1985 Hatch in Cornwall

This Hatch was up for sale privately last year at £6995 now its with a dealer at £5995

Good pictures in the Advert,

Top money for a hatch, worth a look but a long way to drive for a lot of people

http://www.stevehallcars.co.uk/?s=~&status=163&tfseekfid=main_search&tfseekpage=2

Edited by Rapierdave
  • Like 1

It was £4,000 the last time it was on eBay. Being a dealer, he wouldn't have paid anywhere near that. Nice car, but aren't the white dials from a slightly later model? Cars with the "recaro" daytona check seats had the older orange needle clocks. Not that a plus 100,000 mileage should be a concern for being genuine. The engine bay design is nice, the hidden wiring especially.

• Like 1

Don't ever remember it being on ebay for £4000, here is the thread from when it was up for sale last year

http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/38382-white-1985-gte-hatch-â£8750/

General consensus from the original ad in May 2015 was that it was worth around £4500  tops.

Have you a link to when it was on ebay for £4000 ?

Dealer would have paid around £3000 to £4000 for it I reckon

If I was in the market for a good hatch then I would consider buying it

danny's ex jack hatch went for £3750 maybe less and that was not far off this one condition wise,albeit not as clean underside but solid, this one is almost show standard but that's where the different values come into play.Its actually cleaner underside than the 10.5k coupe on ebay atm (formerly 14k)

So in my summary the best one for the money has already sold.:blink:

Agree, this truely mint hatch has to be worth alot more than other recent hatch sales, and no visable signs of welding anywhere, seems most people dont mind buying mantas thats had the life welded out of them, just dont understand that! Mint to me means unwelded, and not needing welded.

Im not putting anyones sales, or cars down,  but Id rather buy something thats mint, for only a few hundred extra. Which in my eyes makes it a far better car, and will be an investment. And if a truely mint hatch is worth 5.5k with high mileage, a similar coupe must be worth 7.5k plus. 

Thats the base line. Below average  low mileage motors, will only rise in value, and keep rising. Any unwelded car can be made look like this mint hatch, its only time, paint and effort. But you cant delete high mileage,

Thats the way mantas values are going fokes, up and up!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brady said:

Agree, this truely mint hatch has to be worth alot more than other recent hatch sales, and no visable signs of welding anywhere, seems most people dont mind buying mantas thats had the life welded out of them, just dont understand that! Mint to me means unwelded, and not needing welded.

Im not putting anyones sales, or cars down,  but Id rather buy something thats mint, for only a few hundred extra. Which in my eyes makes it a far better car, and will be an investment. And if a truely mint hatch is worth 5.5k with high mileage, a similar coupe must be worth 7.5k plus. 

Thats the base line. Below average  low mileage motors, will only rise in value, and keep rising. Any unwelded car can be made look like this mint hatch, its only time, paint and effort. But you cant delete high mileage,

Thats the way mantas values are going fokes, up and up!

If you expand the shot of the underside front chassis legs and jacking points there are signs of welding ;) I'm just a picky git :P Lovely car and worth every penny :)

• Like 1

The original thread details some of the resto carried out & I believe looking at the pics & the description from May 2015 it was probably restored to a high standard.

I would seriously consider buying this car as an investment because I reckon in 2 years time it would have gone up by 20% at least, you wouldn't get any where near that return in an ISA & you get to have fun & drive it about.

I'm working down in Cornwall next month if its still up for sale I might pop in for a look

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

The original thread details some of the resto carried out & I believe looking at the pics & the description from May 2015 it was probably restored to a high standard.

I would seriously consider buying this car as an investment because I reckon in 2 years time it would have gone up by 20% at least, you wouldn't get any where near that return in an ISA & you get to have fun & drive it about.

I'm working down in Cornwall next month if its still up for sale I might pop in for a look

have you told the breadknife mate,or is it a secret mission:lol:

Edited by evo3000

Haven't got the eBay link unfortunately, but it's probably on a thread here somewhere. It started at £6k mind and then dropped each subsequent relist to the £4k mark, it may have been £4250 perhaps. Can't forget the car itself with those odd headrests and 'show' towbar, before you even get to the painted underside and wire tidy engine, definately the same car. 

Edited by Rick-Manta

• 1 month later...

Ok an update

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-GTE-/262330051068?hash=item3d1416e9fc:g:1RMAAOSwu1VW4n9q

I went to see this Hatch in Cornwall yesterday with a view to purchasing it, I had offered £4900 which the seller accepted. The car has a short MOT (June) but I was assured it should go through the MOT as the car has only done 300 odd miles last year & has been in storage for at least six months.

I did not in the end buy it & I will explain why.

£4900 is top price for a hatch with a short mot on a private sale IMHO & for that price the car has to have virtually no known faults.

Unfortunately as I looked closely at the car which was subject to a restoration during 2012/13 I noticed about 4 or 5 spider rust marks under the paint on the roof, there was also a similar spider rust mark on the c pillar/rear wing on the nearside.

I then noticed brown staining on the nearside side skirt & on closer inspection found rust bubbles at the lower front of the passenger door, when I inspected the drivers door it had similar rust bubbles.

On checking the spare tyre I found it was very badly aged cracked & illegal so would need to be replaced also the Sportex exhaust fitted was leaking badly at the joint between the middle & back box with lots of old exhaust paste smeared around the u-clamp/joint.

So I didn't proceed with buying the car.

The seller Ron is a nice guy who spent a lot of time & money restoring the car 2-3 years ago, however there has been some deterioration of the paint now.

In conclusion if Ron gets what he wants for the car then that's good for him but as a buyer & yes a fairly fussy one I believe that his advertised asking price of £5495 is to high considering the car has some faults to rectify.

To be fair Ron did offer to knock another £100 of the sale to £4800 in view of the faults but I felt that because of my lack of body repair/painting skills I should walk away & look again.

Anyone got a nice Hatch coming up for sale 1.8 maybe ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I eventually purchased this one at a negotiated price from Ron, he was great, very honest and up front about the issues you spotted, got a lot of the issues you mentioned sorted out for me before I viewed it and did a proper job with regular photos sent to back it up, no filler.

I replaced all 5 tyres with new Continentals. I had it seriously checked over by a mechanic friend on ramps and a couple of body shops checked it over too.

Sorted out one or two extra minor bits myself, raised the suspension to only 30mm lowered AVO springs/damping all round, sorted the Recaro interior with pro coach fitter, replaced brakes and fuel hoses/lines, gbox rear oil seal, plus a new exhaust manifold gasket. Exhaust fine now.

Yes, a lot of cash to buy and spend since to get it the way I want it but... a very nice car indeed, been after a white hatch for a long time and been checking many listings to find the right one for me. It will be well looked after and hopefully keep its value. Came with a full MOT, service, detailed photos of restoration and a lot of good spares. Rear panel will want doing next year so looking at one from Dr Manta...suppose you gotta keep ontop of these things continually. I believe in the right car for each of us is different, I love this one.

Will hopefully bring it to Billing this year and meet a few of you, was in the club back in late 80s with my first white A reg hatch. Looking forward to being part of the Manta world again. Toyota Supras were nice...but no Manta.

• Like 1

Hi Ian

I am glad its gone to a good home, it was a nice car that had some faults when I viewed it & to be fair to Ron I don't think he realized that some of the faults had occurred whilst the car was in storage.

He did say to me that he was going to sort out the paint issues & put a new MOT on it before putting it back up for sale.

Looking forward to seeing you & the car at Billing