KPL 196W

Jim@Sharon

We are going to keep as much original as possible but thinking of glass sunroof or webesto (what we can get away with really) and obviously the roof lining has completely gone so I will be fabricating my own (probably black and white vinyl as I already have some in the pipeline coming).

Not sure if she will be going to Billing this year but the other two we have will be there (fingers crossed).

Brian, yes please for the help with parts.  Jim and I would like to pop down and discuss ramp if possible sometime in the near future if thats ok.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

This was for sale and hung about last year at about 600 quid and I thought it couldn't be too bad as, at the time, it had a ticket on it. It has lived in the road so was a bit battle scarred but I was surprised no one had it then. Maybe cause it's a hatch pre facelift and auto? But still a great project

Glad it's found a home and, roof aside, a bit of the usual welding and some paint and you will have a nice car there.

i have a v reg silver hatch and it's a great, if slightly unloved, model.

these will have their day soon and it is great that you are saving it. Well done

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 3

She's going to be an ongoing project.

She will look good (hopefully) but not great.  

We are going to respray her eventually if all goes well.

Early plans are to weld floor and roof, repair the exhaust (she sounds like a tank at the moment) and make her road worthy.

She may make Billing this year with any luck. 

Thank you for all your support and encouragement.

7 hours ago, stradacab said:

This was for sale and hung about last year at about 600 quid and I thought it couldn't be too bad as, at the time, it had a ticket on it. It has lived in the road so was a bit battle scarred but I was surprised no one had it then. Maybe cause it's a hatch pre facelift and auto? But still a great project

Glad it's found a home and, roof aside, a bit of the usual welding and some paint and you will have a nice car there.

i have a v reg silver hatch and it's a great, if slightly unloved, model.

these will have their day soon and it is great that you are saving it. Well done

It's been in London for over twenty years and has been battered and beaten but the previous owner Charles was such a lovely fella, all he wanted was for her to go somewhere that wouldn't scrap her.  She has been parked near school gates so you can imagine how many dinks she's wearing at the moment.

• Like 3

she will make a really lovely  car , thanks for the sneak preview sharon and Jim.  it's a plus that everything  is there and complete. as we know if this was a late hatch it would just be a memory of its former  self now and just you would have swept it up in to a dustpan. must be something said for the early 80s stuff. I'm looking forward  to seeing more of kipil and thanks for the little jaunt around  the yard, noisy with the blown exhaust but I'm used to noisy exhausts lol. well done to you and Jim for saving her .

8 hours ago, gt/e paul said:

she will make a really lovely  car , thanks for the sneak preview sharon and Jim.  it's a plus that everything  is there and complete. as we know if this was a late hatch it would just be a memory of its former  self now and just you would have swept it up in to a dustpan. must be something said for the early 80s stuff. I'm looking forward  to seeing more of kipil and thanks for the little jaunt around  the yard, noisy with the blown exhaust but I'm used to noisy exhausts lol. well done to you and Jim for saving her .

I've had plenty of early and late cars and they all rot as bad as each other. I'd love to know where this myth comes from that early cars are so rust resistant.

From my experience there use, location and storage is what effects the condition.

A case in point, my 75 coupe has no chassis rails to speak of.

Edited by Snowy
Fat fingers on my phone
  • Like 1

I think that the earlier cars that were made in Germany were said to be better built than the later ones made in Belgium. Our 1979 has much thicker door skins than our 1984 model, but as you say, being looked after and well maintained makes a huge difference to the cars condition. Kipil has had a hard life in London so hopefully, she can take it a bit easier here at home. 

Also finding a good car cover is essential too. We paid a lot of money for my cover and it's paid dividends

Paul, you and Barry will be expected to get Kipil out and about when we take all three.  There are four of us so when Grace is back on the road, we will have one each lol

• Like 1

I'm breaking a hatch just like that at the moment (it's way way too far gone) with a solid no sunroof roof and complete blue and black headlining in decent condition.

its the same colour trim too 

if you're interested in any bits or the roof drop me a pm 

• 5 weeks later...
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Snowy said:

I've had plenty of early and late cars and they all rot as bad as each other. I'd love to know where this myth comes from that early cars are so rust resistant.

From my experience there use, location and storage is what effects the condition.

A case in point, my 75 coupe has no chassis rails 

I'm only speaking of information I have ever been told... I'm. no expert myself the info must be wrong! 

Edited by gt/e paul
wrong info

Just had a Clio sunroof delivered in good condition so got that sorted when we need it.

She is slowly getting stripped down so that we can have a good inspection of the body shell before We go any further.  We will be trying to fabricate our own headlining as we will probably change the exterior colouring slightly and We want the interior to match.

It's going to be a while before she's finished but she will be worth it I'm sure.