rip off

Julian

Due to a situation in the family, which means I will have to do a few more miles in my Cavalier, I phoned Adrian Flux to raise my limited mileage from 3,000 per year to 5,000, what a shock it was to hear that it would cost me £70, I've been driving since 1951, never ever having to make, or having a claim made against me, driven heavy good, coaches and buses, so why 70 quid for a couple of extra miles over twelve months? insurance companies always have been and always will be ripoff merchants. So time to shop around I think. 

Hi Julian, not defending Adrian Flux as such, but in the case generally of classic car insurance policies. I think the reason is that classic car policies are inherently cheap compared to general private car policies as the vehicles tend to be used only occassionally, and driven carefully, and subsequently a very low risk. Therefore most, not all, agree limited mileage annually that usually is more than adequate for most, so your nice cheap premium reflects this.

As you are almost doubling your annual mileage limit, to them you're significantly increasing the risks associated with classic car motoring. Adrian Flux are a broker, not an insurer, so it may well be that by requesting such an increase in your annual limit, they have to push your policy into another bracket that they have available to them from the end insurer, and therefore a fixed additional premium applies. 

Sadly it's probably irrevelent of your age or experience in this case, it's purely down to statistics and the more you're out on the road, the more likely you are to have an accident. Fault or non-fault.

£70 seems a lot if you're only paying circa £100 annual premium in the first place, but if you compared it to an non-classic policy on a more modern car, it's probably still really cheap?

• Like 1

I had a renewal from Flux for my Veccy B GSi, which was £200 more than another company. When I confronted them and told them I was moving to another company they managed to knock off the £200 within mins.

It is annoying that your insurance is supposed to be tailor made for you, but you end up paying over the odds on premiums that are caused by other drivers.

I may be wrong, but I think the £70 is for administrative costs? So could that mean the labour charges for deleting 3,000 from a document and typing in 5,000? if so, why not just delete the3 and type in a 5, that would save them exerting themselves!!! I expect someone will come back on this and explain. As long as I don't get the bill for all the typing they have to do!!

In that case Julian, that sounds to me like purely an admin cost levied by Flux as the broker, not something charged by the insurer.

A lot of these big brokers like Flux, Hastings, Churchill etc levy large admin costs on every adjustment, supposedly to cover their cost in making the change, which is a 2 min job on a system!

• Like 1

I pay my insurance monthly Snowy, so by the time the next payment  is due, I'll have found another company, so I will just stop the payments to Flux, The other company being one I left to go to Flux as I though that it being advertised on our club, would be sound, but we live and learn. Anyway Snowy, How are things in your part of our Country? 

Hi,

I'm sorry if you weren't happy with our service on this matter. If you'd like to PM me your details I'd be happy to look into this to see if there is anything else I can do.

Regards,

Dan.

Horse bolted, lets shut the stable door.

Too late too often from insurance company.

Nothing like preventive insurance, than reactive insurance.

Come on Flux get your house in order, don't rest on your quotes be pro active.

I'd just like to say that RH Classic Insurance have never charged me an admin fee, and have consistently come up with decent renewal quotes. Maybe that's why I've been with them for over 10 years now. As a classic customer they always give Jayne and I really good rates on our daily drives as well. I think only once has a renewal been a bit high on a daily, and I suspect that was an admin error on their part. A quick phone call soon sorted it.

• Like 1

Hi Julian, not defending Adrian Flux as such, but in the case generally of classic car insurance policies. I think the reason is that classic car policies are inherently cheap compared to general private car policies as the vehicles tend to be used only occassionally, and driven carefully, and subsequently a very low risk. Therefore most, not all, agree limited mileage annually that usually is more than adequate for most, so your nice cheap premium reflects this.

As you are almost doubling your annual mileage limit, to them you're significantly increasing the risks associated with classic car motoring. Adrian Flux are a broker, not an insurer, so it may well be that by requesting such an increase in your annual limit, they have to push your policy into another bracket that they have available to them from the end insurer, and therefore a fixed additional premium applies. 

Sadly it's probably irrevelent of your age or experience in this case, it's purely down to statistics and the more you're out on the road, the more likely you are to have an accident. Fault or non-fault.

£70 seems a lot if you're only paying circa £100 annual premium in the first place, but if you compared it to an non-classic policy on a more modern car, it's probably still really cheap?

You are correct all the way Dave, I got it wrong by thinking it was Flux who was ripping me off, so I apologize for that,  Dan explained it to me, practically word for word as Dan has done, so it is AVIVA Insurance who collect the 70 quid, I did shop around but couldn't get a better deal anywhere, I got quotes  of over £400.00 with a couple of them.  I wonder what Jack is thinking when he reads that!!  Never mind Jack your day will come. when I was quoted 57 quid for my Landrover in 1970 I felt the same way as you do now  

I'd just like to say that RH Classic Insurance have never charged me an admin fee, and have consistently come up with decent renewal quotes. Maybe that's why I've been with them for over 10 years now. As a classic customer they always give Jayne and I really good rates on our daily drives as well. I think only once has a renewal been a bit high on a daily, and I suspect that was an admin error on their part. A quick phone call soon sorted it.

I'm with RH too. Looked after me well, only pay circa £100 and they've given me extra use cover when I've asked for no additiional premium. I used to work in the same building as them. they're good guys.

• Like 1