Classicscrap

Hi, my name is Brian, and I just wanted to say hello as I've just joined the club. Over the years I have owned 2 Cavalier Sportshatches (plus 2 bought for spares), a Cavalier Coupe and a Manta 1.8. All of these were when the cars were worth next to nothing and were probably scrapped years ago. In November I saw a Cavalier Sportshatch on Ebay which was almost identical to the one I had when I was 18 (pictured below). I kept looking at it as the auction ran and kept telling myself that I didn't need it / couldn't afford it. In the last five minutes of the auction I faltered and put in a bid at the very last minute. I told myself that, if I was outbid then it was too late to do anything about it. Luckily I won the auction and then worried about how I was going to afford it. I managed to sell my Dolomite Sprint quite quickly and had enough for the Cav plus some left over. The car was in Northern Ireland and the owner arranged transportation, so it was a bit of a gamble, but eventually it turned up a few weeks later. The car is in fantastic condition, with just a little surface rust on the battery tray. Everything else is rust free and the interior condition suggests that the recorded 29,000 miles is genuine. As it has been off the road for 10 years, there were a few minor issues to sort out before it would run right. I have given the car a full service and replaced the leaking heater matrix, and the car passed the MOT first time. I am planning to keep the car completely standard as they seem to be extremely rare now. 

Brian

2015-12-20 12.15.57 sm.jpg

2015-12-20 12.16.08 sm.jpg

2015-12-20 12.15.48 sm.jpg

2015-11-25 08.48.40 sm.jpg

2015-12-31 20.24.23 sm.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the club Brian

Great looking Cavvy Sportshatch you have there & as you say they are becoming very rare now, nice to see you are going to keep it standard.

I've got a couple of club meets lined up for Chippenham on Sunday 5th June & Castle Combe race circuit on Saturday 25th June, both events are about 75 miles from where you live so if you would like to join us your welcome.

Hi Brian, welcome to our world !

You have found a nice Cav there and being near identical to the one from your youth, looks like you've found the perfect car for you !

( or has this Cavalier found you? Cavaliers have an un-nerving habit of finding the right owner, The oldest one turning up on Cavalier and Chevette chairmans doorstep before he knew its history, the oldest MK 3 being bought by a friend as a daily driver before knowing its provinence, The MK 3 That found Sutty in Staffordshire, just one reg number different to his old one )

You'll have to join us at our annual rally this summer, 16th & 17th July, Billing Aquadrome near Northampton, anyone with any sort of interest in Vauxhalls / Opels / Bedfords must not miss this event ( the best way to enjoy this weekend is arrive friday morning at the latest, get fully into the spirit and see if you can sober up enough to get home sunday evening ! )

Thanks for the welcoming comments. I'll try to come to Billing although probably not for the whole weekend. The last time I went there was about 15 years ago when I had a Victor FD. Will certainly try to get to some of the other shows as well.

I know what you mean about a car finding it's owner. I had been mulling over the blue Sportshatch that was for sale for months on Car and Classic. I was almost ready to phone up about it when the advert disappeared, I presume because it was sold. That's when mine was listed. It must have been fate.

• Like 1

Oooh! I like the Viva,  and welcome I'm a relative newby too and this is a very informative and welcoming place.

(Just don't mention the Blue Oval, it causes much hurrumphing and spluttering in the gin and tweeds lounge :D)

Now you've gone and done it, hopefully the pics will act as a distraction........

I do concede the GM products are technically superior to Henry's stuff. Back in the day I had a Bedford Beagle (stage 3), a 1256 HC estate, and taught my wife to drive in a Mk1 Cav 1256 2dr, such an easy gearbox, an A bodied Senator (would have another but the Manta came up). When I was a kid my old man had a 3.3 PB Velox, Magnum Coupe, and a FE VX4/90 4spd with o/d, the throw on the gearbox was so long it needed two post codes. I would also have a Mk2 Cav SRI saloon in an instant, shocking in the wet but what a hoot to drive.