Cavvy Coupe - to lower or not to lower?

Rob36

Hi guys.

Ive recently pulled my Cavvy coupe out of the garage after it being sat there a couple of years. She needs a bit of welding (drivers floorpan and outrigger) plus a front coil spring for the MOT. Since I have to change the spring, Im considering going for a 40mm drop. I cany afford shockers just at the mo (since i have to pay for the welding now!) so it would just be a swap of the springs. Thought Id ask the pros / cons of it before I went ahead with it! How is the handling affected on these cars with a drop like this?  I definitely think it would look cool, but might be tempted to keep her standard if it would cause other probs or increase the chances of other bits wearing out quickly - money is tight at the mo!

Saw these on the 'bay - seen a good deal? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271683076743?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Heres a pic of her currently...

cavvyout.jpg

Edited by Rob36

The problem with aftermarket springs like those is that you don't know what sort of ride height they will actually give on your car.

Yes it says 40mm drop, but from what starting ride height? There were 4 or 5 different heights (at least) on different models over the years (never mind a difference between hatch and coupe) and most spring people just make 1 set of springs for all the cars.

Couple of people on here have bought lowering springs that jacked their cars up like a 4x4 and had to remove them and send them back for a refund. Have a look through the tech section i think there are several posts with pics on there.

Yeah what your saying makes sense bud, it has occurred to me that it didn't mention what variant of manta it was 'dropping' 40mm from! I guess the same could be said for 'standard' height springs too though? Are genuine Vauxhall / Opel parts still available though? I have to sort a spring of some sort for her, probably one for each side all things considering! 

Whatever you decide on spring wise if you haven't changed the front springs on a cav before and you are doing it yourself please be careful these are dangerous things to change ,if your not confident doing it get someone that has done it before to do it for you :)

I've changed struts / springs before, I've done banger racing for the last 8 years or so, comes with the territory, but must admit I haven't swapped out cavalier springs before now. I'll be enlisting the help of a man who has though! 

The biggest issue I have regularly seen with lowering is when people have the  bump stop resting on the wishbone - that means you may as well not have a spring, the spring rate is your bump stop. Bump steer is horrid and if a bump stop is missing the car either knocks or is all over the road or both.

This is more of a minefield than I realised! Someone on the Facebook group suggested standard GTE springs would be a good solution, but would they risk causing the bump steer problem? Here was me thinking I'd be able to just buy up some 'standard' springs and slap em on if the lowering idea turned out to be not a good idea! Meanwhile the car is sat in the mot shop! Luckily the garage owner is a mate, but all the same hell only have a certain amount of patience I reckon :s need to find something really and go for it.

Change of plan! Sourced some new-old stock standard mk1 cav ones. Im hoping coz theyre older parts, they might be a better bet for a good 'true' standard ride height than the seeming pot-luck of the modern components. Cheep enough to be worth a punt on too!! A subtle drop was very tempting, and Id like to do it at some stage (still might have to if this plan backfires!) but need to fund a bit of welding and bodywork too so this seems sensible. Ta for the advice guys!! Ill let you know how I get on :)

• 3 weeks later...

the spring rate is your bump stop. Bump steer is horrid

but would they risk causing the bump steer problem?

Bump steer has nothing to do with the bump stops, compressing the rubber bump stop does not change the dirrection the wheels are pointing. The car may be unstable on the road if is bottoming out but the wheels remain pointing in dirrection the steering wheel intends them to be.

Bump steer is a term used to desciribe the action of a poorly designed suspension system where the suspension componants and steering componants do not work in harmony.

When a suspension system moves upward over a bump in the road the steering system, usually the trackrod, has to follow this movement, moving through the same radius as the suspension componants, if it did not it would cause either 'toe in' or 'toe out' of the wheels, getting more exaggerated the further towards the limits of the suspension travel.

As for lowering, if you are going for looks then yes fit shorter springs, but beware i have had 'progressive rate lowering springs' in the past and i have seen pictures of other cars with similar springs, one section of the spring quickly becomes perminantly closed together, making the car very low and causing it to all but ride on the bump stops.

If you want better handling then spring rates are more important, touring car racer Rob Gravett always maintained this, he did not run his cars at minimum ride hight and he won the BTCC !!