1980 Mk1 Cavalier GL - Lots of pics

Christina

• 1 month later...

Apologies for disappearing! My hard drive broke in my PC and it's just too difficult to use forums from your phone, so it's now fixed and I can carry on :)

Since I've got the car back I've done a few bits and bobs, if you're on the facebook manta group then you've probably seen it there. I've done the ignition bits, points, condenser, ht leads, dizzy cap, and I got her running and driving. But it wouldn't idle right, So I took apart and cleaned out the carb and now it seems to run okay! Well that is until the coil just gave up. Oh and I also got some new rostyles and painted them up.

I'll just dump the pics for now, I'll carry on with better explanations from now on

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Original dealer plate:

This is the worst part of the car, this quarter. It's obviously been bashed and repaired, but badly, also the rot at the bottom corner of the windscreen. It's going to take some imaginative cutting bending and welding to get this to line up better.

My uncle dropped by to have a looksee

Underside shots

This is the only rot underneath:

the chassis legs are mint

The headlights done:

Actually not sure if I like them being this dark, but as long as they work it's okay.

That's pretty much everything so far. I need a new coil as I tried to start it the other day and had no spark, so I figured it's given up.

• Like 1

I've found another cav just around the corner, which I think I'd take the quarter from, plus everything else to sort out this one. It's a metallic blue 2000GL auto but has GLS interior :) It's not much better than mine and the car is rotten, but it has a few brand new (in the 90s) parts like the arch trims and headlights. Last on the road in 98 so they weren't on it for long. Hoping to sort out a deal on it soon :) But then again it depends how much a new quarter is going to cost. What I really need is arches.

2 hours ago, Christina said:

I've found another cav just around the corner, which I think I'd take the quarter from, plus everything else to sort out this one. It's a metallic blue 2000GL auto but has GLS interior :) It's not much better than mine and the car is rotten, but it has a few brand new (in the 90s) parts like the arch trims and headlights. Last on the road in 98 so they weren't on it for long. Hoping to sort out a deal on it soon :) But then again it depends how much a new quarter is going to cost. What I really need is arches.

I have rear quarter, rear panel, rear arches and full sills for a cavalier. 

Very interested to know how you restored your headlamps, in particular what you used to recreate the chrome effect and the process of applying it, loosing the reflectiveness is a major problem with these headlamps.

You are doing a quality job, the wheels look great, got a few Rostyles myself i could bring round for your attension........

An un-savable doner car is a good way of obtaining parts at minimal expense, the only danger being aquiring it then discovering that it is too good to scrap, hence project number three infront of the house !!

I've looked over it and unfortunately it is rotten, chassis legs are gone, rad supports are gone, it's a shame really it would have been a lovely car.

Mantaman, it's a model making paint called alclad II, you apply it over a gloss black base. It's a bit tricky, but it seems to be pretty reflective and has held up quite well so far. It is a little darker looking than the normal metallised chrome plating from the factory though. I'll upload some more pics of the process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...