GTE Coupe 1984

TheRealExile

On 18/01/2017 at 15:20, TheRealExile said:

It's all coming together! took a trip to Reading yesterday! Massive thanks to Nick for the Jetex Exhaust and Paul for the 2 section rear quarter panel and to John for giving up his time to arrange collection from him, some really good people on this forum :D

Got all the major bits now and can't wait to get moving with things.

Not unwrapped them yet but giddy as a goat so had to share the news!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Hope your Jetex exhaust is better than mine. It was packed poorly. On opening it the bits must have been banging against each other. It was full off dents and lots of finish smashed off. I had a long drive to take back and check my replacement exhaust was good. 

• 6 months later...

Blimey over 4 years since I picked up the exhaust and its STILL in its box 😳 

If I get the car running that might motivate me to make the time for the rest. I feel almost bad not handing it to someone who could work on it right away but with prices going the way they are I doubt I would ever afford to get another. 

Has anyone got a shot of where all the coil wires should go?

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Blimey over 4 years since I picked up the exhaust and its STILL in its box 😳 

If I get the car running that might motivate me to make the time for the rest. I feel almost bad not handing it to someone who could work on it right away but with prices going the way they are I doubt I would ever afford to get another. 

Has anyone got a shot of where all the coil wires should go?

You can't really go wrong with the coil. The spade goes to the spade and the post to post for the tacho. Bolt the coil to inner wing and put the earth to one of the fixing bolts. Looks like the black wire has been cut/damaged a bit of solder and heat shrink should easily cure that. 

If you need any pics I'll be in the garage for a couple hours soon doing a few littke bits on E45 so can post pics if needed 

• Like 1

Its easy enough for me to warp a wheel arch let alone a big panel with loads of flex in it 🙄 and the 2 piece panel has me a bit confused, can only think it overlaps rather than a join, can't see how I could get it to look right otherwise.

• Confused 1

In the body shop they used to cut out some of the damage body.Then clamp the new panel to the car, so it was a correct fit then cut the new and  damage panel ( cut though the two panels so they fit spot on) ,then you have a butt joint.You can get a gel which takes the heat away and stops the panel from distorting . Don’t know what’s it called 

• 2 months later...

Little update, got a leaflet through the door (Glossop Local Directory) there was an advert for the Glossop Vehicle Enthusiasts Club - had a look on the website and turns out there is a chap who has done quite a bit of work for various members. Had an initial chat and he's more than happy to fit the quarters and let me do the rest or help where I'm stuck, he will do final paint too.

He's coming round Weds to have a proper look, sounds promising and just what I need 🤞

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

He's been round earlier,coming back tomorrow with his hammer and Dolly to see if he can get the shape back in the arches, reckons he can plug weld the bullet holes left by the Mantzel kit, and cut out the twisted section near the rear light. Worst case he reckons is  using the replacement arch panels I have. Seems to know his stuff.

Edited by TheRealExile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Been having same issue getting tradesmen to show up at new property, at thus rate it will be 6months before it's done 🤦🏻‍♂️

Have you got a next door web ( local tradespeople) page, as l have got a excellent service from someone on there 

22 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Have you got a next door web ( local tradespeople) page, as l have got a excellent service from someone on there 

Tried all sorts mate, the good ones are just in such demand they have full books, so having to go with tier2 type trades. Whilst quality would be good, it's just getting these types to turn up !