Retirement Project

oldwheels

I Thought I would put my project on the forum hopefully to encourage others to save more Manta's, I have owned it for a couple of months and have been working fairly constantly on it.

Unfortunately due to my position this will be a low budget and hopefully ongoing project, :unsure:

In view of my circumstances my car will not be able to compete with many of you guys on this forum who both own and are building some stunning cars,

Anywhere here goes,

Was looking for a while and as we all know Manta's are becoming harder to find, being unable to travel far the search began.... :(

This example appeared on ebay, :)  the seller was able to deliver :)  :)  so yes I purchased it blind, foolish maybe but what the heck I thought, I realised it was probably a load of work but then it is 27 years old.

As seen on ebay

_57_zpsadbad131.jpg

_57h_zpse8719390.jpg

_57e_zps60237578.jpg

ddddd1_zps980747c4.jpg

_57w_zps882b17e7.jpg

And it arrives, my wife is checking it out :thumbup :thumbup  

IMG_1751_zps365284fc.jpg

more to follow soon

• Like 3

Nice looks really straight, I'm doing a budget resto to, as I do not want a show car, just want a nice tidy usable car, as I intend to use all year round, I will try my best at treating the underneath primers and wax oil, so hopefully it will last,

ye you can't beat wax oil, the best!

Hi there and I am glad you have bought the Black Manta as it looked as though nobody wanted it and its really nice to know that you are saving it. I will follow this thread with interest. I have fulfilled my dream of owning a Manta last September the 28th and I have been using it daily ever since. Mine needs work underneath and it has come to the right home. You are definitely right when you say they are getting fewer and I think its great when people save them. Looking forward to seeing your Manta progress and enjoy it! :D

Jack

As someone once said, you can be the best welder in the world, but without a manta your nothing!

The hardest part of any project is getting the actual car, and the more complete, the better. Things are improving with chassis legs now available, repair panels, and this club is a big help. You can pick up second hand panels from club members etc. and learn a lot from what others have done. great place for advise, as most have been there, done that.

I can see the future being projects getting more challenging, which will increase the need for repair panels. scrappy mantas are going to fade out eventually, so what ever parts have been saved and stored my owners, that's it, (eg.  lights, bonnets, wings, doors, seats, interiors.)

things that cannot be reproduced.(easily) silly wee interior bits like door lock surrounds, grab handles, but that's where the club members help.

Maybe the biggest problem is lack of solid roofs. door skins and wings would be good to, also quarter panels! apart from that, they are a very good, reasonably cheap project.

Your is a excellent colour and a pretty neat interior, they clean up well too! sure it needs a bit of welding, but it is pretty straight, and original.

So what's the plans full restoration? keeping it original? good luck with your project, enjoy and take plenty of pics.

nice roof rack, first time ever seen one, like it!  how buy a surf board dude!

Edited by brady

The same goes for this Manta that i said to Droop Snoot, metal and paint can be sorted with a little skill and time, even if you do not do the whole job yourself.

but finding missing parts / trim and re-holstering would cost lots of extra money, it looks like you have a good driver seat for instance.

I am all for someone getting a Manta into a reasonable condition and using it, Heck i even went to Billing in my red 1800 hatch 'Britney' complete with replacement white doors !!! but it was on the road  ( unfortunately it suffered a gearbox failure and joined the back of a very long que of cars waiting to be repaired )

Just as long as this Manta feels the road under it's wheels again and you enjoy it that whats matters

Thanks for all the constructive comments 

It looks a lot better in the photos than it is in the flesh

Any way it is in my drive

DSCF4794_zps63bc631d.jpg

And now it is in its new home

DSCF4814_zps0baf0a45.jpg

Don't laugh but that is my excuse for a garage and that is where it is going to be worked on yes I am mad :o

As I said I have owned the car for a couple of months and been working on it so I am well ahead of these pics

Perhaps below are the reasons that no one was interested in it on ebay

Rear valence

DSCF9893_zpscfedaf8f.jpg

Nice mot repair from long ago

DSCF9872_zps59a80bf7.jpg

Apparently the car was dry stored for 8 years

DSCF9870_zpsa0dfa9e4.jpg

DSCF9878_zps1508a6fa.jpg

Rear of front wheel arch

DSCF9876_zps79e9e9a3.jpg

Now where has my jack gone :angry:

DSCF9878_zps1508a6fa.jpg

Interesting history, T 200 stickers x 3  Â£25.11 + vat  purchased from Victory Vauxhall in 1999 got receipt to prove it :o

Now to finish Cheap car tax on this manta, disc as left in windscreen by previous owner :D

DSCF4789_zpsb69ee06a.jpg

rear valance is still available as a repair panel, so is bottom corner of quarter panel.  contact retro power, they also do sills

I seen a lot worst, some projects on here would give anyone nightmares. your jacking point looks ok ish, Ive seen a lot worse on here.

what is your engine bay like, behind headlights and battery tray. Did you look at your swan necks yet.

Even if all of the above needs done, I still think its a decent project, worth saving. how is your sunroof? roof skin looking?

Edited by brady

I realise my repairs are not of Restoration quality but I know that I have removed as much corrosion as I can and while not attractive they are strong,

But you would have to go crawling under the car or lifting the carpets to see them, Soon you will be doing the most important thing, Out enjoying your Manta

BTW - is it a race between you and Droop Snoot to see who can do the fastest turn round of a poorly Manta?

Thanks for all the comments :) 

Well Manta-kev I will not complain about my small garage again, one thing I am to old to work outside

My bonnet I think has been used as a workbench or perhaps a dance floor :huh:  :huh:  I really would like a 400 Bonnet has anyone got a S/H one in their stores they no longer require, new one is out of my price range

_57s_zpscb94a71d.jpg

For got to take pics to busy working, we all know what a rusty repaired wheel arch looks like old one cut out new one welded in, quick skim filler

DSCF4771_zpsc9e10f73.jpg

Broken spring

DSCF4756_zps12448e18.jpg

Back on its wheels

DSCF4799_zps09818009.jpg

• Like 3

Well I have come to a conclusion, working on a Manta is like having a long piece of string full of knots of all types some easy to undo some hard but always more knots

Take the swan necks, the rust is a major problem, so first lets remove the Crossmember braces, oh dear someone welded the repair patch to the bolt head, but worry not the nuts have undone but to make life interesting the bolts have decided to permanently join to the steel sleeve inside the rubber bush after much grinding, banging, swearing and every thing else, arms removed. why is it I can use grease, then the next issue I have another broken spring

DSCF4872_zpserfn6km2.jpg

I suppose it made it easier to remove the spring

When removing the crossmember brace from the crossmember I noticed that the bolt in the lower wish bone did not turn, once again Nothing would shift that bolt only option to grind head off and also the rear then lever out of the crossmember and I ended up with this problem on BOTH sides :angry:  :angry:

DSCF4873_zpsqvtutrth.jpg

Spring broken at the top and the bottom

DSCF4874_zpswlg4bgow.jpg

Shame the spring on the other side was not broken, I do not like coil springs have heard plenty of horror stories so very carefully clamped and then a jack under the wishbone and all was well

DSCF4843_zps0dm4qfsj.jpg

New bushes, bolts and lots of coppaslip, lowered springs and an easy job for the next person to remove

DSCF4880_zpseodkkdyq.jpg

That is what I mean about string and knots

• Like 4

Well I have come to a conclusion, working on a Manta is like having a long piece of string full of knots of all types some easy to undo some hard but always more knots

Take the swan necks, the rust is a major problem, so first lets remove the Crossmember braces, oh dear someone welded the repair patch to the bolt head, but worry not the nuts have undone but to make life interesting the bolts have decided to permanently join to the steel sleeve inside the rubber bush after much grinding, banging, swearing and every thing else, arms removed. why is it I can use grease, then the next issue I have another broken spring

DSCF4872_zpserfn6km2.jpg

I suppose it made it easier to remove the spring

When removing the crossmember brace from the crossmember I noticed that the bolt in the lower wish bone did not turn, once again Nothing would shift that bolt only option to grind head off and also the rear then lever out of the crossmember and I ended up with this problem on BOTH sides :angry:  :angry:

DSCF4873_zpsqvtutrth.jpg

Spring broken at the top and the bottom

DSCF4874_zpswlg4bgow.jpg

Shame the spring on the other side was not broken, I do not like coil springs have heard plenty of horror stories so very carefully clamped and then a jack under the wishbone and all was well

DSCF4843_zps0dm4qfsj.jpg

New bushes, bolts and lots of coppaslip, lowered springs and an easy job for the next person to remove

DSCF4880_zpseodkkdyq.jpg

That is what I mean about string and knots

Typical Manta :rolleyes: I had the same problem with swan neck bolts on mine. I set fire to them with the blowtorch to hopefully burn the rubber out and free the bolts from the sleeve but only achieved the former, grinding the bolt head off was the only option in the end. :angry: Great work there I'm enjoying reading your updates :thumbup

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...