GTE hatch restoration complete

Kevin Abbott

I didn't really know where to post this but as my Brother and I had restored it I thought it would be best here.

As many will know we bought Jacks hatch a month ago.

We got it over the pit and it looked like it had parts cut out ready for repair but not completed.

We welded it all up ( about 20 hours) and did the following.

Sealed and shultz,  a full strip down and raptor wasn't financially feasible on this so it's a good running clean treated car.

New radiator.

Axle fixed.

Voltage reg replaced.

Replaced and refurbished the headlight wipers. 

Fuel tank removed, breather and large hose replaced. It's a re-con tank by fuel re-new so pained it it POR 15.

Clutch fixed.

Electrical issues fixed.

Oil leak found and fixed.

Stupid air horns removed and refurbished standard ones put back.

Rear number plate light crumbled into pieces so painted and replaced.

Side rubbing strips had been removed by Jack and the heads ground off leaving Death Wish 2000 style spikes. We was going to re-bond the rubbing strips on but they look like a throw back to British Leylands Metro so I carefully ground them back and filled the depression with dintrol aluminium filler and then the magic of Tom  the painter came into play. Flatted, primed and painted.

The sticker bloke was called in to make a copy of the ones from my GTE to replace the rubbing strip and add a bit of colour to a monotone car. 

Little bits of trim replaced but it's the best interior I have ever seen.

Compounded and polished.

Fully valeted.

It's now a really sweet hatch.

Proper nice and a credit to it's previous owners.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 7

Great Job, made a good Manta into a perfect one. This would be an ideal Manta for someone looking to get into Manta ownership.

Personally not sure about the stripes, bit too 1980's Halfrauds boy racer for me, but i can see your point about a white Manta being mono-tone

Nice restoration!

As a matter of interest, what exactly did you do to 'restore' the headlamp wiper motors?

One of the headlamp wiper motors isnt working on my '78 Berlinetta. I have several spares, but it would

be nice to know how / if I can fix the old one.

They are generally gummed up with old grease, take it apart and clean and grease then re-build.

Watch for broken connectors and parts falling out.

Last set I re-built went to  Sweden

Cheers

Car now sold..