Mike's Manta.

Mike.

Ah, bet that space looks empty now! Can see another project on the cards, both looking good, nice pics. Its weird that they are basicially the same, although both look different, bet they both feel different.

Pics really show up wee differences, graphics, ariel, sunroof, flag on plate, its the first time ive realised simplicity, and a blank canvas  and how noticeable things are when you compare. 

• Like 1

Just got my Alpine CDA-9855R fitted this week into the Manta, a plastic dash extender was used,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

It’s front loading, just one CD at a time,

plus a handy remote control for when you are driving. I know I have went for originality with the build but haven’t opted for this with the CD player, this is what I would have done when I was 17 so why not,

I think I’m safe to say that’s my project completed now, it’s taken 5 years from start to finish, I’ll still have the ongoing maintenance, services, MOT’s etc but that smaller jobs I can take at a more leisurely pace

👍

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 8

Absolutely nothing wrong with having some decent tunes through a decent radio! I quite fancy finding a DAB for my hatchback. Because normal FM stations are a bit pants nowadays. Then I need to find some decent speakers, as the hatches have a silly size hole in the rear quarter the speakers are non existant! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Every year, Peterhead always hosts a Scottish Week, every day and evening has special events organised over the week, red arrows, bay swim, raft race, pipe bands, special discounts in shops etc, today was the vintage car show and at 2pm parade through the town centre for floats and cars,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 8

On 22/05/2021 at 09:25, ®evo03 said:

Any recommendations on speakers, without changing car. Think i got 30k mile fiat punto speakers for rear manta pods, fitted perfectly, good make too if i remember. 

I have a Kenwood KSC SW11 in my C1 so bought one for my Cavalier. It fits under the driver's seat and it fills the car with bass and takes the strain off the 4" speakers so they can do their thing. 

There's similar low profile subwoofers from Clarion and Pioneer.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A small job completed today,

I had stored in the attic good condition card sides to direct the air into the radiator, I dug these out and went about fitting them,

as you can see, these fit perfectly, note the additional non standard brackets to keep the top card from sagging, 

job done 👍

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I decided to install an oil level raiser into my 2.0E cih head,

this is it with the rocker cover off, You can see clearly the oil return hole,

I had an original oil level raiser, it’s quite a crude simple thing, just like someone has got a thin strip of metal and rolled it into a cylinder shape. I installed it easily. Did this come with the 2.0E cih engine directly from factory when new or was it an upgrade or addition later on?

when I was working in the engine bay I noticed some perishing on the rubber fuel hose leading to the blue cold start injector, my next small job over the winter will be to go through all the rubber fuel hoses and replace as required. These hoses were brand new and only 2 years old!

Edited by Mike.

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

I noticed some perishing on the rubber fuel hose leading to the blue cold start injector, my next small job over the winter will be to go through all the rubber fuel hoses and replace as required. These hoses were brand new and only 2 years old!

Back in the day, I had my local dealer replace all the rubber fuel pipes when my GTE was 4-years old after 2 split on separate occasions leaving me stranded. The one from the fuel pump split in France which was interesting! 

• 1 month later...

I have thought long and hard about the addition of mud flaps on my GT/E, Polar White paint and country roads don’t agree. I ordered a set of mud flaps and U clamp fixings as I didn’t want to drill holes and screw them on, I can always remove them and never know that they had been fitted. Now I see them on I quite like the look of them.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 9

Totally agree, as the body work on the manta tapers in at base of wheel, perfect opportunity for mud to spread itself as far as it can.  Always found standard flaps a bit narrow and too beefy, no give in them and can damage fixing point if caught, right! (Wrong).

The rally style material is tougher, softer, easily shaped. Also available in black. 

Dont mind flaps! Helps keep her clean. 

• Like 1

Still one of those small jobs I'v got to do on the GSI, they are laying in my garage eating dust... Lost once a front mud flap cause I drove backward on a kerbstone and the flap bended that far my front wheel drove on it and teared it of the wing. Happy I used those U-clamps as Mike does.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Everyone who owns a Manta knows there is always some other project to do, over the winter months I decided to refresh my Daytona Check Recaros plus I was able to source another two front seats. I purchased new Daytona Check material from Classic Car services and put my seats up to Glyns’s Upholstery in Elgin. He stripped them all completely and addressed the foam bolsters, re padded all the seats, re did all the piping, put a new Black cord bolster on the drivers base as it was beginning to split all be it very slight. The rear bench was sun bleached on top and quite baggy so the new Daytona check was fitted and the cloth tightened up, the fronts also got treated to new Daytona Check, the interior now is quite vibrant, looking at it now it certainly was a worthwhile project, I’m happy with the results,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 9

Just went into the garage tonight to fold up the original material I got back from the trimmers after he refurbished my Recaro interior, I couldn’t believe the amount of foam that came off the back of the material, just goes to show the seats were at the stage of needing recovered and the foam sorting out.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Attended How many left at Grampian Transport Museum Alford today, a good gathering of cars plus weather was great,

met up with other Opel & Vauxhall enthusiasts, Opel Commodore GS/E, Vauxhall Cavalier Coupe, MK1 Vauxhall Cavalier saloon and a MK2 Cavalier SR. 

• Like 8

Attended the Car’s n coffee event at Pitfour Chapel this morning and met up with a few Opel enthusiasts, among them was a Courtenay turbo,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 9