Restoring Rostyle Wheels?

Berlinetta

I painted mine with SMOOTH HAMMERITE silver,( 3 coats) two years ago,spent a lot of time cleaning/prepairing them, but even if I say so myself they still look great, I can't comment on powder coating, as I've never done it, and there's no need to spray the Hammerite, with a good fine brush it will look as though it has been sprayed.

Edited by Julian
wrong spelling

• 2 weeks later...

I want to restore the Rostyle wheels on my (recently purchased) '78 Manta Coupe.

I enquired about having them powder-coated but it seems - due to the build up of the powder coating where the black meets the silver - that this is not the best way to achieve a showroom finish. Seems that traditional spray painting is the best(?) route to take.

Any experiences with restoring Rostyle's guys?

Edited by Berlinetta

I had my Rostyles blasted, etch primed and painted both sides, although they are plain silver as my B is only an "L" and I wanted to keep it original.

I did ask the firm that did the work how they would paint in the black sections for people that wanted them and they said that it would probably have to be done by hand after the silver had been applied, rather than sprayed.

I paid £60 per wheel inc vat.  They look like new (far better than I could have achieved - I'm much too impatient!)DSCF1625.thumb.JPG.e9cf99da9efbf56b5fd13

• Like 1

From 1975 till 1979 MK 1 Cavalier Coupes & poverty spec Manta B's came with silver Rostyles & Manta SR's & Berlinettas came with Silver Rostyles with black inserts.

I think ATS classics were offered as an option in 1978 & became standard on Manta SR Berlinettas in late 1979.

Interestingly the Manta GT/J (2 slot nose) was supplied as standard with Silver/Black Rostyles & ATS wheels were an optional extra.

55ef2737106c9_images11.thumb.jpg.782673d

I prefer the look of the Silver/Black Rostyles

Manta B 018.jpg

Cavalier Compressed.jpg

Edited by Rapierdave
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I will get them powder-coated in silver and paint the black inserts at a later stage.

Incidentially, is there a specific shade of silver I should request when getting the wheels powder coated?

Rapierdave,

Do you know what size tyres are on the gold Coupe above?

The tyres on it appear to have a 'fuller' (wider) look to them than those on my car (or indeed compared to the green Coupe above).

Edited by Berlinetta

Hi 

The tyres are 185/70 x 13 & are standard fit for 5.5J Rostyles.

Thanks. It must be the light (or how new the tyres look) which give me the 'wider than normal' impression.

A couple of questions you may be able to answer for me -

- Is there a specific shade of silver used on Manta Rostyle wheels?

- Where sould the black 'meet' the silver, i.e. do they 'meet' at the upper edge, or at the lower / 'step down' edge (hope ths makes sense?!)?

• 2 weeks later...

On my cavvy coupe I took the wheels back with a wire brush drill bit, then etch primered, then sprayed silver and laquer before hand painting the black in 'one shot' enamel. Turned out nice and still lookin good after 3 years on the car

mvrostylefinishedj

• Like 1