Vauxhall Cavalier Coupe 1978 - Sutton in Ashfield, Notts

With just under four days to go as i type this the bids have made £1700, this is already more than what would have been the expected sale price a few years ago for a tidy but not concours Cav Coupe, the values of Mantas & associated cars are deffinately on the up !!

Cavalier Coupe - Sutton in Ashfield Nottinghamshire - click here

A thinking mans 400 replica unfortunately, shame!

Nice original car, but why start with a car, manta shell well over twice the price, with loads of work needed, possible roof problem, etc, not the first time a very original car has been converted, wont be the last either!

Just looked again, why on why, what was wrong with windows in the 80s

$_57.JPG

Must have been all that acid rain. 

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

A thinking mans 400 replica unfortunately, shame!

If you realy wanted to go left field how about a Cavlier HSR ??  Just suspose that back in the late seventies, before Opel made the follow on from the Ascona 400,the Manta 400, Vauxhall decided not to use the Chevette as their rally weapon instead they choose the Cavalier coupe, inserted the 16valve slant four, added wide arches and turned it out in Dealer Team Vauxhall colours, it would certainly be an interesting 'what might have been' !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

If you realy wanted to go left field how about a Cavlier HSR ??  Just suspose that back in the late seventies, before Opel made the follow on from the Ascona 400,the Manta 400, Vauxhall decided not to use the Chevette as their rally weapon instead they choose the Cavalier coupe, inserted the 16valve slant four, added wide arches and turned it out in Dealer Team Vauxhall colours, it would certainly be an interesting 'what might have been' !

I got a 2.0 twin cam slant out of a jenson Healey if anyone wants to carry out Ian's idea!!!

26 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Now thats a plan! Cross breed kit, hsr/manta400. Make dtv jealous!

Shame about the roof though! What was it with the 80s, and glass sunroofs! 

Looking at this one I would not touch it,just get it back on track with the small amont of bodywork that needs doing,and keep it standard.:D

Cavs will have there day soon...:)

The aftermarket class sunroof is still better than the horrific factory steel offering,but given the choice the solid roof wins hands down.:blink:

Other than the colour ( never did like yellow cars) and the glass sunroof, it looks fairly tidy, but there again one would have to get underneath it before making any decision, It's done more mileage than my cavvy, and it's a year younger!.  I'm very curious to see what the final bid will be!

Edited by Julian

People do need to start remembering that these cars are getting old.

My concern would be more about the welding that has been done, not what hasn't. These cars have been worth very little for a long time. So most repairs, unless owned by a caring owner, will be budget.

This usually means plates welded over the rot.

You really do need to view cars of this age or accept you're buying a project with MOT on it.

An MOT does not mean this car isn't rotten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

My concern would be more about the welding that has been done, not what hasn't. These cars have been worth very little for a long time. So most repairs, unless owned by a caring owner, will be budget.

You really do need to view cars of this age or accept you're buying a project with MOT on it.

Well said snowy,i have left you positive feedback on this,....hello what the heck I'm not on ebay, tbh not to sure where I'm at anymore.

All the above translates to I was that somebody who liked your post....er well the first somebody anyway.:blink:

• Like 1

What somebody liked my post,i demand to know, can't be doing with this faceless anonymous malarkey...its just so I can put you on my christmas card list..:lol:

Edited by evo3000
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Snowy said:

I just clicked " I LIKE THIS" on your post Snowy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robah said:

You mean like this Ian?

megabertha_zps0zxucxvu.jpg

NO !!! this is a picture of the mock-up for Mega Bertha, which was going to a relacement for Baby Bertha, only this time instead of adding wide arches the car was going to be split down the middle from the scuttle and widened, the inner wings remaining in the same position, the outer front wings extra wide. The intakes inboard of the headlights show how much extra width was going to be added, the nose panel being the original width.

There was talk of someone actually trying to create this car for real from a Cavalier Coupe, a huge undertaking because this would entail a unique full spaceframe added to the shell and clothed in unique but original looking panels.

The Cavalier HSR idea involves taking a Cavalier Coupe and doing to it exactly what Vauxhall / Blydenstien did to the Chevette to make it a rally winner.

Having said all of this i think this Cavalier Coupe should stay original, they are already rarer than the contempory Manta and this would not be the near immpossible mission to make it perfect that some cars are.

The Cavalier HSR idea was just a counter arguement to the Manta 400 replica suggestion.

21 hours ago, Julian said:

I just clicked " I LIKE THIS" on your post Snowy!

I just clicked " I LIKE THIS" on your post Julian! :thumbup

18 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Would be a cheaper base for a 400r though! Original or not! Thats the new buyers choice, decision and right!

As for mega bertha, was gonna go see it in the flesh sometime! B)

It exists!:ph34r:

I never knew mega bertha existed tbh.....it looks awesome infact it looks mega...:):D:lol:

I hear what your saying about a good base for a 400r brady,its just that it would be a shame to contribute to the demise of a model just for the sake of creating yet another 400r,of which I love.:blink:

Edited by evo3000

On 13/03/2016 at 9:34 PM, ®evo03 said:

As for mega bertha, was gonna go see it in the flesh sometime! B)

It exists!:ph34r:

7 hours ago, evo3000 said:

I never knew mega bertha existed tbh.

Mega bertha was never made by Vauxhall or DTV, the picture is of the 'clay' mock-up, there was two cars that preceeded this, Big Bertha based on a Vauxhall Ventura, this car was heavy and short of brakes which resulted in it crashing, rather than repairing Big Bertha there was a re-think and Baby Bertha was created from a Vauxhall Firenza, which became one of the most famous racing cars in the UK.

The Mega Bertha project was abandond by Vauxhall for reasons which i do not remember, several years ago in conversation with someone at a car show i was told someone was attempting to create Mega Bertha from a Cavalier Coupe, i have no reason to doubt this person whoever they were but i have not seen any evidence of this project myself.

F..'kin 'ell !!

They kept that quite !!! I didn't know that Mega Bertha had actually been started by Vauxhall, i know the pictures are of a 'clay' mock-up.

Are there any plans to complete it ??  The extreemly difficult part has been done, creating the bodyshell, in particular the front & rear screen appatures, the rest is mearly very difficult !!

Dont know much about it.... except it was bought with running gear, gettin built up slowly, windscreen could be a one off, expensive, or could be very lucky and get an oversized cut down.rest would be poly

Must try and get to see it sometime, interesting to see as it bares no comparison to a cav, or manta, only in the looks department, a bit like a hotrod 205, starlet, tigra etc.

Did the yellow cav sell, or just run out off steam! Would be a great original or project base.

Most oldish rally cars here are build up from really good mint cars, no 1 they can afford to, 2, why would you not!

Maybe a cav is not wanted, they didnt rally them as cavs, might be restrictive opposed to a registered listed manta. Or maybe not.......:ph34r:

16 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Dont know much about it.... except it was bought with running gear, gettin built up slowly, windscreen could be a one off, expensive, or could be very lucky and get an oversized cut down.rest would be poly

Must try and get to see it sometime, interesting to see as it bares no comparison to a cav, or manta, only in the looks department, a bit like a hotrod 205, starlet, tigra etc.

Did the yellow cav sell, or just run out off steam! Would be a great original or project base.

Most oldish rally cars here are build up from really good mint cars, no 1 they can afford to, 2, why would you not!

Maybe a cav is not wanted, they didnt rally them as cavs, might be restrictive opposed to a registered listed manta. Or maybe not.......:ph34r:

Interesting stuff with mega bertha.

The poor old humble cav coupe will never be able to compete with the might of a 400r suppose, that's for sure.:(