SGH is doing the rounds

B)http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C677124

i spoke with one of the previous owners of SGH,think it was the one after rapierdave,anyway I seem to recall him saying that it was one of the nicest manta's he had ever driven, in the way it drove braked and handled,the ride quality everything was spot on.

perfect example of keeping things standard is sometimes best,unlike me having changed things and its debatable that its for the best,as I would struggle to say the same for my manta:rolleyes:

Edited by evo3000

Nice looking coupe! So why does it keep being sold on? Are there any hidden issues?

Pity it is now up in Aberdeen at the other end of the country! :|

Just looks like a change of personal circumstances as with the previous owner,i think with this one, for once what you see is most certainly what you get in the pics.

I'm sure stradacab&rapierdave can both support this,if I hadn't of over committed  on my manta I would of already done a bank transfer deposit it on it no questions whatsoever.:wub:

Edited by evo3000

It's double what I was going to spend on that other project but I'm sooo tempted...wonder if the Mrs would understand that I had to deplete the house deposit fund :lol:

Buy it Terry you will not be disappointed its a great car at a good price, just needs some cosmetic work.

Here's SGH back in June 2013 when i owned her.

20130630_100610.thumb.jpg.3ffec758669a24

Edited by Rapierdave
  • Like 2

Hi James,

Dave very kindly pointed me in the direction of the advert and Steve the current new owner also contacted me to offer SGH back to me but after a lot of thought I have decided that my Manta owning days are indeed finished and I have decided to keep with my current cars.

errr, the other end of the world from you... no?!

LOL, yes indeed. But I have another Opel down in Southampton ready to ship over, and a second one will fit in a 40' container easily. More cost-effective to ship two cars in a 40' rather than 1 car in a 20'.

Just the cost to ship down from Scotland to Southampton can be as much as 1K, so makes a big difference to the overall cost of the purchase :(

• Like 1

If they weren't Ian I would have bought it by now, Current owner Steve contacted me last week and offered me first refusal before he advertised it as I had owned her before.

I have also moved the Cavalier on, decided that it wasn't really for me. 

Edited by chrisb
To add text

LOL, yes indeed. But I have another Opel down in Southampton ready to ship over, and a second one will fit in a 40' container easily. More cost-effective to ship two cars in a 40' rather than 1 car in a 20'.

Just the cost to ship down from Scotland to Southampton can be as much as 1K, so makes a big difference to the overall cost of the purchase :(

Ah ha! Shame that this isn't a month later - I'll be going to Aberdeen & back to West Sussex, probably via EasyJet mid December. Its a fair old run but I've done it via the road several times - would be fun & slightly mad in a 35yr old Manta :-)

• Like 1

Ah ha! Shame that this isn't a month later - I'll be going to Aberdeen & back to West Sussex, probably via EasyJet mid December. Its a fair old run but I've done it via the road several times - would be fun & slightly mad in a 35yr old Manta :-)

Well, I might be interested to take you up on that!  If I decide to proceed, and the seller is happy to wait for collection!  I've had a quote from Shiply for 495 pounds so far, but that can be a bit dodgy with some of the transport companies bidding - as I know from experience! :(

In fact, the car might well go to Simon at Suffolk County Mantas if he is happy to do the work on those pillars before the car was shipped over. I'm waiting to hear back from him. Would that be an issue for you? Not sure how far you are from there.

Not a problem, Alex. If you could get it home safely, I could get it collected from you - certainly a lot closer than Aberdeen! What's your postcode?

Would your insurance cover you for any car you have permission to drive?

Tried to send a PM, hopefully that will get to you, don't really want to put my postcode online.

Just an update. I've decided not to proceed with the purchase after discussing with Simon P. I need a car I can import with no present or imminent issues, and from the rust areas on A and C pillars, we agreed the car likely has serious rust around windscreens already and these are first visible signs. Could realistically be a lot of money to spend, and I'm needing to be wise on what cars to ship over, especially when NZ border checks are particularly looking at UK cars for rust issues.

Not saying someone else should not buy, if they are able to do the work themselves, to save money, but not for me - reluctantly! 

Edited by opelnz

Just an update. I've decided not to proceed with the purchase after discussing with Simon P. I need a car I can import with no present or imminent issues, and from the rust areas on A and C pillars, we agreed the car likely has serious rust around windscreens already and these are first visible signs. Could realistically be a lot of money to spend, and I'm needing to be wise on what cars to ship over, especially when NZ border checks are particularly looking at UK cars for rust issues.

Not saying someone else should not buy, if they are able to do the work themselves, to save money, but not for me - reluctantly! 

You can tell this car needs a lot of work so I think Simon has advised you well.

• Like 1