CIH rocker studs

I had a coupe of rockers studs come out when trying to change rockers on the old CIH, finding it hard to get new ones, any ideas? I couldn't get the nus off the old ones as they have no flange to hold and although the engineering place is use machined them off the threads don't look great so i thought new ones would be a better bet, as i don't want the same things to happen again.

Any ideas on how to get the new ones in tight? is there a tool for fitting them?

Its a 2.4 frontera head, but after a google they look the same for all CIH.

I did find a place in Germany that shows they on their website as being in stock but i dont hold much hope as all the other ones i found that said they had them didnt :-(

Any ideas or anyone that has some good second ones would be most appreciated as this is holding up the whole trying to get the A running again process :-)

thanks  Andy

Had the same problem with the 2.4 i'm building, ended up changing seven studs over time. I found a set of studs from Green parts but i think they were the last he had, could try Splendid Parts or the like, also get new nuts each time.

The only way i found to fit was to make sure the threads in the head are clean and dry. Apply a small drop of thread lock to the stud but make sure it won't block up the oil hole. Get two old nuts and cut the crushed tops off and then fit these to the stud and use them as lock nuts but you will have to do them up bloody tight. I then used a crows foot spanner on my torque wrench to do them up and leave for a while for the tread lock to cure.

The only thing that worries my is you have the lock the two nut together so tight i'm wondering if it will stretch the thread. The new nuts should wind down the stud to the crush part of the nut by hand and i used a drop of light oil on the threads.

I will say though this isn't fool proof as i have had the nuts wind down by hand and then tighten with a rachet only for the nut to lock on the tread and as you have said, once they lock on you can't get them off, this is what makes me wonder if the thread is stretching.

I've have have had a look on TIS and this is the way they advised doing it, there are no special tools needed.

Cheers

Andy

Afraid I can't help you much on where to find them, but if you do get them, some of the strong loctites are the job for putting them in. We use 'Red' and 'Green' in work for installing stuff 'bl00dy tight', I'll look up the proper Loctite numbers for you in the morning.

I have a few (essentially scrap) heads here with studs in them, I'd be happy to have a go at getting the studs out of them for you, if you're stuck? No idea what condition they'd be in, but I'll try if you like.

Fin

Hey Andy

Thanks for the info. I wonder if its something to do with these 2.4's as never had a problem on all the other 1.6, 1.9 or 2.0L engines with this happening. They did see to come out quite easy so makes me wonder about the others. I have a full set of new nuts, collars and rockers to go on when the new cam goes in but never even thought about getting the studs.

I have tried all the usual places like green parts and no one has them. The only place that list as actually available to deliver is http://www.krause-rennsporttechnik.de/ but i have dropped them and email and no reply, so im not convinced.  Gil at opel GT source says that as they are having so much problems getting them he is having them made but they wont be ready until Christmas time. So i think im going to place an order for some and sort something out in the mean time to get it up and running.

I think if i can find some old nuts i might wind the old ones back in so i can get the car running and then when i can get the new ones from Gil install the new ones with new nuts and new cam and see how i get on.

Fin

Thanks for the offer. I might have to take you up on that depending on how things go as i might need to do this in a 3 stage rebuild. The old one to get the car going, some second hand one on the next phase to the the new cam in and then the final fit with all the new bits when its all tuned.

Its so annoying that something this simple can be so hard to get!!

I will keep you both posted on the progress and Fin i will reply to your message tomorrow night.

thanks guys.  Andy

Usually Krause are pretty good, I've found that anything they show on their website, they actually will have. In terms of getting some made, you could surely get a machine shop to make some long before Christmas? They wouldn't be cheap, but if we measured one up, I don't see why we couldn't get someone to make a batch, if you were really stuck.

On the Loctites, Loctite 270 (green) is a likely candidate, and the one we use here for 'permanent' fastening. Good to 180degC, with a breaking torque of 33Nm. Loctite 278 is similar. Alternative would be 276, which is even stronger at 60Nm, but sets in 3 minutes, so you better be quick...!

I know Gil has already had some made but rejected them as the tapper on the stud wasn't upto spec. I'd imagine he is waiting for the next batch to come in which will then need testing before being signed off and offered for sale.

Oh, and i have had them pull out of the GT's 2.2 head as well so not just the 2.4

Andy

Hey Fin

Thanks for the Loctite info i will have a look at getting some of that for the final build.

Andy

Marco from Krause has got back to me and said he has some in stock so i have placed an order, so i will let you know how it works out. you have to do a bank transfer with them which is a pain as they have lots of nice stuff and i would probably by more from them if they just did PayPal!

Still it probably save me spending too much :-)

Andy