Pop Quiz!

Howie86

Hi all! Couple of things I've been meaning to find out see if you guys can help...

Q1. How do you tell 2.0 and 1.6 CIH heads apart?

Q2. On the left hand side of the binnicle above the fog light switch is a blank, what goes there other than a blank? Some rare option? Heated seats, swedish models only??

Q3. I have a number of vauxhall CIH engines and 1 from a '78 Rekord van, the sump is the wrong way round and the dipstick is on the other side of the engine mount, why is this? And is it just a case of switching them round to suit cav & manta?

Many thanks everyone!

Rich.

Edited by Howie86

1. Pretty certain the 1.6 heads have less bearings for the cam shaft. But i cannot remember how many there should be?
  2. I'm sure that would be for the front fog light.
  3. The sumps are different to clear the cross member for the specific car. Yes just change the sump, pick up pipe and dip stick tube.

Thanks

! - i would be surprized if there a different number of bearings, can't see how they would be spaced, the crank of 1.6 has more counter/balance weights.

i have been told that The castings have different patterns of ribbing around the front camshaft cover

2 - yes front fog lamp, had a Manta with this on, be nice if it was a button to conjour up a hot young blonde Swedish girl !!

3 - sump were different because of the cross member, the Manta sump and pich-up pipe will fit, but it will also involve dilling out ( What appears to be ) the soft metal plug in the rear dipstick hole and blanking the front dipstick hole.

! - i would be surprized if there a different number of bearings, can't see how they would be spaced, the crank of 1.6 has more counter/balance weights.

i have been told that The castings have different patterns of ribbing around the front camshaft cover

2 - yes front fog lamp, had a Manta with this on, be nice if it was a button to conjour up a hot young blonde Swedish girl !!

3 - sump were different because of the cross member, the Manta sump and pich-up pipe will fit, but it will also involve dilling out ( What appears to be ) the soft metal plug in the rear dipstick hole and blanking the front dipstick hole.

Both 1600 and 1900/2000 have 4 camshaft journals but in 1600 only three have bearings in.