'84 Manta B 2.0 GTE Blackie_2k5

blackie_2k5

hi all.. new to forum and manta ownership, just picked up my first being a 2.0 GTE in white

I run a recovery business and got a call from a bloke wednesday asking if i could move a classic for him tomorrow (thurs) as hes moving out and emigrating, he had a buyer lined up and the buyer messed him around (fool) so he wanted it taking to storage for now so he can move and come back to it later. At that point i knew only it was a manta..nothing else, but told him id come for a look this afternoon and potentially buy it, i was quite busy on the morning and forgot to ask even specs or engine lol, just asked condition and a price in mind, he told me the bodywork was good for the age but its never been ran in 10 years aswel as giving me a price he was looking for.

He called later in the day as agreed and gave me address, i could tell he was an older bloke and was fully expecting a rotten 1.2 or something but i pulled up at the house, and sure enough two moving trucks were parked outside with movers loading furniture.. as i walked up i could see the garage door open and there was an awesome looking white GTE tail end poking out!!

after having a quick look and chat the old fella told me hes had it sat there ten years having owned it 25 years, used to use it daily etc and wishes he could take it with them but it just didnt fit in with their lifestyle back when it was parked up and even less so now (retiring in spain) 

i never looked at the car as i could see enough from the 3 pics below.. simply asked him, "both knowing it needs work, whats it going to take for me to tell you ill take it now" e gave me a price and i shook his hand. 

so here that was:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

so i had to wait till the following morning to collect as the trucks etc were in the way, i left smiling ear to ear having just agreed a sale on a car ive wanted since i was in school seeing one parked up on a drive every day (yeah im only 27 lol)

arrived next day, collected, loaded and got the old fellas email as we agreed id keep him updated on the car as it gets along. I got it back to the unit and gav it a wope down allover, didnt want to was it as theres some scabs in places on the body where its sweated under the cover for all those years and didnt want the water getting under it. it come up REALLY well lol

i knew itd need some work and seems it was parked up as the engine is seized, plugs were out and alt belt was off so i knew (but i never went into it expecting it to run on the orginal engine so it was no worry)

plans are to restore it and use it> few more pics

ive already collected another standard engine and some spare lights front/rear and a few other bits from a mate for cheap so it all go from here :y:

• Like 4

cheers robah, the car is not without its faults but im happy with it so far

gave it a good look over when it was on the truck and all seems pretty good on first inspection, did notice one of the swan necks was split when i started to get the engine ready to come out yesterday, so thatll need a section cut out and welded, give the other side a good bang an it seems ok but ill probably drill it when i do the other side and see what the inside looks like. aside from that its solid

other than that its complete and everything thats expensive to replace is here in good shape.. so body work and welding is easy enough

time will tell

• Like 1

You Jammy B'stard, that really does look like a good Manta, perhaps it is not perfection but it would still grace a car show without embarrassing you, well found.

i knew itd need some work and seems it was parked up as the engine is seized, plugs were out and alt belt was off so i knew (but i never went into it expecting it to run on the orginal engine so it was no worry)

many years ago myself and some other Manta / Vauxhall nuts dug a black GTE out of a garage that had be sat for nine years, with a big knuckle bar we got the engine to just about turn over, put in some fresh fuel then towed up and down the road behind a Citroen Xantia, first there was orange smoke from the exhaust which we think was rust from the cylinder bores, then black smoke which was probably old fuel, then it fired up, after a couple of minutes it settled down and it drove up and down the road like it had just been switched off the day before !!

So get some Diesel down the cylinder bores, a big knuckle bar and free the engine off, fresh fluids and rubber fuel pipes and the engine might well be able to give some more years service.

When the end of the world arrives two things will survive, Cockroaches and Cam-in-Head engines !!!

• Like 8

Have a flick through some of the projects on here to read about the swan neck area. If the neck has a split its caused by the inner section. It is double skinned most of the way down with a thicker inner U section inside and triple skinned at the point the rear outrigger bolt goes through. The inner (middle) section is made of poor metal and absorbs moisture that runs down inside the leg and rusts/swelling up which forces the outer to split.

Which means when you cut into it you will likely have to go a fair way to get all the middle section out and replaced before recovering it. Outer skins are available new from Germany at a good price. To do it right you need to drop the front crossmember out fully.

• Like 2

cheers lads ive already set about it the engine is out lol, i put some diesel down it and rocked it had in gear with the starter out a few times and could see the flywheel  not even budge is smidge lol, shes locked up good and proper, they bay is VERY messy from a serious oil leak and time/use so id say its a fair bet the car was ran low on oil and seized hence being parked ten years.

i managed to score an engine and a load of spares off a mate for £60 so ill just bang that one in and see where we are with the car from there :)

cheers mantasrme i did a bit googling on the swan necks after realising was split, the one thats split has a repair patch in the inside from many moons ago so obvs wasnt done right the first time round, ive got a 2 poster..when its free the whole underside is getting stripped back and welding where needed so should be ok on that front, but will defo have a look at some more threads to help me along

do you have a link for the replacment panels by any chance? 

• Like 1

I use Leidinger Tuning parts, they are only the outer covers and if the inners need replacing i use 40mm box section to rebuild them.

The swan neck part is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271883344531

And the underbody rail if it also needs doing is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271968141367

Note they do left and right ones for either side of the car.

• Like 2

much appreciated (y)

pics of engine out.. note to self.. next time take the box out with it lmao!! that top left bolt on the gearbox is an utter TW*T to get out... im sure someones put a 2.5" long bolt in to wind me up!!

engines are so basic though.. could have the other bare one built up by tomorrow but think ill take my time on it and make it a bit tidier as it looks like its been in the sea lol

plans:

• Get other engine in and get it running/driving
  • can then move it about alot eaiser and get it on the ramp
  • start with the swan necks and any underside issues/probably strip and seal/paint the lot
  • basically rebuild from the bottom up 
  • sort the body work issues in places
  • most likley then go back to to the bay for a an XE on bodies, means it can go back to original if required and not be all messed up. 
  •  

few pics from tonight :)

• Like 1

You'll find tackling the swan necks with the engine and box out of the way a lot easier.

Dirt aside this Manta even looks tidy in the engine bay, even the sound deadening rubber at the back looks intact ( getting any of these in good order is nigh on impossibly )

Great looking hatch. top save, love the interior, hope the chassis isn't too nasty

Pay full membership to join the club and you have access to many high quality pics of people ( including me ) who have done loads of chassis work;)

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 1