Glass's car checkbook

Thomas77GR

Hey all

Does anyone have the above book for the years 1965 to 1981, I am trying to look up my A series' year of manufacture from the vin no. so I can send it to DVLA for proof. If anyone has got it and can help could I please ask that you PM me? many thanks in advance!

p.s is it true that once your classic reaches 40 years of age it now qualifies for free road tax?

The DVLA website states:

You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1975 

So - correct that vehicles over 40 years old are tax free. It took a while for this date to be moved from 1971 but I think the government decided that it would be amended more frequently now. Roll on 1979 and I get my first batch of free car tax!

As for the above, I think Mark Kinnon had all the details for A series models - it may be worth dropping him a PM, although I don't see him on here all that often any more, (he was one of the guys that originally set up the club website). Mark is "Beaker" on the forum.

I have replied to Thomas' email to me. Mark passed on everything he had to me when I took over the A series reg. Unfortunately DVLA have decided they will only accept extracts from factory records, or info from Glass's check books. I have managed to get ones that run from 1965 to 1982, although a lot of information for B series cars is missing from them so I'm not sure whether we'll be able to prove the manufacturing dates for them. I have tried to get info from Germany but had no luck.

Hi Thomas, your Manta was assembled in Antwerp, the last week of February 1974.

@1900SR:

This info was given by Rainer Manthey, a German with a lot of knowledge of Manta-A. He even wrote books about them.

He is also co-webmaster of   http://www.manta-a-online.de/

More info about VIN you can find on http://www.opel-infos.de/startseite.html

It is in German, not so diffucult for me, there we had the visit of Germans several times in history... (LOL)

@Thomas: the source of the info about your VIN is the result of years of gathering info about Manta-A.

Grtz, Herman.

Hi Herman, that's very interesting. Unfortunately the authorities in the UK will only accept either an extract from the factory build records, or a copy of the details provided in a trade publication called Glass's Check Book. The Glass's Check Books have the required info for Manta A, but not for all Manta B models. I only have books up to 1982 so not sure if they have details for the B2.

My German is non-existant, they didn't quite make it this far ;-). However, my brother has lived in Germany for a number of years so would translate for me.

• 2 years later...