Gte starting problem ?

evo3000

Engine turns over fine,but there is absolutely no hint of her fireing up,(yes there is fuel in the tank)

checked all leads cleaned and checked spark plugs all ok there,then after disconnecting the fuel line to the injectors cranked the engine over and there was no fuel coming through.

So automatically think fuel pump,only the pump is relatively new so this should be ok still, I've had no time to investigate further so that's where you come in.

whatcha reckon:)

Edited by evo3000

Have you had the inlet manifold off ,If so have you got the fuel pipes the right way around (pipe going to thre pressure reg ,return pipe).You can try some easy start / brake spray in to  the air filter see if It starts 

cheers for all replies guys,:thumbup

manifold not been off for long time so no concerns there,and all fuel pipes will be ok,i tend to think its fuel pump related so the pump relay could be a culprit.

I;m not able to do anything for  a week as going away,but feel free to leave more suggestions if you have any thanks.:thumbup

You should be able to hear the fuel pump if you get under the car and get someone to turn the ignition on. I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the fuse?

Failing that - direct 12v feed to the pump to check it spins up ok and take it from there. 

Edited by Irmscher Man

You should be able to hear the fuel pump if you get under the car and get someone to turn the ignition on. I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the fuse?

Failing that - direct 12v feed to the pump to check it spins up ok and take it from there. 

You got there nut here is the long version http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/12777-injection-relay-limp-home/

fusebox.jpg

Make sure you have a good earth to the pump.

Thanks again for the advise guys,that will give me  a few things to check when I get the chance.

One thing I have noticed is the pump never made that initial whirring sound,i think its when it primes itself before you start the engine,it was never doing this before when it was running,

I seem to remember previous pumps/gte doing this.:unsure:

The pump is a just a motor, if the car ever ran with it, then it "primed".

Primed is not actually correct though. When the ignition is turned on the ignition amplifier pulses when charging up, this pulse energises the injection relay and briefly powers the pump. It's a side effect of how the components function, not actually a priming function, there is nothing to cut it off when up to pressure for example. Anyway, if yours didn't ever "prime" it's not necessarily anything to worry about. There is just working and not with these things.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Forgot to finalize this topic,:rolleyes:

in the end it was just a loose/dislodged fuse.

It started up straight away,i love the old cih lump bless it.:lol:

Thanks again for all the replies.:thumbup

Edited by evo3000
  • Like 2