Mike's Manta.

Mike.

Is that the 3M stuff, I thought about that for the rear Lower quarters to save the stone chips as I don’t have mud flaps. Have you used this stuff? Where can you buy it from and what size of sheets? Sounds good 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a run last night about 9pm, parked up at the Asco base at Peterhead Lido for a few photos,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

you can see the bronze glass in the second photo,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

From September there is going to be big changes for me, at the moment I am a plumbing lecturer teaching the apprentices their SVQ3 Domestic Plumbing and train them up in order for them to complete a Managed Learning Gas Portfolio then ACS Assessment. The company I work for is introducing cost cutting measures and I have opted for the voluntary redundancy option. I see this as an opportunity and I’m away to become self employed running my own Plumbing company, it’s a lot of work at the moment setting up, registering as self employed, setting up trade accounts, public liability insurance,  etc. Exciting times ahead.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 12

55 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Out for a run last night about 9pm, parked up at the Asco base at Peterhead Lido for a few photos,

you can see the bronze glass in the second photo,

From September there is going to be big changes for me, at the moment I am a plumbing lecturer teaching the apprentices their SVQ3 Domestic Plumbing and train them up in order for them to complete a Managed Learning Gas Portfolio then ACS Assessment. The company I work for is introducing cost cutting measures and I have opted for the voluntary redundancy option. I see this as an opportunity and I’m away to become self employed running my own Plumbing company, it’s a lot of work at the moment setting up, registering as self employed, setting up trade accounts, public liability insurance,  etc. Exciting times ahead.

Good for you! Changes & challenges present opportunities, if you’re as meticulous in your planning as you’ve been with the Manta I have no doubt it’s a success in the making. 

• Thanks 1

I also wish you GOOD  LUCK Mike. I have a Grandson who started his own business as  plumber three years ago, tough going to start with, mostly wit having to chase people for his money, but has got it under control now.

• Thanks 1

Out for a run on a beautiful sunny day, other people must have the same idea, 

spoke with this lad for a while,

we certainly got looks and comments in the car park,

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 21:49, Mike. said:

Is that the 3M stuff, I thought about that for the rear Lower quarters to save the stone chips as I don’t have mud flaps. Have you used this stuff? Where can you buy it from and what size of sheets? Sounds good 👍

Yep, 3M stuff. You should be able to get it on eBay or setup a trade account with these guys now you have your own business 🙂 https://www.williamsmith.co.uk/

No used the clear one but used the 3M air release vinyl before. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m out in the Manta every opportunity I can get, have any of you guys noticed that the nights are getting shorter, by 8.30pm it’s getting quite dark, took these photos just before I parked her up for the night,

For a 35 year old Manta the lights are pretty decent, but the dash binnacle lights are pretty poor, but I can put up with that,

the rear number plate light is the original bulb that came with the Manta, it really lights up the rear and the lip spoiler,

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Mike. said:

For a 35 year old Manta the lights are pretty decent, but the dash binnacle lights are pretty poor, but I can put up with that,

Mike! If you look to where the binnacle light comes from! They are front lit, 

You can pull out the two bulb holders, there are small white pieces of plastic, you can remove these pieces, brightens the clocks, or better to fit LED bulbs, think i fitted blues to one of mine, its different, gives an almost white blueish took, only thing the holders them selves are a little of centre, from memory they dont light the 4 gauges on the left, but thats opel fault.

Maybe LED strip lighting could be fitted! Never tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Mike! If you look to where the binnacle light comes from! They are front lit, 

You can pull out the two bulb holders, there are small white pieces of plastic, you can remove these pieces, brightens the clocks, or better to fit LED bulbs, think i fitted blues to one of mine, its different, gives an almost white blueish took, only thing the holders them selves are a little of centre, from memory they dont light the 4 gauges on the left, but thats opel fault.

Maybe LED strip lighting could be fitted! Never tried.

It’s the first thing I do in a Manta is remove that STUPID white filter over the bulb. Who thought that was a good idea!!!!!

Yeh white filter, think the idea was to soften the spread of light.They can be kept safe in a sealed bag, and put back in place. Originality and all that.

On a retro note, started a manta up at the weekend, when i was waiting for it to heat up, had a play with the radio, didnt want to extend the silly ariel, so was looking a tape cassette, could i find one, not a chance.

• 1 month later...
On 03/07/2019 at 21:16, Mike. said:

Both drivers and passengers door glass fitted tonight,

it took me ages to get my bearings with arms, slides, bolts, adjustments and sitting right with the rubbers every time you close the door but eventually got there in the end,

everything fell into place with the passenger side as I knew where everything went and what I was looking to achieve, was able to do it in half the time. Both doors now seal perfectly with the glass rubbers every time I  close the doors, quite happy with the results tonight.

Having a mare getting mine to seal right !!!

This is a job That can’t be rushed, trial and error with lots of patience and perseverance.

first door was time consuming, second door was easier as I knew what I was looking for and to achieve. 
I did buy new Reprotec rubber glass guides that fit on the door top to keep the glass firm and reduce wind noise. I cleaned and grease all Window winder Mechanisms for a smoother operation.

its the top window stop guides that you need to get right to get the glass to close into the rubber seals plus there is also a glass tilt adjustment to get right, definitely a case of trial and error. When you get the adjustment right you can see when you close the door the rubber seal seems to fold down over the top of the glass giving a good seal and tight fit. If you close the door slowly and on the first latch the glass looks short of the rubber, second latch and the rubber folds down and over the top of the glass.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This year I have been busy running in my Manta, listening to engine noise, watching temperature and oil pressure gauge’s, rattles, squeaks, wind noise etc and just getting to know her and how she operates after being totally stripped and re built, ironing out little issues that cropped up along the way, had to replace my heater motor with a VW Golf one, trace some little wiring and earth issues for gauges to read correctly etc, nothing major so now I’m looking to plan for next year, here you see I have been running with a blanking plate in the dash where a stereo would go next to the VDO Clock which I still need to wire up,

I have been able to source a black plastic extension for my Alpine CD Player which I purchased back in 1993 and still have it, so now it’s time to fit it back in,

I’m pleased with how it fits into the Manta dash, I know they stick out because of the heater ducting  but the black plastic extension really blends in well and tidies it all up,  

not wired up yet, speakers still to fit but that’s for another day, obviously I’ll be concealing cables as best as I can, I won’t be cutting holes for speakers on rear shelf, I have period Sony XS-700 speakers,

I have to make brackets to hold them in place as I don’t want to put holes in the rear parcel shelf,

Something to keep me busy over the winter months, 

should be good once it’s all in and working.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

A small addition to my garage today, an original 1988 Hysteria tour poster. These lads was my soundtrack of 1988 and Hysteria still my favourite album of all time. Soon as I get my CD player fitted I’ll be listening to Hysteria and Adrenalize again,

• Like 3

Who said mantas aren’t “ rock and roll “ . I was really into Marillion in the 80’s and saw them loads of times but most memorably at the ‘Monsters of Rock ’  at  Donnington.  What an experience. I’m going to have to dig out all my rock mix tapes.  Thanks for jogging some cool memories 👌

• Like 3