Radiator fan for 2.0 CIH

steamo

Hi all. I'm trying to track down an original fan for my mk1 cav.

It was originally a 1600 but it's been fitted with a 2000 CIH. The car always got a little warm and required the electic fan to keep it cool, even when in motion. I've since fitted a larger 2000 rad as I realised that the smaller 1600 one was still in the car however it still seems to need the electic fan more than I'd have thought.

It's obvious that it would originally have been fitted with some sort of mechanical fan or maybe a viscous type as the electric one clearly isn't a factory job. Hence I'm thinking refitting one may help resolve the issue. But I'm struggling to track something down as I don't really know what I'm looking for. I don't suppose anyone knows what I need or even has one for sale?

Many thanks. 

I will have a look for a fan set-up, must have one somewhere.

I am not sure that this is the root of your problem, unless the electric fan is tiny, very slow or even fitted the wrong way around then fitting the original fan will not make much difference.

What you perhaps have is a clogged water system, because when the car is on the move the airflow from the forward motion should keep it cool, in theory while driving the fan will only pull air at the same speed as the air coming in the front so can't add to the airflow.

I have seen two litre Cavaliers / Mantas with 1600 rads and when i have pointed this out to the owner they have said they don't get any over heating trouble.

Do the basic things, flush the system, particulary the heater matrix ( might need to take it out to do that, these often clog solid ) check the thermostat is working correctly ( in a saucepan of water brought to a boil )  and when you re-fill the system get it just warm enough to open the thermostat as you arrive at a very steep hill or drive onto car ramps to get the nose high up, this will get rid of the airlocks that are prone to form, especially in the heater matrix. top the coolant level up before returning to level ground.

• Like 1