Secret Project Finished

Kevin Abbott

Head job.

On the way back from Haigh hall it started running on 3, then 2.

Holiday got in the way and August turned into September, then a black exclusive arrived and the poor old Manta sat on the drive unloved.

Time to find out what's going on

Head stripping

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

There's the problem

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Valves out, posh sykes valve compressor didn't work so it was back to one I found in my Mum and Dads loft when I was 12

Valves out and new seals installed using a tool I bought many years ago at billing

A bit of porting and port matching using the die grinder and my home made speed controller using a 500w dimmer switch

Valves all cleaned and lapped in using a posh tool bought from frost.

It's rubbish so back to old school method

All done

Block cleaned and all stuff using a roloc bristle disc, awesome tool!

• Like 1

A bit of porting and port matching using the die grinder and my home made speed controller using a 500w dimmer switch

Got the head off the Carlton at the moment ( same engine type as the 1800 Manta but 2.0L ) and i have been busy with the ports, it was not the area going into the head that was the problem but the valve seat inserts, the base of them 'jutted out' into the port causing a step/sharp corner sticking out into the passage way, Needed the electric drill on full speed to make any impression on these hardend inserts, but now the ports have a nice smooth flow to them.

Not hoping for a huge power hike, infact i'm not concerned about more power but any modification of this nature that can increase power by efficiency will also reduce fuel comsumpsion, i probably won't notice the difference but i could not put the head back on knowing there was an obvious way to improve it.

It's rubbish so back to old school method

I have got one of those valve grinders, i did have to put a rubber suction cup off a basic stick grinder onto it but it works great for me, gets the valves done in no time

One interesting note, i was told a long time ago that there was no need to bother with fine grinding paste, the course paste alone did the job, and the person giving this addice... Vauxhall God Bill Blydenstien !! i am NOT going to contradict addvice given about engines by him !! i was fortunate to visit his workshop and talk with him, a fascinating and brilliant man.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Just a bump to this project as a homage to my best mate Daniel Ormerod who helped me on it and helped me in the build as  he always said I’ll never have another Manta.  
Car now owned by a mate Kyle Patterson.  
RIP Dan.  Miss you mate.  
It’s shit he’s gone. 

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It’s back.   After 6 years of Kyle owning it, at weekend he gave me first refusal on it.  So I bought it back.  A quick trip up to Barrow in Furness and a quicker trip back it’s now back with the gang.   

Dan would of loved that.  

• Like 3