Hello From Aberdeen

Hello there, I've been on the forum a while as a lurker so it's about time I spoke up. 

I'm a big Manta/Ascona/Cavalier fan and have almost owned a few over the years. First car was a Chevette GLS hatch and I dreamt of aspiring to an Ascona B, Cavalier GLS or indeed a Manta. I did briefly have a 1981 Ascona 1600 GTG614W that I bought damaged. I did get it back together and then the oil pump then gave up the ghost. Rather than repair it, the car was scrapped, stupid really as it had only been 8 years old at the time. Also during my Chevette ownership, I nearly bought a few Cavaliers including a lovely GLS Saloon and a GLS hatch but I just couldn't quite get the cash together before the cars were sold to someone else.

When I did have some cash saved up, I went on the search for a Manta/Ascona/Cavalier and almost bought a black 1.8S Manta Berlinetta coupe that a neighbour had traded in to the local Vauxhall/Opel dealer - BRS456Y. I agreed to take it but I was gazumped again as by the time I got back from the bank with my loan-approval paperwork in my hand the car was gone! I never did see it again. I ended up buying a Capri instead.......

A year or two later i did look at a couple of other Mantas in an attempt to redeem my Capri ownership,  a gold B Reg GTE Hatch B44DRS which was a shed really and a red GTE Hatch A777DRS that was quite rusty really even though it was only 6 years old at the time. Time for another Capri then, a 2.8 that I went on to own for 15 years.

I have been looking off-and-on for an Ascona or Cavalier GLS and Mantas over the years, either I've been too slow making the deal or I've been outbid on eBay. Ideally I would love to have a Cavalier GLS saloon, one like the car I was offered for £450 in 1992 SSA951X I think the reg was) that I remember being new at the same Vauxhall Opel Dealer mentioned above. It was green like "smiffy"' on here's Manta and I turned it down as the ATS wheels were not on it. See, I am a numpty! There were loads of Mantas Asconas Cavaliers up here in the 80s/90s including an Ascona 200/400? on a W Reg, not sure if it was genuine or not. I wonder where they all went.

My apologies for the ramblings. I'll put a wanted post up in the section below to see if I can get a nice Ascona SR or Cavalier GLS saloon - well, I can dream eh!

Cheers Stevie

Edited by steviemillar
Spelling mistakes!!
  • Like 1

Great colour preferences Stevie!! Welcome along and good luck with the search. I assume you mean Mk2 Cavalier SR then not the Mk1? I nearly bought an x-reg Mk2 SR Cav a couple years ago. Was only about £1250 and looked good in red.

Cursing I didn't buy that one now too!!

• Like 1

Hi there and welcome,

Very interesting bit of history there and I am only 23 years old but I wonder and also dream about living in the 80's and seeing Mantas for sale all over the place and then looking back 20 years later and seeing what bargains they all were. Hope you get sorted with a car soon and best of luck!

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello  Stevie, I am up in your neck of the woods Aberdeenshire, Newmachar area. Where are you located, I see Mike as well up this way. I posted in the Newbie section back in april and some of the guys kindly put pics of my cars there. Somebody at my work mentioned there is a manta in Kintore.............? There are a couple of other guys in north east Scotland a bit like myself , not quite regular visitors or full members ! Shame on me!! I did / might know of a 4 door ascona , definitely a project car though. I am stripping a manta coupe at the moment for parts, The shell is a massive project in itself from what I can see so far, it requires a braver man than me. Anything is doo able though if one has the time. 

I do know of a 2 door cav mk 1 saloon, its been outside many many years , similar to the manta described above. The guy that had it wasn't keen to sell, its still outside as far as I know which is a shame. Mark 2 cav saloon , I did know of a pretty solid one requiring light resto work, I could ask the question if its still around. All the stuff I am speaking about are mostly restorations of a kind , if that's your thing?

Anyway , nice to see there is still a growing interest up this way! Give me a shout if I can help.

Rgds

Gerry

• Like 1

1979 MK1 cavalier in Perth and Kinross area on gumtree at the moment £3400. Search under motors / Opel 

Thank you for the pointer Mike. Looks like a few quid has been spent on that car but it's not really what I'm after. Something more original body/interior wise is what I'm looking for, I'm very open to upgrades on running gear though.

Hello  Stevie, I am up in your neck of the woods Aberdeenshire, Newmachar area. Where are you located, I see Mike as well up this way. I posted in the Newbie section back in april and some of the guys kindly put pics of my cars there. Somebody at my work mentioned there is a manta in Kintore.............? There are a couple of other guys in north east Scotland a bit like myself , not quite regular visitors or full members ! Shame on me!! I did / might know of a 4 door ascona , definitely a project car though. I am stripping a manta coupe at the moment for parts, The shell is a massive project in itself from what I can see so far, it requires a braver man than me. Anything is doo able though if one has the time. 

I do know of a 2 door cav mk 1 saloon, its been outside many many years , similar to the manta described above. The guy that had it wasn't keen to sell, its still outside as far as I know which is a shame. Mark 2 cav saloon , I did know of a pretty solid one requiring light resto work, I could ask the question if its still around. All the stuff I am speaking about are mostly restorations of a kind , if that's your thing?

Anyway , nice to see there is still a growing interest up this way! Give me a shout if I can help.

Rgds

Gerry

Hi Gerry, thank you for posting on this thread, it's great to see there is a following up in this area still. I think I remember reading about the car in you avatar in the P&J a while back, would that be right?

I live in Aberdeen itself just up the hill from the infamous Haudugan roundabout. I haven't really seen that many cars around at all in recent years, however I did see a lovely grey Exclusive Hatch, an early Cavalier Coupe and a saloon owned by the same guy and a cracking 400 Replica owned by a guy I know from Fife at Grantown MotorMania yesterday.

Thanks too for the info on the cars you know of. I'm pretty bad at cosmetic bodywork to be honest so major restoration projects are beyond my capability, although that Ascona does sound intriguing.......

Cheers Stevie

Aye Stevie , that was my car last year sometime.  Haven't done much work to the cars this year, I am getting over a severe back injury this past year so hoping to be fit enough to get into one next year!  Old age getting the better of me this past while. Pretty scarce now up this way, there are a few waiting restoration when the owners get the chance hopefully.  I will let you know if I hear of a tidy car if I hear anything. I am guessing the 400r you saw might be a Dave Mackay , a chap I only know off not met yet.  From the pics I have seen , it's a good looking machine now. 

Rgds

Gerry

I kept a full colour spread from the P&J your car section  from 2003/2004 ish if I can remember correctly for years on a charcoal metallic grey manta coupe with bright red GTE decals from the Aberdeen area it looked showroom! Probably still have the article in a drawer tucked away ( got to or the wife would chuck it out :o ! ) would that have been yours GerryC400?

Hi Mike, That sounds like my original dolphin grey car. It was featured in the P & J 2003 after they seen it at Alford sprint that year, as a spectator of course!! Still have it, it is still in very good condition ,  31500 miles from new. There are pics in the gallery on here of it and in a post in this section. Is that your 400r on your user title?  Looks a nice motor. Are you close to Aberdeen also?

Rgds

Gerry 

I would be the happiest man on earth if that was my manta but it's only a picture :(. I am an aspiring future manta coupe owner but I will need to spend "wisely" as the sunroof area and excessive rust combined with lack of spares worries me a little. But I know the right one will turn up. I am always on the look out, a small project would be fine but my mechanical skills are restricted so may be better to look for a finished article. I'm a plumber to trade residing near Peterhead. I have looked at so many over the years travelling as far as Clifford Beattie car sales Ireland in 2010 to see a white exclusive GTE coupe. He would not budge on price! If only.... Recently to England to see a red exclusive coupe advertised as a Steve Thompson i200 but NOT it was absolutely rotten seriously beyond me although the pictures looked good on walking up to the car my heart immediately sank I Still spent time looking it over but I had to walk away.

I would be the happiest man on earth if that was my manta but it's only a picture :(. I am an aspiring future manta coupe owner but I will need to spend "wisely" as the sunroof area and excessive rust combined with lack of spares worries me a little. But I know the right one will turn up. I am always on the look out, a small project would be fine but my mechanical skills are restricted so may be better to look for a finished article. I'm a plumber to trade residing near Peterhead. I have looked at so many over the years travelling as far as Clifford Beattie car sales Ireland in 2010 to see a white exclusive GTE coupe. He would not budge on price! If only.... Recently to England to see a red exclusive coupe advertised as a Steve Thompson i200 but NOT it was absolutely rotten seriously beyond me although the pictures looked good on walking up to the car my heart immediately sank I Still spent time looking it over but I had to walk away.

I was brought up in Peterhead Mike, there were quite a few Mantas, Asconas, Cavaliers kicking about, most likely due to the Grange Garage Vauxhall dealer in the town. I lived not too far away from the garage either. If like me you can remember all of the Mantas in particular that used to be around, it seems incredible that all of these cars could be gone doesn't it, maybe a few are stashed away for nice days/future restoration.

I do remember two brothers in Peterhead, one brother bought a GTE coupe either new or nearly new on a B Reg in the brown metallic that you also saw on Monzas and the other brother had a green Cavalier Coupe that he put a European bodykit onto in the late 80s/early 90s, can't remember the kits name. I can't remember seeing or hearing about either car coming up for sale so these guys just might still have them. 

Like you ive been to look at a couple of cars so far but they needed work - the newest car is nearly 30 years old I suppose. 

Good luck with your search!

Edited by steviemillar

You being a blue moganer then will remember the "gravies" in Peterhead and "flagpole" in Fraserburgh all the mantas, capris, RS 2000 went round sideways every evening and weekend.:thumbup 

I was never part of it or even had a car fast enough but do you remember the 9 minute club?

I have heard about the 9 minute club.........too many speed cameras nowadays !  

It is tricky tricky finding a non restored car nowadays. Restoration costs will be a lot higher than buying a mint example, That's true of any classic car though, my own belief is to buy the best you can afford , but if that is not getting close to the car you want, keep on saving . The cars are going up a bit but probably not as fast as one might be able to save.

Tough call though. I have been asked to sell my standard car a few times over the years, but I have always shy away just because if I let it go , I wont be able to get another as good. I will have to sell it one day or the wife will................

My red car used to be up Peterhead way, the last tax disc was up Peterhead, and the car was silver with a black roof before I changed it to what it is. 

I agree Gerry with your advice on buying the best you can afford. I've learned the hard way by not doing that in the past.....

I don't recognise the registration on your red car either,  I'm pretty good with reg numbers usually too. I can't think of a silver/black roof Coupe in Peterhead, was this the colour it was when you got it or its original spec?

Edited by steviemillar
Spelling Mistakes (bloomin IPad!)

In North East Scotland there seems to be a lack of choice and opportunities to buy a restoration and if there is I feel that the price asked dose not Allow for restoration costs, is this just a problem with the Aberdeen area? I do not know of a restored example being available up here since I saw a white F reg exclusive coupe in Montrose advertised in the Scott ads approx 2011  for £3000 and I think it went to Ireland and was converted to a manscona. By the time I phoned the lad he had sold it !That's why I think now that a restored one may be the best option. (I realise prices are up since then). would the person who restored it realistically ever get anything near to the cost of renevation? If you are not mechanically gifted, labour rates at a garage could be crippling. England always seems to have a steady supply of mantas advertised on e bay but before you spend £4000 + a viewing would be essential and that's not so easy done from Scotland, then if you buy you have always to factor in transport costs on top. I know it would be a labour of love but it could quickly empty a fairly healthy bank account. I'm hoping there are loads of mantas up here in Grampian that's been tucked away going to pop up for sale and easy to view over the next few years! I remain positive but have we missed the opportunity Stevie the time to buy was in the 90's when the insurance got expensive and a lot of young guys could not afford the insurance premiums and you could have picked up a good example real cheep!

Yep sold my 1976 SR for next to nothing circa 1992 as I couldn't afford to fix the gearbox jumping out of second..and sadly it seems they scrapped it from the records, wasn't anything bad other than dull paint and the auto choke playing up and the indicator fuse constantly blowing, gutted loved that car.. did all the welding in the usual spots and it just passed an mot, can't get my head around the fact it never came back on the road... for the sake of £250 I should have kept it :'-(

Hello lads I'm the lad from Montrose that had the White  f exc coupe 2011 I sold it to a lad for £4000 in Creiff then it got sold again and a stupid front end was put on. One thing ive learned over the years with the many manta's I've owned road and track use is to buy from as far south as possible unless your able to do the work your self, Gerry mark rod and I can all do welding etc Gerry and rod both paint there own cars too, if you can't do this work then try buy the best you can, Jim 

• Like 1

Pws1 I wish you sold that car to me as I would still have it in original condition, standard as it came out of the factory and tucked up nicely in the garage and go out in nice sunny evenings and weekends ( we do get sunny days here in Grampian....... I think! ) and attend manta meets. Too slow I missed an ideal opportunity on my doorstep! What's happens to Scott adds never see them now. Gumtree must have taken over.