Mike's Manta.

Mike.

Last weekend Saturday July 9th and Sunday 10th was a busy weekend, our local group of OMOC members met up at Blast from the Past at Thainstone Inverurie where we were able to park up together, we had a Manta 400r a Berlinetta GT hatch and my Manta GT/E Coupe, the queues to get the show cars in was backed up to the roundabout early in the morning, good weather allowed a great crowd, we were the only 3 Mantas there, there was a Vauxhall Calibra, MK2 Astra GTE and a Nova GTE.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

On the Sunday I spent the day with my wife who also shares my enthusiasm for the Manta and we went for a run down to Glamis Castle classic car show near Forfar, a 200 mile round trip. We felt we would rather enjoy the beautiful sunny weather and the run in the Manta than be stuck both days in a car show not being allowed to move till roughly 4pm.

The weather here was approximately  20-22 degrees and that’s warm for this corner of the NE of Scotland, we had to laugh on the one at down, we had the sunroof open, both rear quarter windows open and both drivers and passenger windows down and the cold dash vents open doing 70mph on the duel carriageway and still we were cooking inside, I kept a close eye on the Manta’s dash clocks and everything was spot on, that’s the hottest day yet driving the manta up here on a decent journey. For once a convertible up here would have been great.

we parked up as visitors on the Glamis castle estate grounds, it was a field used for parking and I was wary of parking there for rough ground and long grass, not knowing if I had clearance for the front bumper and side skirts, she did look low in the long grass, we just took our time parking, all was good.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The Glamis Castle vintage rally was huge, the largest one I’ve ever attended, we had a lovely afternoon browsing through all the different motors, stalls and auto jumble, met up with people we knew and had a nice chat. For the size of the show there was not one Manta there, the only one was my one in the car park. 

We are looking as a club to organise a few Manta’s there next year.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 6

Brodie castle vintage rally next weekend then up to Orkney vintage rally and a ferry crossing early August, fingers crossed for good weather 🤞

I built the Manta to use as much as possible in the spring/summer months, I like to get out and about with it.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 6

I’ve just fitted a new rocker cover, the one I had originally I got media blasted and power coated which I thought would keep it looking nice for years to come but the heat of the oil when hot has blistered the powder coating making it look rough, so time for an upgrade,

I think the polished rocker cover looks well in the engine bay,

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Mike. said:

I’ve just fitted a new rocker cover, the one I had originally I got media blasted and power coated which I thought would keep it looking nice for years to come but the heat of the oil when hot has blistered the powder coating making it look rough, so time for an upgrade,

I think the polished rocker cover looks well in the engine bay,

Yeah, it suits the white indeed. Very tidy in there too. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Packed the Manta, as usual the wife had to review how much she was taking, but the boot was still packed full, I packed lightly, but I have taken spares just in case, replacement fuel pump, coil, ECU, air flow meter, tools, clips etc, when I start thinking about it, maybe it’s me that’s packing a lot,

The manta was sitting a lot lower than usual,

we motored up from Peterhead along the coast road, up through Elgin, Inverness, had a stop at Dunbeath for a Coffee, 

we had loads of time so while up in the North of Scotland we took a look in past John O Groats, 

Orkney only 8 miles across the North Sea,

We boarded the ferry at Gills bay 7.30pm as you can see we were packed on tightly, must admit I was concerned about parking up but all was good,

an hour later on a calm crossing we arrived at St Margaret’s Hope roughly 8.30pm,

• Like 3

We had a 14 mile drive to reach Kirkwall where we are staying at High Park Lodge, on our short journey up we passed the wreckage of the SS Reginald at the third Churchill Barrier, absolutely stunning views,

these photos were taken in dwindling light 8.45pm,

We Soon reached Kirkwall,

Lodge is really nice clean and tidy with parking down the side, parked up for the night and retreat for a beer,

Spot of sight seeing tomorrow.

• Like 7

Went to see the St Magnus Cathederal and the grounds of the Bishops and Earl’s Palace this morning, we are going to see the Italian chapel on Monday, this afternoon we went to see a few motors that are tucked away up here,

A nice porche 911 targa,

An immaculate Vauxhall Lotus Carlton 

But the most interesting of the lot was this newly completed Manta GT/E coupe, nearly identical to mine,

going out with a few lads and wife’s from up here in Orkney to the Kirkwall Hotel and hopefully a few beers.

me parked up for the night ready for the vintage rally tomorrow.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 5

Attended the Orkney Vintage Rally today then the club lad’s went out for a run to tour and see the sights,

We stopped for photos outside St Magnus Cathedral before we set off,

We made our way to the Ring of Broadgar standing stone’s taking in the view’s as we went,

Another photo opportunity at Scapa Beach. 

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 9

That’s us heading for home, Orkney has been brilliant, what a beautiful place, well worth the visit,

Had a quick look in past The Italian Chapel on our way back to St Margaret’s Hope to board ferry,

Queuing up waiting to board,

This is the ferry we got when we arrived and it’s the same one on the way home, believe this or not, this shouldn’t have been the ferry we got, the one we booked ran aground about a month ago, they are saying that they put it on autopilot and the guy fell asleep, 

That’s me on again and happy with the parking space, this ferry was up for sale but they have put it back into service till they get the other one back into service again.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Another beautiful summer day here up in the North East of Scotland, so decided to have a run out in the Manta up to Fyvie Castle,

The Estate ground’s there are beautiful,

There is a vintage rally here on Sunday 18th September, would like to attend but think I’ve got other comments that weekend, will see nearer the time,

Eventually I’ve been able to track down a Black mast Ariel, I didn’t think the Chrome one suited the Manta, so changed it over,

A quick photo of the Daytona check Recaros,

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

These Bilstein dampers have just arrived, I have had them on order since 28th March 2022. 

They are,

Manta B Monotube B6 rear damper's 220/80 Fast road 24-008938

Manta B Monotube B6 front damper’s 254/103 Fast road 24-008839

The ones I have on at the moment are the ones that the car came with when I purchased it back in April 2016 and the Manta had been stored in a garage before that when the road tax and mot expired in August 1999, so if my calculations are correct they are at least 23 years old. 

I’m hoping to be able to fit the new Bilstein’s  this weekend. 

• Like 8