1980 Mk1 Cavalier GL - Lots of pics

Christina

So here she is! I was originally a little skeptical about this, all I'd seen was one photo from the back of the car, so I went up to have a look at it. I've never seen a car before that's been sat for so long and is still this solid! I expected it to be at least a little rotten. 

So this is how I found it, stood here since 2009

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

f

Filled to the brim with VHS tapes

Fitted with a 2.0 from a manta, still with the 1600 4 speed and axle. I've heard it gets off quick.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Ziebart everywhere, I reckon it's saved it, but It'll have to go!

Battery tray was solid, we attempted to start it, it turned over very nicely but wouldn't fire. probably needs HT leads and plugs, probably condenser and rotor arm too. 

inner wings and wing rails look good

Funky little trumpet horns! They're staying :D 

Jacking points appear solid, but we all know what can be hiding.

Boot floor is solid too :D

Decided I want it :D So the next weekend went back to move it to my friends farm as I've yet to sort out storage for this...

Managed to drag it out from it's resting place and tow it to a trailer waiting at the bottom of the hill. Roads in wales are very tight! No getting the trailer up there.

Love the scenery in north wales, and my first proper look at the car! incidentally some of my earlies memories are going to north wales on holiday in my dads Ascona berlina :)

Best car on this road in a while ;)

Now down at the car park where the trailer was waiting, I could get a proper look around all sides.

Interior is shredded!

Wouldn't mind a 6 dial speedo for this :)

Now up on the trailer I can get a proper look underneath, and she looks solid!

Down in Caernarfon with the reason she's been sitting for so long. 

Sorry for the pic overload! I'm a little obsessed as I can't do anything with it for a few weeks til I can sort out somewhere to put it! Now I know she's going to need some welding, which is fine. The swan necks look pretty good from what I can see but I'd be surprised if they didn't need anything. I think the main jobs will be rebuilding the brakes. The plan is to do what she needs to get it an mot and on the road and use it :)

• Like 4

I have a Manta Hatch from 1981 that was Ziebareted from new and, although peripherally tatty, the important bits were really solid. I hope the gunk has preserved yours too ( that was a quite expensive treatment so someone must have lavished some love on it back in the day)

I reckon that a week giving it the clean, polish and valet that it desperately needs will have that looking like a very viable project. You can source the bumpers, trim and interior bits on here and I reckon you will end up with a very nice car there.

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 2

Yes it seems the Ziebart has really helped it, unfortunately it couldn't save the interior! The underside of the car and the lack of rust is good for 43k miles, but the interior looks more like 243k miles! but from the mot history online the 43k miles is genuine.

On 10/1/2016 at 9:47 PM, Christina said:

I love the banded rostyles on that one too! tasty:D

Ah, at last someone with taste! Lol. All cavs, asconas and mantas need wider wheels, at least 8 inch. Look too jag E type, on standard wheels, if you corner too hard it may tip over!

Here is my manta ziebarted also, from new. Ochre yellow, not jamaicaa 3x 8 inch ats classic wheels, dated 1973, but are available new, benefits over banded rostyles, to name one, bigger brakes, due to better clearance, 

On 11/1/2016 at 7:58 PM, Christina said:

Yes it seems the Ziebart has really helped it, unfortunately it couldn't save the interior! The underside of the car and the lack of rust is good for 43k miles, but the interior looks more like 243k miles! but from the mot history online the 43k miles is genuine.

Get some recaros, much nicer seat, you need the seat rails too, bolts straight in.......

Edited by brady

You Lucky little Bitc... !! (sorry !)

Finding a Cavalier that is low milage and solid, well done.

Looking through the pictures i see it still has the 1.6L radiator, should just cope but a 2L would be better.

The front bumper only needs the trim clips replacing, there is trim missing from the rear of the boot and around the opening below the bumper, these will be hard to find.

On 10/01/2016 at 9:00 PM, Christina said:

Wouldn't mind a 6 dial speedo for this

I like these older clocks myself, but if you need a rev counter then fit the later style clocks

On 10/01/2016 at 9:00 PM, Christina said:

Battery tray was solid, we attempted to start it, it turned over very nicely but wouldn't fire. probably needs HT leads and plugs, probably condenser and rotor arm too. 

You are going to need to overhaul all the systems on this Cavalier, fuel, ignition, brakes, all flexable pipes, change all the fluids, new tyres etc, but when it is done you will have a Cavalier back on the road that you know won't let you down because you have renewed everything.

2 minutes ago, MANTAMAN said:

You Lucky little Bitc... !! (sorry !)

Finding a Cavalier that is low milage and solid, well done.

Looking through the pictures i see it still has the 1.6L radiator, should just cope but a 2L would be better.

The front bumper only needs the trim clips replacing, there is trim missing from the rear of the boot and around the opening below the bumper, these will be hard to find.

I like these older clocks myself, but if you need a rev counter then fit the later style clocks

You are going to need to overhaul all the systems on this Cavalier, fuel, ignition, brakes, all flexable pipes, change all the fluids, new tyres etc, but when it is done you will have a Cavalier back on the road that you know won't let you down because you have renewed everything.

I thought the radiator looked a little small, yeah that makes sense. I have the boot trim in the boot, and didn't actually notice the missing trim under the bumper - bugger! But there is a spare gutter trim in the boot that I might be able to sell to help get one. 

What you described there is basically my plan for it. Once it's on the road I can start worrying about the cosmetic things.

If you manage to get some recaros for your cav, there is a guy in Southport who does vehicle trim and is very reasonably priced. This is what I got him to do to mine, I supplied the centre Opel material via Retropower

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MANTAMAN said:

Bright red leather seats Plumster ?? i guess you have mirrors on your bedroom ceiling as well......

Absolutely, great view of the leather, studded bedcovers..... oops too much info.

Just changed that Dash top from the burgundy'ish colour to a red very similar the seats, ain't the leather a good colour match though?

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, brady said:

Also available in brownish!! Fitted to gold manta gtes, also check out astra gte mk1 and capris and sierras, also top models fitted with recaros.......

^ What he said but get 2 sets of fronts

Then use the right bottom foam of spare left seat on outside of drivers seat and the left bottom foam of spare drivers seat on outer of left seat

And if the bead is gone on drivers seat back only use a good left seat back cover and either find a blank for the extra handle hole (or 2 handles dunno) or someone who can sew to make one good back out of two.

Very cheap way to good seats.

FYI back in the day hatch rear seats used to get used in coupes sometimes, you needed the wheel arch carpets and to cut a slot in the steel back for it to hang on the hooks and the base fitted fine. Coupe rear seats used to be a premium. Not 100% sure the above applies to saloon but exercise for the reader if parts in short supply / you stumble on hatch ones cheap.

Oh and try and make sure they come with subframes and runners as these are worth more than old seats

7 hours ago, Christina said:

I just need the trim that goes under the front bumper I think. 

You will have to check if the little studs are still present like there is across the boot lid. this row of studs go along the forward edge of the valance then turn up on the wing at each side, onto them fit little plastic attachments that the metal trim clips onto.

These trims do get damaged and often owners remove them and tidy the area up by cutting off the mounting studs, if they are absent replacements can be welded in but i would guess that would be a job to do during a restoration program. It would be possible to glue the trims on but gain if this route was taken it is perhaps best left as a finnishing touch after a restoration.