x20xev vs c20ne BEST MPG?

kikobot

Hello, i know these engines have different "personality" ( sorry, i dont have the english word), but which one has the BEST MPG?

I mean stock engines, essentially for town !

THx

If there is a difference, is it really significative?

Edited by kikobot

I have always found the X20XEV is better on fuel than the C20NE. It makes sense as it has a much better torque curve and is a more modern design.

When I swapped a 20SEH in a Vectra A to a X20XEV I got a 6mpg increase in fuel economy. So you don't get much better than that. Everything else stayed the same even the F16cr gearbox.

THx again Snowy, if i ask this question , its because i think im gonna buy the omega A i found last week, it has only 75k miles, really well maintained ( new distribution, water pump etc), the owner is an old lady, she has all the bills to prove that and i love the idea of a low rev torqued engine like c20ne as my rekord coupe will be used for cruisin and daily drive with only few kilometers per day!

Do you think i can show my car in "your project" even if its not a Manta ? ;)

1 hour ago, kikobot said:

THx again Snowy, if i ask this question , its because i think im gonna buy the omega A i found last week, it has only 75k miles, really well maintained ( new distribution, water pump etc), the owner is an old lady, she has all the bills to prove that and i love the idea of a low rev torqued engine like c20ne as my rekord coupe will be used for cruisin and daily drive with only few kilometers per day!

Do you think i can show my car in "your project" even if its not a Manta ? ;)

The C20NE has less low down torque than the X20XEV. I love the myths that it has more torque.

It's the same work to fit both, but your choice. Less power, less torque, worse fuel economy.

Edited by Snowy

2 hours ago, kikobot said:

, it has only 75k miles, really well maintained ( new distribution, water pump etc), the owner is an old lady, she has all the bills to prove that

This Omega A is really good, i think it should be preserved, Vauxhall Carlton / Omega A is getting a rare car in the UK and i would guess in france as well, your conscience tells you to preserve this Omega A !!!

;) this omega A has met a big tree and the shell is dead !! i think i could be a saver instead of a destroyer !!

What scares me are the 136hp of the x20xev for my rekord which has brakes for 75 hp and the "sensors problems" of the x20xev, plus hydraulic clutch to fit etc

Maybe i am wrong ?

Edited by kikobot

52 minutes ago, kikobot said:

;) this omega A has met a big tree and the shell is dead !! i think i could be a saver instead of a destroyer !!

What scares me are the 136hp of the x20xev for my rekord which has brakes for 75 hp and the "sensors problems" of the x20xev, plus hydraulic clutch to fit etc

Maybe i am wrong ?

To be honest I'd be looking to upgrade your brakes no matter which engine you go for.

The hydraulic clutch is easy, or convert it to cable operation.

As for the sensors etc. The crank sensors are an issue on both engines of this age. Electronics don't last forever. 

8 hours ago, kikobot said:

this omega A has met a big tree and the shell is dead !!

This is sad, but if you use this car to upgrade your Rekord then its death will not have been a waste.

3 hours ago, kikobot said:

i didnt find any info on upgrading brakes on a 69' rekord c

If you use the Omega A as an Engine Donor you could also see if the braking system could be transfered, My guess knowing Opels, is there will not be that much diffrence at the front and the rear could possibly be altered to the Omega A Hubs & disc.

Trust me, il do my own  research but il only speak french And english And i dont find anythin for rekord c . I posted on german sites but no answers so i Still search. .. but thanks to You cause il got many great infos  on triste site ☺

On 28/02/2016 at 7:14 PM, kikobot said:

I posted on german sites but no answers so i Still search. .

Perhaps try posting on a Dutch Opel website, nearly everybody in the Netherlands speaks and types good English and they like their big old Opels as well as Mantas, more so than in the UK.

Can you show all of us a picture of your Rekord?? though its not a Manta we would all like to see it because it is a historic Opel.

18 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

Can you show all of us a picture of your Rekord?? though its not a Manta we would all like to see it because it is a historic Opel.

Of course:

178425IMG2804.jpg

622430IMG2800.jpg

911372IMG2803.jpg

604311IMG2801.jpg

319373IMG2792.jpg

114264IMG2793.jpg

204772IMG2828.jpg

486769IMG2558.jpg

839466IMG2760.jpg

and his little sister has a new paint ;)

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

Now you know i love classic " stock" cars and also modified ;)

Oh Yes, that is nice, you are doing a superb job with the restoration.

I know someone who you need to contact, my friend Simon Downs ( stonymanta on this forum ), he has restored a Commodore A, same body as your record, He also had modified Minis when he was younger, both of you have very similar interest, here is a link to the thread of the restoration of the Commodore A -

Simon Downs Commodore A