GTE i 200

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-GTE-i-200-BARN-FIND-needs-restoration-very-original-/141812391339?hash=item2104ad5dab:g:a1UAAOSwwbdWLpzZ

Looks rotten in the usual spots but it's only in Bury... tempted to have a look even though I shouldn't be spending the dosh. Not as skilled as some of the welding geniuses on here yet but I'd probably learn a lot taking that on!

Not sure how much it's worth I have seen on the omoc Facebook page , that it is very rotten by a friend who's word I would take . if you can repair it all your self I think it would be well worth buying 

See page 5 in EBay adds as there is some information on here about this car

This one will be for the experienced welder. Will need new floor pan, jacking points, chassis legs, sills, rubber door seals damaged, inner wings, bonnet, front cross member behind bumper the legs on each side of the engine have gone to rust,boot floor, back number plate and light Pannel as the boot latch area is rotted away along with the metal lip for the boot rubber. The sunroof area is a mess with rust, possibly a new non sunroof replacement job. Plastic skirts on both sides broken. Interior is shaded green with dampness and mould. Steering wheel has a big divot out of the top left side of it, Most of the glass has the etching for the number plate ground off. I'm no welder or mechanic but I looked at this one and had to walk away. I looked for the vin number beside drivers seat and it was not recognisable I would describe it like a wafer buiscuit! By what I see in the project threads on here some lads have the talent and skills to turn this one around. Some seriously talented lads keeping great cars on the road :thumbup

• Like 5

Thanks for the info, I have welded new cills, rear panels and some patch work before but this looks like it will need some real skill, although seeing some of the threads on here replacing the floor panels has kind of given me a taste for a project.

If the VIN and chassis numbers are gone then what happens with getting a new log book? the fact the reg has been ground off the windows is a little worrying, was the engine number still intact?

Cheers

If you have the VIN number you should be able get the car registerd in your name.

A friend is just going through this process, you need a V62 form onto which goes the VIN number, a sorn form and £25, The DVLA say it would take 6-8 weeks to process.

I'm sure being a member on this forum is to your advantage as you now have a good idea of what you are bidding for and there is a lot of lads with expertese to share. If somebody is bidding blind and just looking at the e bay photos it actually looks presentable, but BIG surprises await. The value of the car is only as high as someone is willing to pay for it. Because I do not have a huge amount of skills mechanically I walked away. Even if you can do the work yourself £800+ in my opinion is getting steep for this one considering the spend that will be required. But best of luck and happy bidding only you will know what limit you are comfortable with. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Yes so glad I found this place. I agree it's steep but keeping a beady eye on it, it could be very nice with a ton of graft...without having seen it in the flesh it's not much worse than my old SR was when I first got it, still remember starting work on the cills and pulling huge balls of glue out not to mention newspaper and anything else they could find to pack it, the deeper I dug the more I found. It needs saving but only by me if the price stays within reason.

• Like 2

Mrs will not be happy :ph34r:

Speaking of which she wanted me to spend £460 (main dealer price) to replace the heater controls etc on her Corsa D as the blowers were stuck pointing to the windscreen. (She's a newish driver and refuses go on the motorway and will not entertain my preferred first choice of car for her)

She has had said 60 plate 1.4 se from ex demo and it has 2,500 on the clock, the heater controls etc were already replaced under warranty so I thought it can't be that and had a dig...... turns out to be the cable again (£14 on Fleabay) but when putting it all back together it seems designed to fail :( modern sh*** :angry:

Hopefully you will be able to bring the old car back to life if and when you win the auction, and good luck on the bidding.

The good thing for you at the moment is a couple of members (Snowy and Danny) are selling chassis legs and sills etc. (if still available) which don't come up that often. MrCarlos has a few spares and the NW England area is a very active area. I drive to Crewe from Haydock for work so I can always assist if you are around those vicinities.

Many Regards

Rob

• Like 2

Hopefully you will be able to bring the old car back to life if and when you win the auction, and good luck on the bidding.

The good thing for you at the moment is a couple of members (Snowy and Danny) are selling chassis legs and sills etc. (if still available) which don't come up that often. MrCarlos has a few spares and the NW England area is a very active area. I drive to Crewe from Haydock for work so I can always assist if you are around those vicinities.

Many Regards

Rob

Hehe I've more than a few spares ;o)

Its worth around £1000 like it is IMHO

• Like 1

These mint looking swan&rails are surprisingly still for sale from danny's collection of spares.B)

Note price is for one,but negotiable for the pair if required.:thumbup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-Chassis-Leg-D-S-Mint-GT-E-400-Exclusive-Coupe-Hatchback-/201457679309?hash=item2ee7d03bcd:g:ZVIAAOSwI-BWKNlN

• Like 1

thinking about the hard work ahead the rolling shell mantasrme had for sale all welded up perfect was a bargain at £2500.

Your not wrong. I was surprised it didn't sell quickly when obvious long term welding projects like above were making so much at the time.

Sold in the end though, and the guy who bought it was very happy about condition when he saw it. Going to have a turbo 6 cylinder fitted apparently.

It went for £1910 :( wasn't paying that much considering how rotten it is. Hope it's gone to a good home though. Have spoken with someone on here about a project they have for sale so hope to cop a look at that soon as possible.

I like that prices of manta's are going up. But it seems to only be coupe projects that are going to take a hell of a lot of work and money to put right. However really good coupe cars that are fully done don't seem to sell for strong money. Its really weird :huh:

• Like 2