Mike's Manta.

Mike.

Had a fuel pipe go (D611 TDM ) on the morning that we were going to Germany, 1995 ,very quick repair carried out. 
The manta was a 100% spot on 

Old photos come out upside down 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

MOT test time today,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I was hoping the MOT tester wouldn’t have to use the big crowbars and hammers to find rust spots! some vicious looking tools on there 🤣

Passed no problem, no advisories, I do keep on top of regular maintenance,

all good to go for spring/summer👍

It’s not that often that I get a look at it on the ramp, she had a full service, oil, filters, gear box oil, diff oil checked, 

chassis legs and jacking points still clean & fresh,

Floorpans still looking great,

drip tray keeps engine bay clean,

Still looks fresh & clean underneath for having covered 10,000mls since rebuild.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 9

Are you sure it's 10k miles? Must use it alot. 

Looking very cool, like the drip tray idea, or splash guard, is it self made or used from something else. 

Have you seen any advertisement for Lanoguard, would you consider using it? 

MOT Question, do they lift the car up using blocks on the body then put the tyres on pads and try to shake the poor thing to death? 

Do they put the car on rollers and brake with a size 12 work boot whilst holding on the the bottom of the steering wheel? Whilst trying to bring 40yr old brake system to better modern car tech, or beat a computer system. 

As you can guess I've a major concern with a (government) mot system. 

I seen the MOT tester pull a sliding bar thing on the raised ramp which has rubber pads on it, he adjusted them to suit the spring hangers on the back and worked like a small trolly jack handle to lift the manta up at the back, he then came out from underneath and tested both back wheels for what I think was play in the bearings, he then lowered it back down on the raised ramp and then did the same thing to the front wheels. You can see the sliding bar attachment on the ramp on the last picture of the drip tray/ underside of car. I could only view from a viewing window, wish I had seen the whole process,

yes, 10,000mls since 2020, I try and use it as much as possible in spring & summer months, I had a trip up to Orkney last year and the year before I went to Jedburgh,

the drip tray is an OEM one bought a few years back from Sean400 on this site.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 2

That's really interesting, on MOT test. Mike how do they test the brakes on a rolling road? They measure imbalance, so in theory, if brakes are both 30% down, 50% 90% down on efficiency it's a pass. Same with shocks, as long as both sides are not showing an imbalance. 

Interesting on the jack, Northern Ireland has rocking pads that shake the car violently whilst 6ft in the air. 

Thankfully mantas are free from these animals, I MOT my own car, and pick a full day, and go over everything, I also get a second set of eyes on it. 

Nice job on the mileage, I only average out about 1k miles per year in each. 

Must look out for a drip tray, as it helps keep the engine bay, clean. 👍

• Like 1

Your Manta looks great Mike👍

In Belgium our Manta's are not free of those rocking pads. The front ones are V-shaped so they can pull your wheels violently while the cross-member is blocked. The same time they fit a pneumatic device in front of the drivers seat so they can block the brakes from a distance:

• Like 3

Yep, those plates move front and back, but also to the left and right. In the center of the lift is a movable hydraulic jack so they can block the rear axle and /or the front to check the bushes, ball joints etc. 

When they do this it looks like they are going to rip your car in pieces 😲

• 2 weeks later...

I’m always looking to improve small details on the Manta, one of these I noticed was the rusty cast iron exhaust manifold,

over the winter months I got a spare one shot blasted and ceramic coated,

I put protective covers over the wings and put the front of the Manta up on axle stands so I could undo the six bolts from the manifold to down pipe, then set about working in the engine bay getting everything out of the way,

job went easy, done over two nights, now I have a tidier engine bay, 

new gaskets were fitted during the swap over.

• Like 9

On 04/04/2023 at 17:38, ®evo03 said:

Thankfully most mantas are heading for MoT destruction exemption 😉

to be honest our cars are probably stronger in suspension design than most modern stuff anyway so if any faults were found or caused then the offending part was probably worn out anyway.!

all mine will continue to be annually motd. as usual. not had one fail yet .

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

to be honest our cars are probably stronger

Yeh the issue is, testers trying to make 40 yr old technology beat a machine, ie brake rolling road, and the imbalance criteria is very questionable, says it all when you have to state to them to be be careful with your property, at the end of the day the vehicle is only roadworthy on the date it was examined. 

I would much prefer to make sure my vehicle is roadworthy every day. 

Nice job Mike on the manifold 👍, was going to consider this, I was wondering if the cast could be improved before coating or would it affect the progress, and would different colours work better, seen some stuff done sky blue, but would it stay clean. Also seen white, and a gloss black. 

White, Grey & Blue Grey were my only options from GT Blast who did the ceramic coating, he blasted the manifold clean, applied a bond coat then ceramic coated and sealed. 
the white option was more of a cream colour, the grey was a funny colour so I chose the blue grey which in my eyes was the closest to what I would think of as a grey.

• Like 1

Every day’s a school day!

I’ve had the Manta now for 7 years and I have stripped it completely and re built it, but I had resigned myself to the fact that the little mercury filled bulb in the engine bay didn’t work, but to my surprise when I was out for a run tonight I discovered that it actually works,

it definitely put a smile on my face, and to think I was trying to find a replacement,

well pleased!

• Like 6