F reg 1988 Exclusive coupe restoration

Kevin Abbott

Reading through this thread one thought struck me about the bodged repairs, they actually saved this Manta !

Bad though they were it kept this Manta in exsistance long enough for it to survive into an era when a major restoration of it was viable / desirable, otherwise it might have scrapped, true it would have been much better had the repairs been done correctly but any successful attempt to keep it away from the scrap yard is preferable to it being crushed.

You certainly are undertaking some serious Manta surgery, i expect this Manta to come out looking at least as good as Danny's Coupe....... By Billing next year !!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Been doing some more rust repair to this but it's difficult and very time consuming. I'll just do a  picture dump here for now. 

The bilt hamber deox c didn't work on the a posts so  I emailed them to ask why.  Apparently it doesn't work under 10°c and that was news to me after sticking nearly £20 of the stuff on :angry: 

So back to hydrate 80 that did a great job. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The heat gun stopped working so down to B&Q we go. Picked up a heat gun. Went back from the trade counter to be told " that doesn't have a warranty" 

Well hang on, it says 2 years on the box 

" not if you buy it at the trade counter"

Well balls to that and we paid for it at self service. Bosh, 2 year guarantee :lol:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

'A' posts seem to fit well. 

Trimming and bending the sills to fit. They never seem to have enough of a bend on the bottom edge to inner sill so always need messing with. 

Edited by Kevin Abbott
typos
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2016 at 2:52 PM, Kevin Abbott said:

Been doing some more rust repair to this but it's difficult and very time consuming. I'll just do a  picture dump here for now. 

The bilt hamber deox c didn't work on the a posts so  I emailed them to ask why.  Apparently it doesn't work under 10°c and that was news to me after sticking nearly £20 of the stuff on :angry: 

So back to hydrate 80 that did a great job. 

The heat gun stopped working so down to B&Q we go. Picked up a heat gun. Went back from the trade counter to be told " that doesn't have a warranty" 

Well hang on, it says 2 years on the box 

" not if you buy it at the trade counter"

Well balls to that and we paid for it at self service. Bosh, 2 year guarantee :lol:

'A' posts seem to fit well. 

Trimming and bending the sills to fit. They never seem to have enough of a bend on the bottom edge to inner sill so always need messing with. 

Where is the best place to buy sills from? I think I will be needing a pair. Found some on Ebay and Dr Manta but I'd appreciate your advice.

• 6 months later...

Wow! Last update was Feb.

It's probably the most welding that we have done on any of our cars but it all needs chopping out.

The whole back panels are scrap but as luck would have it Carl brought home a solid B series coupe so the deal has been done and a mint set of rear quarters and rear panel will be going onto this instead of welding in bits and bobs all over the place 

• Like 3

On 11/02/2016 at 00:52, Kevin Abbott said:

Glad you shared that, better get my finger out before it gets too cold for it to work on mine!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRealExile said:
  On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 00:52, Kevin Abbott said:

I did know about this as I was going to make myself a large bucket heater (Have you seen the price of them on eBay :o) to put my axle parts in, (No good for A posts though :ph34r:) as it helps to keep the Deox C activated. I always mixed the solution with hot water.

Looking good for another Manta saved again by Abbott Enterprises :thumbup

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robah said:

I did know about this as I was going to make myself a large bucket heater (Have you seen the price of them on eBay :o) to put my axle parts in, (No good for A posts though :ph34r:) as it helps to keep the Deox C activated. I always mixed the solution with hot water.

Looking good for another Manta saved again by Abbott Enterprises :thumbup

i have plenty of tropical fish tank heaters if any use to you 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Bump, do any of the pictures now load for anyone else?

This whole thread only has links to pictures, when i clicked on one to try it i was taken to a Photofucket page that announced the site was under maintainance.

1 hour ago, Kevin Abbott said:

Or is it just me?

probably... too many late nights and paint fumes......

SO,,KEV,,you gotta thread thread for all to read no?,,so why pics only for members??? am i missing the point?either you can peruse or not simple really init,,im not paid and nor am i going to pay,,then obviously i shouldnt be able too see the thread at all full stop .....negative again steve????????????

i realise that rob,,im not avin a go at kev,,its the whole set up in general,,its black n white either you can or you cant,,simple there shouldnt be any half way house,,like av a good read boys who dont pay?,,but piss off you cant see the pics? wats that really all about 

stever

52 minutes ago, steve price said:

........................ you cant see the pics? wats that really all about 

stever

Right there are two things here.

If pics are hosted outside the site then they should be visible regardless AFAIK

Pics uploaded to the site and stored by the site software are only available to paid up members OR the thread poster if not a member

That's it to the best of my knowledge, so if Kev's still using photobucket the forum software should not be the issue

im not getting my point over clearly enough obviously,,,why can a non paid up eee,read half a topic,,it should be that the topic is not available full stop,,if u avnt paid,,,clearer now,,i dun think half pf you know what the f--k this site is all about anymore,,be honest wi yourselves,,its clear as day to me 

1 hour ago, steve price said:

im not getting my point over clearly enough obviously,,,why can a non paid up eee,read half a topic,,it should be that the topic is not available full stop,,if u avnt paid,,,clearer now,,i dun think half pf you know what the f--k this site is all about anymore,,be honest wi yourselves,,its clear as day to me 

I understood.  I am making it clear that what is being described does not appear to be a defect.

While I disagree with the policy of hiding photos, it is implemented on request of the democratically elected, by paying members, committee.  If you wish to vote you need to be a paying member I believe. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Ok. So back onto this now as the exclusive hatch and the mancona are done. 

Work shop tidied up 

A posts added. All panels zinc primed inside 

sills replaced. I always find the bend in the lower part isn't ever enough so it's over to the bench for a bit of late night bending 

all the crap cut out and and butt welded where possible  

rear corner section replaced from a cut off a non spoiler b series  ( I don't throw anything away ;))

lots of bilt hammer used and plenty of Electrolux thrown around :D

• Like 2