Hi all

Paul 84

hi I'm paul from the high peak in Derbyshire I've just joined as after many years I've been able to buy myself a 1981 w plate manta it needs a lot of work but its all do able with a little time and effort it was originally a gt j but it will be having my 20xe engine fitted out of my old track car as Iv had it years and have rebuilt it a few times now so I now it inside out and it's got lots of goodies inside and out I will be asking lots of questions over the coming months regarding parts and were I can source them from so I hope I don't annoy you all with my questions its just I want to rebuild it to the best of my ability and hopefully I will have a beautiful manta to take to the track and shows and just generally enjoy thanks for your time and I hope I get to no you all kind regards paul.

Hi and Welcome Paul, good to see another Manta to be saved and used. No questions on here are daft it is sometimes our answers that are :ph34r:.

As we always say got any pictures of your project to upload.

I have an XE (standard) running Manta

WP_000219.jpg

Wow that's looks fantastic I will be taking loads of pics soon and I'll put them up if you don't mind me asking where did you get the bonnet or did you do it yourself I could do with one when I'm done to help mine breath and also great to see another manta xe Carnt wait for mine to be done as Iv wanted a manta since I was a young lad so it's like Christmas has come early for me this year

• Like 1

The bonnet is Fibreglass and very good quality one, there are a few 2nd hand ones knocking around but a company called YouBros Grp Kits ( located in Newcastle) on Facebook and this site make a good quality 400R kit and bonnets.

There are quite a few XE running Mantas on the site, hopefully you have all the items required to slot in the XE in to the Manta. A lot of the ancillaries like sumps, gearboxes and engine mounts can add up to a £500 hole in the pocket if you are lucky to get decent ones. Retro power make great repo sumps and if your lucky enough to get a decent Stainless Steel exhaust made by them it will bling your engine bay (as below). Exhaust manifold is another big hole in the pocket, but defo worth it.

I do know that there is a silicone hose company that make bespoke hoses for the conversion as my car was used to make the pattern parts they are www.jsperformance.co.uk and are reasonably priced via them direct or Retro Power.

IMAG0239.jpg

Nice neat install on your xe good to no there's plenty of xe mantas on here as I'll need everyone's advise Got most of the parts already been collecting them up for a while big wing sump and pick up pipe engine mounts rebuild gearbox 2.5inch manifold and system back axel with lsd as my xe is 240bhp got 4 pot front calipers. but still need the coolant hoses so thanks for that I'll look them up soon and the bonnet I will be looking up as well if you don't mind me asking how have you got on with your brake servo as when Iv measured up mine it is in the way for my plenum chamber for my carbs so may have to go down the bias pedal box with no servo ?

Welcome to the club.

For a 16v on carbs it depends what manifold you have and the angle they sit at for clearance. If the carbs would clear the master cylinder but would hit the reservoir you can remotely mount the reservoir with plastic angled pieces fitted to the master cylinder. Or have a look up for the Polo servo conversion in the tech pages, that has a slightly smaller diameter servo and a master cylinder that is about half the length. Seen both ways done with carbs before.

Nice neat install on your xe good to no there's plenty of xe mantas on here as I'll need everyone's advise Got most of the parts already been collecting them up for a while big wing sump and pick up pipe engine mounts rebuild gearbox 2.5inch manifold and system back axel with lsd as my xe is 240bhp got 4 pot front calipers. but still need the coolant hoses so thanks for that I'll look them up soon and the bonnet I will be looking up as well if you don't mind me asking how have you got on with your brake servo as when Iv measured up mine it is in the way for my plenum chamber for my carbs so may have to go down the bias pedal box with no servo ?

Mine is still running injection as standard so it is a close fit but no modding required. You do have to slightly mod the bulkhead top lip for the engine to sit right and if you have a dizzy type head you will either end up losing the original heater box or getting the conversion bracket fitted to front of the engine. The engine rubber mounts are thicker 50mm? I do have the Quinten Hazel Part No somewhere if you require it (not that expensive) and from a Frod Capri if my memory serves me right.

The part number would be great for the rubber mounts please I have got the dizzy mount for the front of the engine but my manta is already missing it's heater matrix so in two mind if to get one or leave it out. I'll try get some pics put up soon as well thank you

The 50mm mounts are available from http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=609_881_884&products_id=7219 you need to run a spacer under the mount to get the sump level (as it should be) thinks it 3 or 4mm i use.

Normally i only use a 50mm h/d mount on the passenger side which is the one that can rip apart from the rotational forces of the engine on rapid starts etc. i run a normal mount on the drivers side. You can run 2 H/D mounts but you will get increased vibration through the shell.

Hi Paul, just seen the car you bought on eBay :thumbup looks a good solid project at a very nice price.

if you ever come to sell the carb inlet manifolds and carbs originally with the car can I have first shout at purchasing them, that is if you already have ones on your monster XE.

• Like 1

No problem mate I'm going to be pulling the engine out and apart this weekend I was thinking of selling the dizzy set up carbs manifold off the engine as Iv got all my bits on my xe already was thinking of doing it in a bundle if your interested let me no I'm sure we can sort something out for you and it frees some money up for me to put into her

• Like 1

If you run the 50mm H/D mounts both sides the sump will be level but sit slightly bellow the crossmember, so i would use spacers on both to raise it that little bit. Its just because the original rubbers are a little more than 50mm when the engine is sat on them.

If you split the carbs/ dizzy there are quite a few people who would be interested in the bracket and dizzy (including me)

Ok no problem I'll wait for Robah to get back to me as he asked first but that's great I need to work out how to put pics up then I can show you what Iv got thanks the more I can sell at this point the better as I would rather some one use them rather than them sitting in a box and getting forgot about