Original Bits Wanted

Jack

Hi club, I am wondering if it is at all possible to get hold of a couple of original parts anymore. First off I want an original exhaust system as I have a sportex fitted at the minute and I want an original horn as mine has had air horns fitted. I am not sure if my original horn is still there but just disconnected. Is it possible to get an original system anymore, even a used one?

Any used original exhaust systems are likely to be rusted crap, a new one would need to be bought in three parts.

A front section, the section over the axle and a rear box. until recently OCP (opel-classic parts) in Germany had some of the parts but you would need to check availability, not cheap and as soon as you use it it will start rusting. full stainless is the way to go if you want to fit and forget, the OE stuff was ok but rusted out within a few years.  My 86 had a new middle and rear when it was only 5 years old !

Horn, open bonnet, look at the area in front of the radiator and under the nosecone near the front cross member, the original horns would be a round one and a sort of snail shell one mounted on a long thin bracket that bolts to the body.

Thanks Dave, 

Have you got the two inner screws that hold the aluminium strip in place at the front? Mine are missing and it sits too loose because of it. Would you be able to help me change my headlight at Billing?

So if I bought an original system it wouldn't last very long at all? I have had a look for my horn and it is there I think, it is bolted behind the front 4 slot grille.

If you put an old stock exhaust on it might last a few years or more, its not something that would last a long time because they didn't last a long time back when they were new, then "X" years from now you will be looking for another exhaust system or parts and they are not getting any easier to find !

Also, once you pull the old original one off you have lost the originality that you are trying to preserve anyway.

I pretty much always fit a stainless system. a copy of what Opel put on that I don't have to faff about with again.

I pretty much always fit a stainless system. a copy of what Opel put on that I don't have to faff about with again.

Thats really interests me, can I get an exact copy of the original system but made out of stainless instead? If so I definitely want that. 

Thanks Dave, 

Have you got the two inner screws that hold the aluminium strip in place at the front? Mine are missing and it sits too loose because of it. Would you be able to help me change my headlight at Billing?

Should be no problem :thumbup :thumbup

Thats really interests me, can I get an exact copy of the original system but made out of stainless instead? If so I definitely want that. 

Retropower.

Seriously, if any company could do a front to rear copy in stainless these are the guys to contact. 

• Like 1

Thank you  :thumbup  I will be getting in touch with them for sure! I am thinking it is going to be expensive so I will have to wait a while I think. By the time my Manta needs a new exhaust I will have the money anyway. 

• Like 1