Manta Coupe resto no.2

biffy1984

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 12:21, Snowy said:

I like your idea of using tabs to bolt on your nose cone on the inner wings. But when I did it I replaced each spot weld with a fastener to try and achieve the same strength as the welded joint. I'm not sure three tabs will really work.

You'll have to let me know as I will be bolting the new nose cone I have onto my cavalier coupe. What you've done is a lot easier.

Thanks

Snowy, just to let you know, the 3 tabs holding the front panel seem to be perfectly adequate. I also put a thin bead of tiger seal between the mating faces.

If you look in my engine bay you'll see I have the servo/master cylinder bolted through the front panel too so the foot brake is shoving against the front panel every time you push it and there's no flex in that front panel at all.....

• 1 year later...

Small update since my last post, sold the bbs reps and got my new Revolutions on, along with a window louvre, love the revo’s but still not sure about the louvre:huh:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Just fitted some old shit of tyres I had lying about before I decided what size to settle for so had to smoke them off:lol:

Can’t wait till summer:thumbup

• Like 7

Is that your mile long 11 in the last pic? Animal! :lol: 

Seriously stunning scenery, very nice car all round, respect sir! Think your right about the louver, just doesnt suit your car, your gonna have to donaye it to me, it will look much better on mine!  Where the hell did you find it, been looking one for ages? 

You got your splitter sorted too! Is it a kamai or something? 

If you get bored of the white revos, think they take well to polished edges and black or body coloured centres, hides the brake dust. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Is that your mile long 11 in the last pic? Animal! :lol: 

Seriously stunning scenery, very nice car all round, respect sir! Think your right about the louver, just doesnt suit your car, your gonna have to donaye it to me, it will look much better on mine!  Where the hell did you find it, been looking one for ages? 

You got your splitter sorted too! Is it a kamai or something? 

If you get bored of the white revos, think they take well to polished edges and black or body coloured centres, hides the brake dust. 

Thanks mate, yeah we'd been at it for a bit :lol: I got the louvre off German eBay a few years back and just couldn't decide whether or not to put it on.

It's just a Laguna splitter so common as muck, I was after a Mantzel one but I fear I'd have it destroyed in no time as there's little enough ground clearance as it is but at least it's flexible so can bend every time it scrubs:rolleyes:

I did look at the Revolutions with black centres and polished lips when I was ordering these but they don't do them in 9 inch so went for the white ones which I think suit it well:thumbup

That car looks great, nice colour and the red logo's go perfect with it.

A pair of painted Engelmann's would also look nice...

Gonna show these pics to the missus, she wants to visit GB again after our trip to Castle Combe last year. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Biffy, when you get chance can you photo how the louver is attached, need to find one of these, just something different! And more photos of the car too! Looks the bizz! 

I don't have the fixings for the louvre so I just have it on with 3m double sided tape, not the best but does the job...

Yeh, always thought em 70 or 80 mph, large piece of plastic, how the hell are they ment to be attached, saying manta has only a rubber seal spreader! Any photos would be great. 

Any idea what the original fixing looks like, or where it connects, could be the ball breaker, not buying one if it guaranteed to take flight, 

As for double sided tape, have you got any motorways?? 

Did you get your front bump stops sorted, think i have 60mm lowering springs all round, with avo adjustables and shortened bump stop cone, used 2inch steel pipe to strenghten, flat cap and rubber replaced. 

Do you have a quaife plated diff, what do you recon? Good job?

Whats the grey sealant did you use when bonding vents into bonnet? Tigerseal?

Has to be one of my favourite mantas on here, enjoy!

Edited by ®evo03

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2018 at 20:33, ®evo03 said:

Yeh, always thought em 70 or 80 mph, large piece of plastic, how the hell are they ment to be attached, saying manta has only a rubber seal spreader! Any photos would be great. 

Any idea what the original fixing looks like, or where it connects, could be the ball breaker, not buying one if it guaranteed to take flight, 

As for double sided tape, have you got any motorways?? 

Did you get your front bump stops sorted, think i have 60mm lowering springs all round, with avo adjustables and shortened bump stop cone, used 2inch steel pipe to strenghten, flat cap and rubber replaced. 

Do you have a quaife plated diff, what do you recon? Good job?

Whats the grey sealant did you use when bonding vents into bonnet? Tigerseal?

Has to be one of my favourite mantas on here, enjoy!

The original attachment for the louvre is a poxy steel rod down the middle so mounted on a small interior mirror sized pad top and bottom and 2 small half turn plastic screws in each bottom corner onto even smaller pads stuck to the glass. I didn't trust the original fixings so double sided tape full length top and down both sides is imho a far better fix. I've taken the louvre off now anyway as I've decided I don't like it this week:lol: there was a cheap louvre on eBay.de last time I looked....

Just did the same as you with the bumpstops, cut the cone short, piece of pipe and welded the ends shut with a hole up the middle for holding the rubber.

I have a quaife atb diff, gear type. Personally I don't like it, it's very unpredictable in the wet and once it goes you struggle to get it back! It's good for doughnuts and burnouts but that's about it!!

I glued the vents in with gorilla glue first then used some plastic bumper filler to smooth them into the bonnet, I thought it would flex a little more than normal body filler. So now 2 years on you can see a line where I cut the steel which couldn't be seen before but can't really expect anything else as filler is always liable to shrink a bit, especially with the heat off the engine. Still miles better than a fibreglass bonnet:thumbup

Good stuff, ever think of selling the louver give me a shout, 

And thanks for the lsd info, yeh most people dont like the geared type, was gonna fit a volvo 740 axle, complete with volvo turbo alloys, would even fit the engine too, but most volvo lsd are geared too, and the proper plated lsd are harder to find now, even prices are getting steep! 

Yeh, bonnet is food for thought, agree with fiberglass, but they do take some battering, with lifting at motorway speeds etc. 

Have a fg bonnet needs replaced in the future, was thinking of a hybrid, metal internal frame with fiberglass over, once bonded, metal should strengthen it,  then it needs about 100 hours to get it into looking half decent:D

Cheers man