'78 1.9SR Auto Coupe - test drive - few issues?

Berlinetta

I took my '78 1.9SR Auto Coupe out of it's 'winter hibernation' yesterday - to 'stretch it legs'. I went for a c.30 min round trip up the motorway and back. All was going well until - while entering a roundabout - the car cut out! ...and an artic truck started entering from my right! Thankfully the truck was going slow so there was no real issue. I didnt brake and the car had enough momentum to coast to the hatch markings on the other side of the roundabout. I let traffic go by and the Manta then started no problem. It has never cut out like this before?! Any ideas why this happened guys?

The car also has a fast idle speed when warmed up. Is an auto box Manta supposed to run faster than a manual?

Another related question, does the Manta have a 'rubberised' steering joint? (An Opel mechanic mentioned to me some time ago that Kadett's have this joint and should be checked / renewed as a priority...as if it fails the driver will loose all steering capability?!)

Manta - cover.jpg

Yep coming of the M4 at Bristol in September last year, car then wouldn't idle at all the rbouts & junctions all the way home.

I also sprayed a load of carb cleaner in the carb & unsnscrewed & blew out the idle jet.

Cut back the vac hose where the jubilee clips were & remade off & problem was solved.

My idle is set slightly higher than a manual Manta as this helps to prevent a stall when I put it into Drive & the engine is still not fully warm.

20130615_101007.thumb.jpg.3db797af8f68ad

Will check out the vacuum hose next time I have the car cover off. My car idles nicely when cold, but increases it's idle speed when warmed up?!

Btw, should the Manta have a (one way) fuel filter located somewhere near the carb?

Mine doesnt.....and I'm wondering if 'fuel fall back' is the reason for it's difficult cold starting?!

Edited by Berlinetta

On 1/13/2016 at 0:28 PM, Rapierdave said:

Yep coming of the M4 at Bristol in September last year, car then wouldn't idle at all the rbouts & junctions all the way home.

I also sprayed a load of carb cleaner in the carb & unsnscrewed & blew out the idle jet.

Cut back the vac hose where the jubilee clips were & remade off & problem was solved.

My idle is set slightly higher than a manual Manta as this helps to prevent a stall when I put it into Drive & the engine is still not fully warm.

20130615_101007.thumb.jpg.3db797af8f68ad

What do you find to be the correct idling speed for the automatic box? btw

I find about 950 RPM on idle in Neutral seems to be ok for my car, seems to drop to around 850 RPM then when I put it into drive.

Its a bit more temperamental when cold & whilst warming up & will occasionally stall when I am reversing it out of the garage whilst the engine is still warming up.

I've got the Zenith twin choke carb on mine which I believe is bit better than the GM Varijet 2 carb which replaced it on later Mantas & Cavs 

10 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

I find about 950 RPM on idle in Neutral seems to be ok for my car, seems to drop to around 850 RPM then when I put it into drive.

Its a bit more temperamental when cold & whilst warming up & will occasionally stall when I am reversing it out of the garage whilst the engine is still warming up.

I've got the Zenith twin choke carb on mine which I believe is bit better than the GM Varijet 2 carb which replaced it on later Mantas & Cavs 

Aye! I have the same carb as you, and my idling revs are around the same as you have, excellent really, should be though the car is a genuine 69,000, no sign of the tappets playing any tunes either, well not yet, not bad for a 1977 Cav., I change oil and filter every 2,000 miles. so that's about once a year.

Edited by Julian