Headlights On All The Time ! Manta Coupe Gte

MSGManta

Very strange, all of a sudden my headlights stays on all the time draining away my battery in just a few hours, I have a Haynes manual, and traced wiring through it

and checked the headlight switch is OK, I can disconnect the light switch from its connector but the lights stays on, Fuse F11 and F12 shows live positive feed, it should not be there unless the headlight switch is turned on, so tracing the wire through Haynes Manual, it shows the only other possibility for the live feed can come from so called dry running K59 Module, but I have no idea where this is located, so could anyone please shed some light, it would be most appreciated.

My side lights do not come on during when headlights are on but only comes on when the light switch is operated. High beam or dipper works fine, so please help if you could without me stripping the dashboard to find out where this dry running K59 Module is hiding! Thanks

Thank you Snowy, I will try and find it out tomorrow, however, looking further into haynes manual, there is yet another module ref. K62 referred to as Dim-Dip light module, and if I am not mistaken the one I mentioned previously (K59) is for day running lights, which according to the circuit diagram, would enable the side lights to come on with ignition being switched on,  as required in Norway and sweden, and since it is not a requirement in UK, so this module may well be missing any way, so this leaves us another module ref. K62 which is called a dim dip light, and has a symbol of a transistor, which must cause headlights to turn on dim on a dipped main beam when for example your engine is running and side lights are ON, this would also run your headlights at half the power or intensity, this i have noticed previously, and when you turn your light switch to bring on main dipped beam headlights on, they then come on full intensity. This is where the fault is now likely to be,

I now suspect  this module could be the problem where it is now feeding full power out to the heradlights all the time, regardless of the light switch being turned on or not. so again this module may also be housed behind the dashboard near passenger side, I will check this tomorrow, I guess I will have to undo bottom trim from the dashboard to see it from under, unless I can unplug my stereo and possibly access it through that slot.

Edited by MSGManta

Sorry mate, I have had no luck so far, I am trying to work out how to take apart the lower part of the dashboard, there are 3 screws from the glove box, and a couple around the left and right side, and may be a few underneath, awkward to get under, but I pulled out my stereo and clock, and cannot see anything around the passenger side as the glove box is there, unless these modules are above the glove box.

Secondly, I am a bit puzzled as the Haynes Manual indicates that a plain Yellow wire 1.5 should leave the Light switch to go to both fuse 11 and 12, and to the two modules - Dim Light and Day light Modules. However on my light switch there is no  plain Yellow wire, but a yellow with a white tracer (Yellow/white)  coming out from it, however  at the Fuse 11 and 12  they have two plain Yellow wires and a loop or a link between the two fuses!  So this means that  the yellow/white from the light switch  must be routed to something first and then from there they must have used plain yellow to fuses.

Snowy if you could give me some more depth knowledge as to what I will need to do to get to this dim light module I will appreciate, remember i owned this car for 26 years and never had to take its dashboard apart, the only thing I took apart recently was its instrument cluster to replace speedo light bulbs which had holders that I took out from the front and my wife binned them thinking they were junk! so had to hard wire white LEDs instead, and this required removing the top cover that was not difficult.

Dim dip. Unplug it, bin it.

Does that also mean that lights will not run dim when engine is running on side lights alone? often if a side light bulb is blown up, this dim headlights cover for a blown bulb. So I might be able to fix the module as I do electronics, but locating it is where I am stuck, is it above the glove box or behind it? 

No dash removal necessary the easy way to describe it is find the bonnet release handle and is is in that area further back and no dash removal required

Sorry mate your post must have crossed mine, I will go and check now with my torch

Thank you so much guys, especially mantadoc for being more precise, luckily my carpets were out as I had to carry out some floor welding, so found the module just above the bonnet release and pulled the connector out and all is well and good! though dim light facility is gone but I can live with that as well as I can now look into the module to see if could be repaired then I may reconnect it after.

But grateful to you guys! well pleased.

all is well and good! though dim light facility is gone but I can live with that as well as I can now look into the module to see if could be repaired then I may reconnect it after.

From 1976 - 1986 (ish) Mantas didn't have one of these modules, so most Mantas ever made didn't have the facility. The module is very simple inside but to be honest you will be hard pressed to find someone that has bothered to repair or replace it on here.

Thank you so much guys, especially mantadoc for being more precise, luckily my carpets were out as I had to carry out some floor welding, so found the module just above the bonnet release and pulled the connector out and all is well and good! though dim light facility is gone but I can live with that as well as I can now look into the module to see if could be repaired then I may reconnect it after.

But grateful to you guys! well pleased.

hi are you Mike from Migweb , recall your car on there ages ago 

very well mate! still got that Manta and I haven't had time to do much to it, still in the same state it was a year ago.

I am getting bad rust on the sun roof surrounding area, any suggestions as to what i can do, cut out rusty areas and patch it up with new sheet metal and filler or get rid of it with a new  roof skin and blend it in.

Edited by MSGManta
  • Like 1