgrade for her,i used to have one lying about which you could of had,but I think I swaped it for a part I needed. :rolleyes:

the handling with the higher springs fitted at the moment is rubbish, so im sure with the 40mm lowered  springs it would be great, and look just right.

The lip spoiler is something i def want to fit, if anyone has one for sale please let me no,

it does not matter if its damaged i can fix it up