Clutch Adjustment

Ems

I've finally fitted a pedal box and clutch cable to the Manta, but even with the new cable fully tightened I still can't select any gears.  The clutch pedal is slightly lower than the brake pedal.

The clutch is new and the pivot bolt was adjusted to the dimensions in the manual, before fitting the gearbox and engine to the car. 

It's a 1.8 box and C20Xe engine.

Do I need to adjust the pivot bolt again?

Thanks

bear in mind the new flywheel and clutch may be a different thickness so you probably would need to continue to screw in the pivot untill you can have the clutch cable adjuster with some thread either side .

when i done this i was worried about the pivot needing to go too far somehow, so i think i ended up putting a large washer on the other side of the eye you push the cable through to get some more cable adjustment and clutch height that way , rather than going too far from the book with the pivot position .

• Like 1

The big round metal lump that goes in the bulkhead has a rubber sleeve and a washer on BOTH sides, very often the rubber sleeves or washers have gone missing over the years and that will change the dimensions on the cable.

If you want a pic of this assembly as it ought to be let me know, I happen to have one on the bench at work at the moment.

• Like 1

Paulmanta has said the possible cause. When i fitted my xe years ago i remember my pivot bolt was nowhere near the recommendations specified. I cut a 8mm spanner down and cut and welded a spanner to tighten the locking nut afterwards. Bad job to do on the floor but do able.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I've only got a big metal block with a rubber  washer on the engine side of the bulkhead, haven't come across anything else.  A picture would be a great help - forgot to mention it's a modified 1985 GTE.

Thanks

I will pop a pic on the forum tomorrow of what ought to be there.  I only know about all the rubber/washers because I have had the same trouble with a hatch I am doing at the moment, its amazing how much of a difference a few mm makes to the pedal position.

I suppose its down to the arc the foot end travels because of the distance from the pivot.

Sorry for the delay, have a pic of what is supposed to be there !

Rubbers are obtainable via the excellent Greek Opel guy.

669 401  / 034 32 775   clutch cable rubber grommet for the outer of the damper block

669 400  / 028 90 668   clutch cable rubber grommet for the inner of the damper block

2015-06-27%2014.29.24_zpsg1vpasub.jpg

There is a washer, rubber, big weight thing, rubber, washer then the clutch cable.

Edited by paulmanta