Fuel pump for bike carbs

johnboy

Been looking at getting the R1 fuel pump for my bike carb set up, reading on the Yamaha forums the 12v feed to the fuel pump is pulsed via the cdi unit on the bike, does anyone know if these pumps are ok to be wired in with an ignition fed constant 12v rather than pulsed, also where is the best place to mount them, close to tank and low or is in the engine bay ok, will these pumps pull to the engine bay or better pushing fuel from by the tank?

Mounted mine in the boot under the tank coupe , just don't put it were lots going to be exposed to all weather and wired to the normal wiring in a injection car 

I did read the pump's are better pushing than pulling  

As I bought a full set up the previous owner had pump in bay with no problems but you will have to prime the fuel lines first 

Its true all electric pumps are designed to push as they are not very good at pulling.

Having said that my mate has Joe's old hatch that has R1 carbs on an 8v and the pump is mounted bellow the carbs on the chassis rail. Runs absolutely fine there, and he even ran it out of fuel once. Took a while to drag fuel to the front but it did and started up fine.