Gte exclusive coupe for sale

Shaun400r

So I've been told my coupe is only worth 2k I know I won't get my asking price but would like to get close (who wouldn't ) I paid X amount for it and have spent a bit on some mods so what I'm after is brutal honesty I'm a big boy I can take it lol   Have I devalued it with the mods ? Has the matte black killed it ? Should I throw some shiny on it I'm only wanting to sell as I need to concentrate on my 400r but can't stop driving about in it so if it was gone I would get my finger out to put the 400r back on the road   Thanks shaun

• Like 1

Hi Shaun,

I'd go with what the more experienced owners on here say rather than my two penneth and please don't take offence at this but I'd give it a good clean inside and re-take the interior shots as it will put some people off, not me but some for sure. The Matt black is a personal taste thing really, my personal pref would be to get it back shiny. But 2k sounds very low to me for a car that's had all the hard work done. If you consider I have probably spent circa 1700 quid so far inc purchase and bits and mine is still a jigsaw needing quite a lot doing then it must be worth a lot more?

I don't think the Matt black will be helping tbh. I know of a lot of cars (Mainly Vw) that have had Matt black done as a quick way to cover rough paint/rust etc...I'm not saying that's the case here of course, but I think some will feel that's the reason for it, or it's just an acquired taste/look for some as Terry says above.

Whenever I've had a car for sale someone has told me it's worth a lot less than I want for it, usually with the intimation that they'd be doing me a huge favour to buy it at the low price they say it's really worth. As others have said the paint will limit it's appeal, but a good solid Manta Exclusive would be worth more than 2k anyday I'd have thought. Obviously, I've not seen your car so can't value it properly, but if you're not desperate to sell I think you'll do a lot better than that. If you'd put it up for £2000 someone would tell you it's only worth £1000. My favourite one was someone who bid me around half what I was asking for a 2001 Mini, told me that no-one wanted red, the miles were too high, and that he was a dealer and needed to make a profit. I said that it wasn't my problem he was a dealer, if I wanted to sell it into the trade I'd auction it, and if it was the wrong colour and too many miles he wouldn't want it anyway. I sold it a week or so later for an offer near my asking price.

• Like 1

Shaun your car is easily worth more than 2K and whoever bid you that either doesn't know what they are talking about or were just trying it on to get a bargain.

The matt black paint will have reduced the prospective buyers out there as not everyone likes it, but i don't think its affected the value that much. Yes a shiney black one would be worth more because more people like them that way and would pay a bit more for it. I saw the car before it was painted and there were paint problems all over it, filler marks visible, dinks and dents all over it, orange peal and paint reactions. The Paint now is much much better as the prep work was done to remove the imperfections properly.

As Terry said above (and i've told you before) you need to take better pictures of it (after giving it a good clean) and maybe get the advert laid out better with more info in it. Seeing a dirty used car may not put you (or me) off looking at it but it will for a lot of people.

Its a good solid car, its had some welding but it looks pretty well done. Panels are all straight, everything works as it should and the upgrades i fitted for you (Audi-Astra brakes, power steering, HID lights, and Ashley 2" exhaust system) do not really detract from the car and if someone wanted they could all be removed and it returned to original.

Most coupe in this condition and price range don't sell quickly but they do sell. So you need a little patients (i know its not your strong point :P ) and you will get dreamers and time wasters but set a price in your head and don't take less than it. Its not like you have to sell it instantly as i know you enjoy driving around in it and summer is coming.

Yes you want to work on the 400 and get that on the road but you will just have to use a bit of will power and not go driving the black one all the time and head down the lockup instead now and again to get it done.

• Like 2

Cheers guys for above comments I would never sell it for 2k I don't mind breaking even or loosing a couple of quid if car goes to another manta guy or gal ,, someone on way from Scotland to have a look this afternoon sounds like a manta fan so fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Shaun your car is worth more than £2k but you need to present it better in your pics.

First give the engine bay a clean up, paint the rocker cover, paint  the top of the radiator, take the washer bottle off & clean it.

Next give the car a wash before taking pictures, cars that have mud splattered down the side in the pictures give an impression that the car is unloved.

I know the above seems fussy & what idiots like me do but trust me first impressions count when selling a car & a clean engine bay gives the impression that the cars been well looked after.

The Matt paint look is fashionable amongst the younger retro guys but they generally haven't a lot of money to spend so will want your car for peanuts.

IMHO if your car was in gloss black with a tidy looking engine bay you would easily achieve your asking price.

Not trying to be critical just trying to give you tips to achieve a sale.

• Like 1

No think he is going to join though both party's very happy he loved the matte black isn't going to Change anything well when I say both happy I didn't really want to sell but hey ho I've still got the 400r