Mike's Manta.

Mike.

Just a few gremlins to sort out in the six dial dash binnacle, on the VDO oil pressure sender unit the needle would pop over to max right away, this was traced back to a poor connector in the wiring loom, next issue was a missing red light when ignition was on above the Volt gauge, again that was traced back to a faulty spade connector, after all the wiring looms are 34 years old,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Both red lights now work with ignition on now. 
next job is to start fitting lower dash now the electrics has been completed.

• Like 1

Tonight I started the installation of the lower dash parts now that most of the wiring is complete. I still have the binnacle to finalise, speedo cable, heater cables, binnacle cover etc but that’s another night,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

new gear stick gaiter fitted then centre console including cassette storage fixed into place with two screws below the cassette storage and two screws beside the handbrake, these were covered with the round and rectangle grey concealing covers. The tape deck/radio slot is fitted with a blanking plate for the moment, saves looking at an empty void, looks quite tidy and nice,

The boxes in the garage are nearly all empty  and most of the parts have found there way back onto the Manta, just some small items to finish off the interior trim, shouldn’t take long now. The ECU cover trim is stored in the boot at the moment, I’ll leave it off until I get her started just incase I need to swap out the ECU for a replacement.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m gearing up for the big day...........

start up!

the last tax disc expired on the Manta in August 1999 so I’m presuming this was the last time she ran, now November 2019  twenty years on I’m hoping all goes to plan and the Manta springs into life again. I have spoken with my local mechanic and he is going to give me two evenings this next week, one evening to fit the new injector seals and gaskets, fit the new powder coated rocker cover, fix the clutch cable into place and then a general check over, the second evening is for the start up.

fingers crossed all goes to plan.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I’m gearing up for the big day...........

start up!

the last tax disc expired on the Manta in August 1999 so I’m presuming this was the last time she ran, now November 2019  twenty years on I’m hoping all goes to plan and the Manta springs into life again. I have spoken with my local mechanic and he is going to give me two evenings this next week, one evening to fit the new injector seals and gaskets, fit the new powder coated rocker cover, fix the clutch cable into place and then a general check over, the second evening is for the start up.

fingers crossed all goes to plan.

Good luck mike, hope she purrs 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have fitted this CTEK battery conditioner to the Manta to keep her fully charged. The  CTEK comfort quick connection lead stays permanently attached to the battery terminals with a traffic light LED system so when the charger is not connected I get an idea of battery charge. It’s not obtrusive at all and will be easily tucked away when not in use, the charger when not in use will be removed, bagged up and stored in the boot

The charger has a smart 8 stage process:

1. Desulphation - removes sulphate build up on lead plates,

2. Soft start - tests battery to see if it will accept a charge, 
  3. Bulk charge -  charged with max current to 80% capacity 
  4. Absorption - continues to charge with declining current to maximise 100% charge                                  
  5.  Analyse - tests to check battery can hold charge       
  6. Recondition - a recondition mode can be used automatically if charger senses this is required   
  7. Float - fully charged - maintains battery voltage at 100%           
  8. pulse - monitors battery and gives a pulse as and when required to keep battery fully charged.                                                

It’s safe to leave powered up for prolonged months for winter storage.

it looks like my mechanic should be able to commission and start my 2.0E CIH engine early 2020, he’s just been very busy on the run up to the holidays.                                                   

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I have fitted this CTEK battery conditioner to the Manta to keep her fully charged. The  CTEK comfort quick connection lead stays permanently attached to the battery terminals with a traffic light LED system so when the charger is not connected I get an idea of battery charge. It’s not obtrusive at all and will be easily tucked away when not in use, the charger when not in use will be removed, bagged up and stored in the boot

The charger has a smart 8 stage process:

1. Desulphation - removes sulphate build      up on lead plates,

2. Soft start - tests battery to see if it will accept a charge, 
  3. Bulk charge -  charged with max current to 80% capacity 
  4. Absorption - continues to charge with declining current to maximise 100% charge                                  
  5.  Analyse - tests to check battery can hold charge       
  6. Recondition - a recondition mode can be used automatically if charger senses this is required   
  7. Float - fully charged - maintains battery voltage at 100%           
  8. pulse - monitors battery and gives a pulse as and when required to keep battery fully charged.                                                

It’s safe to leave powered up for prolonged months for winter storage.

it looks like my mechanic should be able to commission and start my 2.0E CIH engine early 2020, he’s just been very busy on the run up to the holidays.                                                   

Looked at these but never been sure if they are any good. Could definitely do with one on my XJR as that goes for very long periods without starting and battery is always on its last legs. 

How much was this one Mike?

Hi jessophia74

Check them out on e bay, there is new and used ones to suit any budget plus you may be able to get free postage as well, this one was around the £68 plus free postage and 5 years manufacturers guarantee 👍

29 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Hi jessophia74

Check them out on e bay, there is new and used ones to suit any budget plus you may be able to get free postage as well, this one was around the £68 plus free postage and 5 years manufacturers guarantee 👍

Thanks mate.

Got a smart changer on my bike (had one on the bandit for years as never got used) 

Only ever had 3 batteries in 17 years and most years only covered 150 miles or no miles 

Got mine from Aldi for about £14/15 pounds 

Have got one on the cbr650f at this time working spot on 

• 5 weeks later...

After a marathon effort this weekend, for the first time in 20years B414 EOC started and drove under her own steam, the Sportex exhaust sounds brilliant.

still setting up and timing issues to sort but nothing major, just small fettling jobs..........the project end is well within reach now, roll on spring, summer and NC500.

• Like 8

Took the Manta out today for a small shakedown just to see, ofcourse on a private road,

oil pressure gauge was reading healthy on the run, volt, temp, tank, revs and speedometer all working. She seemed very responsive to throttle, immediate get up and go when accelerator pressed, overall quite happy so far, still as you would expect from a complete strip down and rebuild spanning four years, there is still some little  things to sort out,
despite the haunting, high and low revs on idle which I’m trying to resolve what else did I find?

the seal in the back of the getrag 240 gearbox to the driveshaft, the one just above the gearbox mount needs replacing as a slight oil leak found there, can anyone point me in the right direction with identifying this seal from edelschmiede as they sell front and back seals, which one do I need?

I get used to seeing the Manta in the garage but today seeing her out on the road she looked completely different, I’m looking forward to getting out in her this coming spring 👍

• Like 5

Mike, if you painted your shaft clean it back to the about 20mm behind the seal, dont worry, it wont rust, i give your new seal 2 yrs and it will be leaking again. You could polish back to metal, as seals like a perfect round surface. 

Now matter how bad mantas are with rust, you will never have to weld a manta arond this area! The leaky seal is why! 

Forgot to say, looks the bizz! Fare play, health to enjoy

Edited by ®evo03

The hunting and high revs are now resolved by replacing the idle control valve and cleaning the pins in the mass air flow meter where the plug from the ECU connects in to it, so all good,

while spannering In the garage last night the old girl was telling me she is fed up with nearly 21 years collecting dust and cobwebs and she now has the fire back in her belly and she’s raring to get back out on the road, 😜

I still need to strobe the timing and make small adjustments but the bulk of the teething problems hopefully are now resolved, she sounds pretty good now.

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Manta picked up tonight in a covered trailer and away to get MOT prep work done this coming week,

she fits in quite snugly, had to work the ratchet straps from the side doors of the trailer.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I have just got the Manta back from Ricky Gauld motor engineer Huntly who did my final engine tuning/commissioning. The throttle position switch required reset, he worked on the auxiliary air bypass and bi metallic strip, cleaned corroded leads in distributor cap, re set base idle, ignition timing and fuel mixture. She is running spot on now.

she sailed through the MOT with no advisories, to be honest I wasn’t expecting anything untoward after 4 years work on her, so I’m all good to go, just need a road tax now.

looking forward to getting her out on the open road now 👍

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Mike. said:

She is running spot on now.

she sailed through the MOT with no advisories, to be honest I wasn’t expecting anything untoward after 4 years work on her, so I’m all good to go, just need a road tax now.

Excellent news all round! Good to hear you got the running problems all sorted. Looking spot-on.

I'd be tempted to paint the spare wheel well black on the underside.

• Like 1