JacksTurner

I am done with old cars for the time being unless I could afford one as a second summer car which I cant see being the near future.

This is the most sensible thing I've seen you post in a long time. The fact is old cars are great, as long as they can just be toys. You need to have the time and skills to be constantly looking after one to drive it daily.

Having a fairly modern car is a lot more wallet friendly (not totally convinced by a 200bhp shopping trolley though ;-) )

• Like 2

I know what you mean.I have a new Corsa as a daily drive.When the Manta needs work the is no rush to get it back on the road that day.when l removed the dash it was over 3 weeks,When l replace the upper and lower ball jionts it can be 3/4 weeks to get it  right.the best of luck with the new motor.

• Like 1

I know what you mean.I have a new Corsa as a daily drive.When the Manta needs work the is no rush to get it back on the road that day.when l removed the dash it was over 3 weeks,When l replace the upper and lower ball jionts it can be 3/4 weeks to get it  right.the best of luck with the new motor.

This is the real answer. As I completely disagree that you cannot use an old car every day. But life is so much easier if you have another car to jump into the day that dies.

• Like 1

The Manta that l have is 100% spot on never let me down when out and about.But if you can have 2 cars (one everyday one on weekends) than it nice to walk away when it gets to late in the day and it has not to get don that night.This is one of the joys of being a old fart you can have 2 cars.

• Like 1

I certainly don't miss scraping ice off the inside of the manta onto my legs so I'm even colder on a nice frosty morning.

Give me my 5 series and heated seats with air con anyday!

I can only drive my manta to work for a few days and then the novelty wears off

• Like 2

Ohhh, ive been there, my first car was a manta, been in one everyday! Up until last year, not everyone can or would want to say that!

Change! for the pure reason, too many late nites, i got a car now that i jump in and go, rush hour road rage, even bumpercars if i need to, if it disappears from works carpark, bigdeal, get the bus home,  buy another soleless eurobox. I can count on one hand modern cars that interest me, and they are even over fifteen years old now, 

Put it plane and simple, modern cars are rubbish! Even the nice ones are half hearted, take toyota gt86, non turbo boxer, come on, what about the 1jz!

I do miss the mantas, but i make up for it at the weekends!

• Like 1

This is the real answer. As I completely disagree that you cannot use an old car every day. But life is so much easier if you have another car to jump into the day that dies.

I have a 1994 Carlton as my everyday car.

I also have a 2005 Astra that should be my daily car but it gives me so much sh*t all the time, full silly gimicky things i don't need that keep going wrong and stop me driving the F**king sh*ty thing. i hate it, these modern cars are created for brainless morons who don't even know how to open the bonnet so they are stuffed full of sensors to prevent the morons killing the car when they don't look after it, plus it means the dealer network have the oppertunity to rip you off every few thousand miles when resetting the idiot computer at a service.

The Carlton on the other hand is simple enough that i can repair it myself. so is a Manta.

Get a solid car with known good mechanicals, then with a stock of service / spare parts to hand and the oppertunity for some 'down time' for servicing, then it would be possible to use a Manta everyday, after all that is what they were designed to do when they were built.

• Like 2

Dont think that I mean it is completely humanly impossible, but generally it isnt a good idea, can you imagine using a Manta all year round as an everyday car? Again it is humanly possible but you wouldnt want to do it.

Jack I did for a very long time and I loved it.

Edited by Snowy

I drove nothing but Mantas for 15 years, I still have the one I bought when I was 21 (20 years ago) and used it up until a few years ago.  I did cheat slightly by having more than one but there is a train of thought that I probably made more work for myself by having more than one of them to keep going.

The only reason I stopped driving one daily was that I got into even older American stuff.  The 67 Camaro is the daily driver at the moment when I am not in a work van.

• Like 3

Agree completely and you can have any car as your daily driver if you really want to. I did for the last year but I hated last winter in my last Manta for the reasons kev explained. I have chose not to use one every day for personal reasons and to be honest I mainly just wanted another car and had a change of heart. I plan to still have a drive up to Billing next year possibly for the day to have a look round because its a great car show as we all know, are you Paul and/or Snowy going to be there next year as I have not met either of you yet? 

I Will be there in my yellow cav coupe, but not as an OMOC member 

Edited by Snowy
  • Like 2

If I can get the V8 out, rebuilt and back in the Camaro in time I will be coming in that this year, I have missed Billing for the last 3 years because of having small children and it not being fair to leave my wife with them while I go and have fun but they are bigger now and I think she will understand !

• Like 2

If I can get the V8 out, rebuilt and back in the Camaro in time I will be coming in that this year, I have missed Billing for the last 3 years because of having small children and it not being fair to leave my wife with them while I go and have fun but they are bigger now and I think she will understand !

Be nice to see you Paul & the Camaro, i should be there with HDP 

If I'd of bought it from a dealer for that money and it turned out to be in that condition I'd pursue it to recover some money back. They have a duty to supply fit for poupose and as described. At that price imo itt shouldn't need any amount of welding for years . My hatch was propelly restored in the late 90s and has had minimal welding since. To be fair it's ready for some work again but that's over 15 years later. It's lived out side half of that time too, track dayed, abused etc. At the price it should of been a relatively usable daily driver, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Edited by jamie077366
spelling
  • Like 1