Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

7 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

It’s been a godsend, and to think I had it up for sale. I’ve done so much to it to keep alive too. It’s staying with me for the foreseeable now . 

A student gap bed lathe is on my list of bits to get, was supposed to go look at one in Scunthorpe before lockdown so might have missed it now.  But plenty of good old engineered units out there.

• 1 year later...

Not a mega amount to report but have being doing some bits and still gathering parts for the eventual turbo lump.

Sadly The bonnet had taken a whack from a gazebo and ladder I had stored in the ceiling void above the car. 
with that I’ve had a sore bonnet blasted up on the edges etc to see it’s condition. 
I’ve had some louvres stamped in and a Louvre panel let in where the original heater box area was to tie it all in and aid as much airflow through as possible for the turbo engine. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

To get it running again this summer I’ve installed throttle bodies. The bike carbs have always drove me mad. 

Waiting on an air box still

This is just a stop gap to get it going again. 
It won’t be show condition this year but hopefully keep her rolling until my circumstances change to allow me to work on her properly for its turbo incarnation. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Like those Louves, look very oem and subtle, smart and functional.

Whats plan with heaterbox, modded one or just do away with it?

No heater I think. I do have various kit car ones though. So may go that route 

4 hours ago, bris jas said:

Very useful those vents Paul, Retropower just fitted same to a Chevette rally car their building.

Oh really, no copy intentions I’ll have to check them out. 
So difficult to get a good array of Louvres looking symmetrical on these bonnets with the offset bracing etc. Adrian at buck lane automotive. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointing report time

had the bonnet back from the Louvre stamping, had the shop that was doing it let in the top set of stampings. 
the work is really not up to scratch. Wish I’d of done that myself now. Wouldn’t have minded but the cost was a lot indeed for what I have ended up with. A lot of work to put right. Distortion I can understand but this cut and weld up of the scuttle edge is appalling! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I’ve sussed the warping issue. 

he has cut the exisiting lip but undoing so has not allowed for the slight raise in profile hence the buckle in the bonnet. I’ll be splitting it again and making a more solid edge from some angle profile, with lots of slits to make the profile. It’s very thin the top section a way. I’m also going to add another rib int he centre of the bonnet as it so ‘bongy’ in the middle even with the new louvres there. 

been at with the paint stripper and fibre wheel. 
whoever painted it before has laid it on so thick! 
hopefully  there will be a salvageable bonnet.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

And still it warped ?

I don’t think it’s his welding, it’s where he’s cut and then tried pull it back together with the lip that’s caused the buckling and the e fact the bond has let go from the ribbing. To combat that he’s tried to tack it to hold but that has not let the metal move either. Combo of a few things he’s chosen to do. 
needed a bit more thought. There’s no doubt he’s spent a long time on it. But what has been done hasn’t been thought about enough. 
my biggest bug bear is the cut itself is just simply crap. Wavy as hell. I picked it up in a hurry and didn’t cast my eye down it.....

Also, I’m going to shave a couple of mm off the back edge to give some wider shut lines as the bonnet on the car always caught on the front, this way I can have more clearance all round. Not ideal but 
the panel gaps are crap on the car tbh. 
it was never a concourse minter by any stretch as just wanted to get it built use and abuse it lol. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

I don’t think it’s his welding, it’s where he’s cut and then tried pull it back together with the lip that’s caused the buckling and the e fact the bond has let go from the ribbing. To combat that he’s tried to tack it to hold but that has not let the metal move either. Combo of a few things he’s chosen to do. 
needed a bit more thought. There’s no doubt he’s spent a long time on it. But what has been done hasn’t been thought about enough. 
my biggest bug bear is the cut itself is just simply crap. Wavy as hell. I picked it up in a hurry and didn’t cast my eye down it.....

Also, I’m going to shave a couple of mm off the back edge to give some wider shut lines as the bonnet on the car always caught on the front, this way I can have more clearance all round. Not ideal but 
the panel gaps are crap on the car tbh. 
it was never a concourse minter by any stretch as just wanted to get it built use and abuse it lol. 

Ah, yeah I get that putting these in will be a big time drain if done properly. It's a shame for sure, but If I was having to rectify something I had paid for , I would be having a conversation about them fixing it at least.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m pushing along still with things. It won’t make the VBOA that’s for sure but I’m stopping.

very pleased with how the dash has come out. Couple more bits of detail to go in there but ready to wire up. Need to sort a plug and socket (maybe molex) to connect to corsa loom

servo cleaned, primed, painted Nardo grey. 

final position, pedal all in place a tonne of work to get this right and modify the pedal itself

clutch pedal nearing completion too. It’s pretty much done now but didn’t take anymore pics. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

Never thought of doing the servo like that! Interesting idea. I did think about mounting it on the passengers side and then having an extended bar to operate it but the heater box was in the way and didn't want to loose that. What are you doing with the clutch?

Andy

10 minutes ago, 611 said:

Never thought of doing the servo like that! Interesting idea. I did think about mounting it on the passengers side and then having an extended bar to operate it but the heater box was in the way and didn't want to loose that. What are you doing with the clutch?

Andy

Yeah the Vauxhall nova has that setup I thought about it in a previous build but would lose the heater as you said. 

clutch was hydraulic before on the pedal box inboard, but I’ve had to make up a stand-alone In board one now, made it with what I had lying around and the old cylinder. it’s finished now forgot to take a pic of finished article. 

just need to re engineer the throttle cable now, I may utilise the manta mount again to keep simple but I don’t think it places the pedal where I actually want it this time 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Yeah the Vauxhall nova has that setup I thought about it in a previous build but would lose the heater as you said. 

clutch was hydraulic before on the pedal box inboard, but I’ve had to make up a stand-alone In board one now, made it with what I had lying around and the old cylinder. it’s finished now forgot to take a pic of finished article. 

just need to re engineer the throttle cable now, I may utilise the manta mount again to keep simple but I don’t think it places the pedal where I actually want it this time 

It was the Nova wasn't it!

Are you still sticking with hydraulic for the clutch?

I removed the pedal box as well and bought two pedals, one for the clutch and one for the brakes. Had a bit of fab work to get it sorted but worth the effort as i could put the pedals just where i wanted. used the original setup for the throttle but used a bass drum pedal and modified that so its looks like the original but as its ally its so much stronger and mounts nicely to the floor 🙂

Ah good idea with the bass drum pedal! 
will look into that

i had a bid pedal box before this setup to lose the servo for more room with hydraulic clutch on it too All Internal. Couldn’t keep as in the way for power steering column and I wanted the servo assist. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been sizing up the jenvey plenum I’ve landed for bit a lot of monies, I have various other inlet bits, I need to have this more towards the engine for clearance but will work as I do t intend using throttle bodies for the turbo engine as a pain to setup and balance with forced induction. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I let now complete, had to build up the surface lip with weld where someone had modified it previous but had t really repair it well. 
also re welded up all the crap vacuum holes that had been drilled into the plenum, forgot to take before pics, it’s come out well and the cast ally is of good quality at least. 
Just need a throttle body now and inlet is complete. 

• Like 2