modern engine swap

kikobot

Hello, i own a 69 rekord c fastback, i know its not a manta but this is the only site where i found discussions about swapping modern engine in an old opel, so i apologize

I would like to get informations about swapping an x20xev from opel omega b 1996 in my rekord c, i think its the same thing that doing this swap in a manta A ?

My first question is, what about electronic? sensors, ecu etc ?

Hello.

Don't know about the X20XEV, but I would have throght it would be very similar to the X20XE. As long as you get the ECU, engine loom ect. then they are quite easy to drop in.

I have just fitted an X25XE into an A series and there are only 6 wires that need to be conected into the car loom, and I would think that the X20Xe will be the same.

Thanks for your answers :)

I am actually searching for a complete omega B as a donor, i will have the engine gearbox and loom, ecu and transponder and chip!

I would like to know if there i a way to bypass immo before uninstalling the engine from the omega, just to have a more "simple" wiring loom when i drop it into the rekord

ps: on french sites, everybody tells me to find a c20ne because i will have problems with a x20xev swap, whats your opinion?

Thx

With the X20XEV you will have to seal up the EGR system on the back of the head unless you have enough clearance to the bulkhead.

The immobilizer cant be easily bypassed but you could just mount the unit behind the dash and glue the transponder from the key onto it so it gets a signal constantly.

I have just fitted a z20leh engine which is the turbocharged version of the X20XEV but iv ran it on aftermarket management, Depending on the age of the X20XEV you will need a new oil pickup pipe as it has a different oil pump, unless of course you can use the original sump as us manta folks have to use the winged sump due to the subframe clearance.

If you can use the original sump your winning as thats half the battle, gearbox wise you will have to use a Getrag 240 from a Manta 1.8 or an Omega r25-26 box with the necessary modifications, mainly a hydraulic clutch conversion.

Its a pretty big undertaking but well worth the effort.

Hello, i am back from the workshop where my rekord is "sleeping", and after a long look at the car, it seems that there are 2 big issues:

There isnt much room to set up a master clutch cylinder ( as the clutch on omega B is hydraulic and rekord is by "cable") and the pan oil assy on omega B is made of alloy and it is hard to modify

Do you have ideas about these 2 points?

Can i use a sump from another engine, made of STEEL, that fit on x20xev engine block?

PS: thank for the UPK thread ;)

On your clutch you say that the not much room in the engine bay????.

If that is the case can you use a remout reserve,Clylinder on it owen and a pipe from the clylinder to the reserve. (same on a motor cycles)

lf you can look at a Nissan Qashqia clutch master clylinder set up you will see what l mean 

You can use a sump from a cavalier fitted with the 1.8 or 2.0 8 valve engines. Early ones are steel.

But does your donor engine have the balance shafts fitted or not?

You don't need them but there is a little work needed to remove them 

15 hours ago, mantamike said:

You can also use an older R25 gearbox from an omega A with a c20ne engine, which have a cable operated clutch lever. And I think those older omega engines have steel sumps which correct me if I'm wrong should fit an x20xev.

I'm not certain if they do or not but yes any early Vauxhall fitted with a 20NE, C20NE, 20SE, 20SEH. 18SV, 18S, 18E, 18SE, C18NZ which have a steel sump will fit the X20XEV.

thx, for the clutch master cylinder i see what you mean !

For the sump, are you sure a 20ne steel sump  and others engines of that period will fit with a x20xev block ?

But what do you mean by "balance shafts fitted ", sorry i am french :)

PS: i have two donors options: an opel omega a 1989 with a c20ne 120 000 KMS OR an opel  omega b 1996 with ecotec 131 000 KMS, both are close to my town and about 600 euros

I am looking for reliability and fuel economy as its for a daily driver

Edited by kikobot

2 hours ago, kikobot said:

thx, for the clutch master cylinder i see what you mean !

For the sump, are you sure a 20ne steel sump  and others engines of that period will fit with a x20xev block ?

But what do you mean by "balance shafts fitted ", sorry i am french :)

PS: i have two donors options: an opel omega a 1989 with a c20ne 120 000 KMS OR an opel  omega b 1996 with ecotec 131 000 KMS, both are close to my town and about 600 euros

The X20XEV is the one to go for

I don't know how else to describe the balance shafts. I will have to get a picture.

The C20NE and X20XEV have essentially the same engine blocks. 

Balance shafts can be seen in my thread I posted before. They in the sump pan below the crank. Instructions to remove are included in the thread. 

Balance shafts can be seen in my thread I posted before. They in the sump pan below the crank. Instructions to remove are included in the thread. 

cameradownload015.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kikobot said:

The C20NE would be simpler to fit, the injection system and wiring loom are are only one generation later than the Manta GSi, so would be easier to understand and maintain, This engine can have a Manta 1.8L sump and gearbox bolted to it.

I have a Carlton 2.0L estate ( Omega A Touring ) and that will do 13km per litre, the Touring version is a heavy car, the Manta is much lighter so should have even better fuel consumption figures.

6 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

The C20NE would be simpler to fit, the injection system and wiring loom are are only one generation later than the Manta GSi, so would be easier to understand and maintain, This engine can have a Manta 1.8L sump and gearbox bolted to it.

I have a Carlton 2.0L estate ( Omega A Touring ) and that will do 13km per litre, the Touring version is a heavy car, the Manta is much lighter so should have even better fuel consumption figures.

They are just as easy to fit. But with the x20xev you get better power and torque delivery, better fuel economy all for the sake off a few extra wires.

Why are people so scared of an immobiliser ?

Thanks for the picture, i understand , if the donor have balanced shaft , it will not fit with the rekord crossmember, even if i modify the sump

Am i right?

How can i know if donor have balanced shaft, the donor i found is year 1996, is it year dependant?

upk, the link for your thread doesnt work for , it says:

Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it.

ok , the "web member" is enough to get the informations i need for my swap?

Because i dont plan to come to uk this year even if i would like to buy parts for my "classic minis" and go to a drum and bass party as when i was younger ;)

Edited by kikobot
  • Like 1

Hey Kikobot yes web member is fine, i use that from Australia ;)

Wayne thats a remote Brake master on the firewall and remote brake booster under my front guard the cars auto, but yes the principal is the same and it does help in tight spaces ;)

What are you doing for a brake booster?

Will it clear ok?