2.2 Sump And Flywheel

Sutty2006

well ive DEF got a 22 engine sat with a sump thats not seen a manta lol , will take a pic tomorrow after work tomorrow mate , amazing the crap you collect in 25 yrs pissing about with manta's

I was told today of a 2.2 (Reckord?) engine today, and thought of using it in a Manta that is currently engineless.

However, I'm not sure if it's much of an upgrade over the 2.0GTE? Is it a big job to change over, can I use the 2.0GTE ecu etc or would it need to come with loom/ecu to be worth anything?  If it comes with the parts you need I may be able to help if you don't get sorted elsewhere.

Thanks Sutty, dont want to derail your thread (but as I say if I purchase this item the parts I don't need will be available) but how much would the engine be worth assuming its complete with ECU, and is it much of an improvement over the 2.0?

Loom is same as a GTE but you'll need the ECU.

I need the big relays that are on the engine loom aswell. These are missing from my car! Grrr.

Also need a fuel pump but can fit a facet if need be!

Do you have the relay part numbers. I have had a few carltons and when they died i always kept the replays. Problem is they are just in a pile with every other relay i've ever removed from every car i've broken.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I haven't got a Carlton but I have a 2.2 engine and the engine loom from one.

There's only one relay on the loom plus the 2 control boxes for the ignition and the ECU that I can see. I've taken some photos. If I can help anymore let me know.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Roger

Hi there. The 2.2 ecu is bosch part number 0280000326.cant see how this would work correctly with a standard 2 litre loom thou because the 2.2 has additional items over a 2 litre. Namely an idle speed control valve which maintains an ideal idle speed controlled by its own control box.0280220017 for a manual and 0280220018 for an auto.it also doesnt have the 2 litres 5th injector/cold start on the end of the inlet manifold.also the ignition system uses a different module and a different distributor. The advance is not centrifugal but controlled by yet another box 02277921015 manual or 0227921006 auto.maybee and i dont know because i have the correct full set up on mine a 2.2 will work perfectly ok with a 2 litre system. Someone will no doubt have tried this and will hopefully be able to advise??

Shug, yes I need a fuel relay...haven't got one. Let me know how much posted please and I'll pay pal some dosh over.

I'll have a look at the loom tomorrow that's in my car and see what plugs haven't got homes

Well ive still got to source the correct 5 speed manual gearbox, a new fuel tank and other little bits n bobs....... So not in a rush dude haha. When do you recon you are next there? And is it 160 miles south? Are you at the AGM?

• 2 weeks later...

Fermanta

You can just stick all the 2.0 top end on the 2.2 including the std injection. It will give an improvement in torque due to the bigger capacity, its only the same as boring out a motor (think 1.9 to 2.0CIH) its the crank thats stroked to give 2.2.

If you want to use the 2.2 head (better flow, bigger valves, etc you can redrill a 2.0 intake to fit on the 2.2 head. You will need to muck about with bigger washers to hold the intake/exhaust manifolds on and also the thermostat housing.

Or just take the 45mm inlets and have them installed into the 2.0 head for better breathing. Its only having the valve seats recut and ground in.

The 2.2 motor are really underated.

Sutty

I dont think that the gearboxes are different, apart from possibly the gear link. The haynes manual ratios are the same. Ive got a carlton 2.2 box and its no different to the 2.0 ones. I know its a pukka 2.2 one as i broke the car it came from.

HTH

Chris

Well ive still got to source the correct 5 speed manual gearbox, a new fuel tank and other little bits n bobs....... So not in a rush dude haha. When do you recon you are next there? And is it 160 miles south? Are you at the AGM?

Oops, never noticed your reply.

Might be this weekend or next. Its oop north. I'll have a look when I'm up next.

Sutty

I dont think that the gearboxes are different, apart from possibly the gear link. The haynes manual ratios are the same. Ive got a carlton 2.2 box and its no different to the 2.0 ones. I know its a pukka 2.2 one as i broke the car it came from.

HTH

Chris

The box is identical apart from the linkage at the back. Its slightly longer on the carlton to accomodate for being a longer car. I have a 5 speed box somewhere in my workshop, so if push comes to shove, i can either find a linkage, or get mine lenghtened., Id rather fit the correct item though. Im going to put up a wanted ad for the gearbox. Someone might have one stashed away or even just the linkage