GTE Coupe 1984

TheRealExile

Manta arrives home last night and put under a temporary cover for the night... last stuff taking up Manta space in the garage has been dropped off at the charity shop ten mins ago!

Looks a bit sorry for itself with the front wings and bumper off for shipping but gathering bits currently and first task might as well be rot proofing swan necks etc.

What works best..I'd normally put some rust killer on and then bitumen...maybe Waxoil?

Cheers

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Just to stop it getting worse treat any rust you can see with a quality rust converter. I use Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 on my restorations. Then paint with a very high zinc primer. I use Electrox.

If you are doing a full restoration don't chassis wax or use any silicon product before it's fully painted as it will run out onto the paint or spoil the finish.

Waxoil is rubbish, check out the practical classics year on year reports. Noxudol comes out best.

• Like 1

I'll have a proper look over the weekend, minor surface rust I could see was where the wings are off right at the top right hand corner... I'll get some proper pics up soon. If it needs doing I want to do it right, like you say no point just hiding it now and having to do it later.

Sills all seem good other than where they meet the rear quarters, I could patch there.... but should I go for new sills as the panels are not that expensive?

Main area of concern other than all the rusty pipes that need sorting :rolleyes: are those butchered arches and rear quarters. 

I could possibly cut the butchered arches back and fit a replacement arch panel both sides but it still leaves the what looks like drill holes perhaps where they have tried to pull panel damage out of the rear quarters. hmmmm

Looks quite good except for those quarters. You'll have fun with them, just don't cut anything out till you know how you're going to repair it.

To be honest, unless the pictures make it look worse than it is, I'd be looking for a new rear quarter on the passenger side. But I am looking at these pictures on a phone.

10 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Sills all seem good other than where they meet the rear quarters, I could patch there.... but should I go for new sills as the panels are not that expensive?

At the rear end of the sills it has three layers, the centre layer can corrode away inside the side the sill, if you are confident about replacing a sill and can obtain them easily/cheaply then it would be worth considering going to this extent with the repairs.

10 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

all the rusty pipes that need sorting 

They are not too much trouble, you can buy appropiate diameter non-ferrous pipe in a big coil, a day with a pipe bending tool will cure this problem.

You have got work ahead with that rear quarter and the arches, but unlike most old Mantas you haven't got to rebuild the front floors / chassie rails, sunroof, battery tray and various other parts that normally disolve on a Manta, in Manta restoration terms it looks like falling into the easy catergory.

• Like 1

If I'm totally honest I'm a little daunted by the rear quarters but I'll start on the easy bits and build up momentum...need to practice welding on some scrap first methinks before attempting the sills, just realised it was 1998 the last time I actually welded anything myself on a car :unsure: (year my eldest was born)  since then the ex company motors I get to tart up every so often usually have a few faults and need a bit of scratch and scrape removal. Still need to get it in the garage before anything else on my own (probably) so need to get me a battery and hope I can get it going.  

10 hours ago, robah said:

If it's the one in your signature it looks great, I like those wheels :thumbup I deffo have a good base here....really pleased with the underneath Davo totally true to his word :D

• Like 1

I was trying to keep original ideally, I think I'll have a bash at them first and see how good I can get them. But it's an option for sure if they can still be found... I think I can sort the arches with a lot of fettling it's more the rear of the panel near the lights on one side that is concerning me as it's a bit of a mess.

• Like 1

Looks like better than usual base to start from! Quarters look like a bit of hard work, i would order repair panels from retropower and mark out how much of the quarters will be cured by them. They may take care of all damage bar a few dents and holes on the passangers side. Did your manta have a aftermarket kit that extended to the doors or something?  Good base, eitherway, enjoy your hard work with restoration

Good to see you've finally got your manta mate:thumbup

Remember to ask fellow club members for any parts you may need first,as it should help keep your rebuild costs down.

14 hours ago, brady said:

Did your manta have a aftermarket kit that extended to the doors or something? 

going by the ebay pics it had a mantzel evolution kit fitted at one stage mate,still on the subject of kits the i240 kit rarely comes up for sale as a used item,but you can still get them new from rallytech,the downside is it will cost you £1000 plus for the complete kit,the upside is the quality of kit is 2nd to none.B)

Edited by evo3000
  • Like 1

Pic of Manta now in the gargage, added a few more of the rear quarters.... the passenger side seems pretty bent in compared to the drivers side...I'm not sure I'll be able to get that crease out near the lights though, any advice appreciated! although it is looking like a rear quarter plus a bit of pulling on that side. 

other side, not as bad

• 1 month later...

Been busy gathering bits, Got a nice set of GTE seats and doorcards from Snowy, Passenger rear quarter from Mantaman in the pics. Was a pleasure to meet both have a chat and took some good advice on board. Thanks to both :D

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

It's all coming together! took a trip to Reading yesterday! Massive thanks to Nick for the Jetex Exhaust and Paul for the 2 section rear quarter panel and to John for giving up his time to arrange collection from him, some really good people on this forum :D

Got all the major bits now and can't wait to get moving with things.

Not unwrapped them

yet but giddy as a goat so had to share the news!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Manta on the move again, Bigger garage now so I can actually get to work on it finally :D oh and the cat picture was from move in day, She's an old moggie who decided one day that she was moving in( think She was the old lady's cat who passed on from over the road) so we brought her with us.... you guessed it she climbed up alright but couldn't get back down :rolleyes:

• Like 3