Fuel pump in a hatch

Roy

Hi, does anyone know if there would be an issue relocating the hatchback fuel pump mounting bracket from under the car and putting it in the boot somewhere? I was wondering about wether the fuel would drain back and I'd have problems starting the car.

Anyone done this?

Thanks Roy

Yes there could be, electric fuel pumps push not suck, they might be able to draw the fuel up hill from the tank but then again they could airlock one day.

The instructions for mounting my facet pump on my 1800 Hatch said it should be mounted as close to, and slightly below the fuel tank outlet.

Plus there is the other potential problem of fuel spillage, i put the electric fuel in the boot of a coupe once, fine until a pipe failed and it filled the boot with fuel whilst out one day ! i had to roll it down hill until it was parked over a drain in the gutter, then i knocked out a a gromet in the boot floor to get rid of the lake in boot which also consisted of disolved black boot floor coating, naughty i know, draining fuel into the sewer, but i had to get rid of the fuel to make a repair, i couldn't drive off with a lake of fuel in the back, the Manta stunk for weeks afterwards !!!

If this happened in a hatch it might soak the rear seats and fill the floor pans of the Manta with Fuel, NOT GOOD !! Plus in the unfortunate event of an accident the pump might not get switched off by the relay and though you may have survived the impact you'd be incinerated anyway.

There are good reasons why the fuel pumps are beside the tank outlet under the floor, i think it would be best to keep them there.

• Like 1

There are good reasons why the fuel pumps are beside the tank outlet under the floor, i think it would be best to keep them there.

Yes there are Ian, but I've got a very rusty example of why keeping them under the car is a pain in the **** Lol

If I extended the wiring, presumably I could get a non return valve? But again, as you say if a pipe does give way then you will certainly have an issue.

The main question though is, is it possible? Will it work? regardless of possible leaks..

I've got a very rusty example of why keeping them under the car is a pain in the ****

I have sometimes wondered if a fuel tank needed restoring if it would be possible to modify the sender flange to accept an in tank pump from a more modern car.

Thanks all for the replies. I did buy all new pump and filters and I now have one of Clives nice stainless pump brackets on the way. I guess I was hoping there would be a more convenient solution to tucking it back up under the car again.